Devtalk response on High Elves makes no sense

General Discussion
Prev 1 14 15 16 26 Next
04/30/2018 09:04 AMPosted by Kelrexia
The funniest thing is, even if they do it, they're not going to silence complaints. Their story with the Mag'har is establishing that we can just go to the next universe over and get more of any race we want.

Yup. Alt Azeroth where the Quel'dorei never joined the horde because it never invaded here we come!
No, I said that the Draenor Beta Mag'har have the exact same civilization and story as the orcs we already have.

Except that....you know......expansion we had before Legion.

except for having vastly different moral values and blood elves being fel-corrupted you mean.

Courtesy of their exposure to fel magic (the practice of which spread in a similar fashion to the orcs' own exposure to the substance, tainting even those in its proximity who chose not to dabble in it), the eyes of the sin'dorei now produce an emerald glow. This is the high elven's body's natural reaction to spending time around fel magig

This isnt a problem anymore. That part of their story ended.

Ready for this?

You never seem ready for this, but I'll still let you in on the secret.

Brace yourself, its a big one.....

Here it comes!

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Sunwell
04/30/2018 08:58 AMPosted by Gigabear
I am getting VERY concerned that Silver Covenant will be killed off in BFA early on.

The funniest thing is, even if they do it, they're not going to silence complaints. Their story with the Mag'har is establishing that we can just go to the next universe over and get more of any race we want.

It will be seen as a huge middle finger to pro-high elf players regardless of if it was always planned before this furor happened. Surely they wouldn't do something so catastrophically foolish!

At this juncture I wouldn't be surprised if Ion told Alex to kill off Vereesa and/or High Elves out of spite. Ignoring that, as mentioned, they've already shot themselves in the foot in that regard.
After the Q&A I would not be suprised. He clearly is taking the requests as some kind of personal slight against him. More over his performance of being both deranged levels of inconsistant and rude also lead me to believe he would rewrite the lore to get out of his screw up.
Oh wait, I have an even better scenario. Silver Covenant is killed, but raised into undeath. Then the alliance kills Sylvanas and they break free of the horde as...ALLIANCE FORSAKEN ELVES!

Ion: see guys, we do listen. Silver Covenant high Elves are now playable for alliance!
04/30/2018 09:06 AMPosted by Zanther
No, I said that the Draenor Beta Mag'har have the exact same civilization and story as the orcs we already have.

Except that....you know......expansion we had before Legion.

*Same clans, with the same hats, customs, characters, etc
*Still mindlessly follow the orders of whoever yells the loudest
*Still follow Grom despite him obviously being one of the worst things to ever happen to their species
*Still make concentrated efforts to wipe out species they have lived with in peace
*Still throw in with the Legion for no reason and at first available opportunity
*To build on the last few points, arbitrarily shuck responsibility for their actions on flimsy pretense

Seems exactly like the MU orcs to me. At best you can say there's a cultural divergence due to Garry's influence, but based on the arguments of your own camp that's not enough to justify an allied race, ssssoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....
it's like the retcons to end all retcons. high elves become blood elves, some are exiled and continue calling themselves high elves. these stay with the alliance but we can't play them because

1) they're boring goody 2 shoes because they refused to mana tap demons and magical creatures, and nobody wants them going around pretending like they're all righteous and stuff

2) they'd unbalance the factions,

3) blue eyes + blonde hair + white skin automatically makes them racists, white supremacists and world war 2 criminals ( lets ignore that most of the blue eyed white skinned blondes in the world actually fought against that bad guy in world war 2, not for.)

4) so now that the naru sacrificed itself to purify the sunwell, and belfs can be cleansed of the fel taint, they are becoming the goody two shoes and the high elves who didn't become infected with the fel taint, are being turned into void tainted. it's the only way we're allowed access to the high elves -- only after they've been turned purple and infected. you can't make this crap up without some serious brain scramble.
04/30/2018 10:16 AMPosted by Skywâlker
1) they're boring

To be fair, they are super boring.

2) they'd unbalance the factions

The Horde does already have High Elves with more interesting personalities, yes.

3) blue eyes + blonde hair + white skin automatically makes them racists

Ion said if you want to play an elf with specific physical look/features, its in game already. If you want to make that an accusation of some sort, that is your prerogative.

4) so now that the naru sacrificed itself to purify the sunwell, and belfs can be cleansed of the fel taint, they are becoming the goody two shoes

The Blood Elves don't really seem any different in their ambitions.

you can't make this crap up without some serious brain scramble.

Its already a story about elves and orcs and wizards and alternate dimensions and time travel and demons and space robots and dragons and what not. Oh, these guys got void tainted, none of this makes sense anymore!
It doesn't make sense because you don't want it to.

Their logic is sound, but your determination to see high elves as a playable race makes you want to disregard any argument that doesn't support you.

If this sounds harsh, it's because it's intended to be; you can't ignore every argument if you want to find a solution that has even a remote chance of being viable.

The problems with high elves have been listed, again and again. Find solutions to these problems instead of pretending they are irrelevant and you might someday see playable high elves.
04/29/2018 06:02 PMPosted by Sheèp
And that's why the forums exploded this week.

Yep and i dont get it. And thats coming from someone first interest in rpg and high fantasy lore since the 1980s ... im a major geek into elves dwarfs etc. In these games and i still dont get the huge drama being made over high elves.
04/30/2018 10:36 AMPosted by Mythreus
Yep and i dont get it. And thats coming from someone first interest in rpg and high fantasy lore since the 1980s ... im a major geek into elves dwarfs etc. In these games and i still dont get the huge drama being made over high elves.

Its really a lot fewer people keeping this going than you might think.
04/30/2018 10:32 AMPosted by Aengeal

Its already a story about elves and orcs and wizards and alternate dimensions and time travel and demons and space robots and dragons and what not. Oh, these guys got void tainted, none of this makes sense anymore!

the point is, if goody two shoes is what makes the non-infected high elves boring, how is it okay if the thing is turned on its head, literally, making the blood elves the non-infected goody two shoes, while the alliance "high elves" are turned into being void infected blood elves. what is wrong with this picture.

devs: these alliance high elves are like a bunch of boring nerds who refused to drink in high school. they'd be unpoplar cause they're boring. let's not make them playable. instead we'll give them these guys who are drinkers.

3 years later

devs: these horde blood elves deserve to be cured of their drinking problem. but these alliance high elves are still too boring. besides they'd unbalance the factions (boring, unpopular guys are somehow too popular and exciting to be playable). so nope not playable.

7 years later

devs: okay okay fine. give them blood elves but make THEIR version, have a drinking problem. now they aren't boring (oh and the cured, goody two shoes blood elves on horde, are not boring. the only way they can be unboring if they're alliance, is if they're turned into the infected blood elves on the alliance.).
Man, how exactly do you guys want to be told "no"?
04/30/2018 11:16 AMPosted by Deannia
Man, how exactly do you guys want to be told "no"?

oh i know it's no. i'm just griping cause it's like my favorite game of all time, is being destroyed due to too many years of faction favoritism on one side. and the people on the faction who are being favored dont recognize that the favoritism even exists, or if they do recognize it, they refuse to criticize it cause its in their favor. but now it's actually ruining the game. i'm literally fighting for the survival of the game.
04/30/2018 10:36 AMPosted by Lorina

Their logic is sound, but your determination to see high elves as a playable race makes you want to disregard any argument that doesn't support you.

If this sounds harsh, it's because it's intended to be; you can't ignore every argument if you want to find a solution that has even a remote chance of being viable.

The problems with high elves have been listed, again and again. Find solutions to these problems instead of pretending they are irrelevant and you might someday see playable high elves.

Every problem with High Elves being playable has virtually been debunked by Void Elves existence.

They are a elf race with the same exact model and animations as Blood Elves, with the tone slider on their skin turned to purple. They initially started from a single quest chain a few months ago, and are written to be able to make enough to make an entire faction of them.

Comparing that to the Silver Covenant, who has been allied with the Alliance since at least WOTLK, with appearances in quests, Alliance hubs and Sanctuaries, even in Dalaran today. With already established lore which could be expanded upon.

I don't know what Ion has against the Alliance getting High Elves, but he seems to want to cut off his nose to spite his face.

It's like the Horde asking for Mag'Har Orcs and getting Lightforged Orcs.
If anyone is unclear as to why people keep saying nightbourne are night elves, Tyrande Malfurion and Illidan grew up in Suramar.
04/30/2018 11:40 AMPosted by Pocketwrench
04/30/2018 10:36 AMPosted by Lorina

Every problem with High Elves being playable has virtually been debunked by Void Elves existence.

They are a elf race with the same exact model and animations as Blood Elves, with the tone slider on their skin turned to purple. They initially started from a single quest chain a few months ago, and are written to be able to make enough to make an entire faction of them.

Comparing that to the Silver Covenant, who has been allied with the Alliance since at least WOTLK, with appearances in quests, Alliance hubs and Sanctuaries, even in Dalaran today. With already established lore which could be expanded upon.

I don't know what Ion has against the Alliance getting High Elves, but he seems to want to cut off his nose to spite his face.

It's like the Horde asking for Mag'Har Orcs and getting Lightforged Orcs.

the dude is a horde player and was the guild master of elitist jerks before he was hired by blizz. it seems most of the devs are horde and think alliance players are a bunch of boring nerds. the only way we're gonna get anything we want for allied races is if it's exactly what they want, and since they are all hordies, that means the horde are choosing our allied races. literally.

that terrible moment where you realize you're paying money to be frustrated and insulted
04/30/2018 11:41 AMPosted by Anidor
If anyone is unclear as to why people keep saying nightbourne are night elves, Tyrande Malfurion and Illidan grew up in Suramar.

Except that the Night Elves of Suramar were changed for the Nightwell, with marked physical and cultural differences.
it's like the retcons to end all retcons. high elves become blood elves, some are exiled and continue calling themselves high elves. these stay with the alliance but we can't play them because

1) they're boring goody 2 shoes because they refused to mana tap demons and magical creatures, and nobody wants them going around pretending like they're all righteous and stuff

2) they'd unbalance the factions,

3) blue eyes + blonde hair + white skin automatically makes them racists, white supremacists and world war 2 criminals ( lets ignore that most of the blue eyed white skinned blondes in the world actually fought against that bad guy in world war 2, not for.)

4) so now that the naru sacrificed itself to purify the sunwell, and belfs can be cleansed of the fel taint, they are becoming the goody two shoes and the high elves who didn't become infected with the fel taint, are being turned into void tainted. it's the only way we're allowed access to the high elves -- only after they've been turned purple and infected. you can't make this crap up without some serious brain scramble.

I have no faith in Blizzard lore since Garrosh went from honorable but brutal leader in 1-60 cata, then changed to hiding a nuke in Theramore for lols.
04/30/2018 12:13 PMPosted by Kundros
04/30/2018 11:41 AMPosted by Anidor

Except that the Night Elves of Suramar were changed for the Nightwell, with marked physical and cultural differences.

Change a few words around and you just described the relationship between high elves and blood elves. Just because the in game models don't show a physical difference doesn't mean it's not there. In addition to the blue eyes, high elves tend to be far paler (This difference is in the in game models) and have rounded facial features compares to blood elves. This is why Alleria's and Sylvannas' face is much rounder compared to anything using a blood elf model, you see it more with Alleria than Sylvannas, but even Sylvannas has far less pronounced cheek bones. (Edit; I heard this many years ago and what we see in game with any high elf with a unique model matches up with that however I can not for the life of me find a source)
04/30/2018 12:27 PMPosted by Anidor
04/30/2018 12:13 PMPosted by Kundros

Change a few words around and you just described the relationship between high elves and blood elves. Just because the in game models don't show a physical difference doesn't mean it's not there. In addition to the blue eyes, high elves tend to be far paler (This difference is in the in game models) and have rounded facial features compares to blood elves. This is why Alleria's and Sylvannas' face is much rounder compared to anything using a blood elf model, you see it more with Alleria than Sylvannas, but even Sylvannas has far less pronounced cheek bones.

The difference betwenn a Nightborne and a Night Elf it is of 10.000 years,instead the difference betwenn a High elf and a Blood elf is 30-40 years; How in a short time,these last have greats physical and cultural differences? Can you show me some real cultural difference beyond being in the alliance? Beyond not suck magic from other livings things?