How did the High Elf topic get crazy?

General Discussion
What would be hilarious is if Blizz finally just said, "Yer all fired.", and then shut down the servers forever. I wonder if everybody who is crying about this, that and the other changes they hate so much or Ion's "disrespectful attitude" might suddenly realize how completely ridiculous they sound.
Ion actually explained perfectly why they went with void elves over high elves... the problem is that it was one sentence and it was followed by telling people to roll horde, so they didn't pick up on it.

Just like Blizz was harping on about class fantasy for legion, the races have fantasies too.

High elves deliver on the same fantasy as blood elves, just on another faction. And while being on alliance would be a huge part of the fantasy for some people, they don't want 2 races delivering the same fantasy. So they changed the fantasy and made void elves.

I think he really should have stressed and elaborated that point, instead of mentioning it in passing and leaving it to be ignored by everyone.
I'd be fine with playable High Elves if it wasn't for the spamming, entitled, High Elf demanders.

Extremists screaming in my face for 10 years have made me into an extremist against them.
Need official statement concerning the Void Elves and not some one line please.
Pretty sure the idea of Allied Races in general was the catalyst for the widespread want. High Elves aren't completely different enough to warrant their own race the way they've added ones like Worgen, Goblin, and Pandaren. But then we have Allied Races, which are slight variations of existing races in a lot of cases. That opened the floodgates, I think, because a lot of the folks who always kinda wanted them these past 13 years now had an avenue to say "it's possible".

I don't think the desire for them ever changed. It's just that people are being more vocal about it because there's an actual avenue to do it now.

Also, for everyone else complaining, this same community threw a fit in Warlords of Draenor about "Orc fatigue". This is what you get.

I don't see you cheering that we're no longer swarmed by Orcs, though. So I guess it wasn't that bad after all, just like this "elf fatigue" isn't an issue either.
05/01/2018 09:55 AMPosted by Threeslotbag
I'd be fine with playable High Elves if it wasn't for the spamming, entitled, High Elf demanders.

Extremists screaming in my face for 10 years have made me into an extremist against them.

I had almost the same experience, cept I got attacked by them when the whole Nightborne on the Horde drama started.
We just had an expansion chock full of Elves - living, and dead. Alas they were (mostly) neutral - Malfurion, Cenarius, Illidan, Prince Farondis, and Thalyssra/Nightborne (at least for 99% of the expansion) which I think got the Alliance ire up.

Special note here though: Tyrande. Yes i know she is rude/mean to Thalyssra, and is a huge hag in Val'sharah. Not so fast though, as a die-hard Horde I have NEVER been a fan or liked Tyrande in the least. The quest in Val'sharah has given me some respect for her though. Her choosing her service to Elune over her love for Malfurion impressed me a lot. I was also very impressed that at the end of the quest line she genuinely thanks you for helping and even acknowledges you as a member of the Horde - which is a TON more than I can say about Velen at then end of Legion. Props to Tyrande!

I don't care what Alliance says - this whole business about High Elves is due to the fact that the Nightborne went Horde and they are STILL salty over it.

It is over and done...move on!
05/01/2018 09:40 AMPosted by Jehanne
Because Blizzard opened Pandora's box with allied races, and now people want to play anything with 2 arms and 2 legs irregardless of whether or not it actually makes sense from a story or game play perspective.

Actually.. with some people the 2 legs is optional based on the Naga threads. I'm waiting for the arms to be optional too. :)

(cookies for all!)
1) Blizzard features Silver Covenant high elves and surviving Windrunner sisters prominently in Legion.

2) Blizzard annouces allied races, which seemed designed to give us minor variants of existing races.

3) Blizzards sends Ion out to diplomatically tell folks "no" on Alliance high elves. He proceeds to be anything but diplomatic, and doesn't quite give a firm no.
I've been playing for 10 years and this has been a pretty big issue as long as I remember.
Because a handful of people have been encouraged to spam multiple threads on their many characters to make it appear that there is huge, huge demand for this. From everybody who plays the game.

The same people have been saying they report everyone that posts in disagreement and have encouraged others to false report in the same way to silence those who disagree.

We used to see a thread or two a week, because there was some demand. Now we see hundreds. That's the reason.
05/01/2018 09:44 AMPosted by Archmage
Only Horde get Allied Races they were requesting.

So you alliance didn't request Dark Iron. Odd.

Only Horde get complete new Mount Models in BFA.

Actually Alliance models are new as well, just new version of old things that actually look amazing while hordes look horrible. New, but horrible vs. old, but great.

Only Horde get polished quest lines.

lol, sure.

Only Horde get New Structure/Buildings Assets.

After a decade of "poop huts", spikes, and leather walls? Also the Mesoamerican aesthetics < Gothic ascetics imo.

Only Horde get more Customization for Core Races.

Again after a decade of having to deal with them being wrong in the first place.

Only Horde get Strong Racials.

So you are ignoring BfA nerfs?
It started when Void elves were pulled out of thin air and High elf fans were expected to like them.

The Horde getting almost everything on their wishlist fulfilled added to the fire.

Now Alliance has been denied their most requested race because Ion doesn't know basic Helf lore and never listened to the community about how they can work.
Lets see...

Only Horde get Allied Races they were requesting.

I've been requesting a Dark Elf type race for years.

Only Horde get complete new Mount Models in BFA.

Yeah, that 6 year old Dinosaur recolor. So new.

Only Horde get polished quest lines.

Matter of opinion. My opinion is of the opposite

Only Horde get New Structure/Buildings Assets.

Horde have been using the same archetype for years. Red spiky metal huts.

Only Horde get more Customization for Core Races.

Depends on the race? Human got a ton.

Only Horde get Strong Racials.

EMFH was the strongest most broken pvp racial for how long?

Both that and AT got nerfed

Only Horde matters for Blizzard! If you're envy about it, dont worry:

"The Horde is there for you!" - Ion Hordekkostas

Their story is a crock of crap, with the same story being recycled a 2nd time in BFA. Meanwhile, Anduin has had his own continuing story arc since Cata.
It started when Void elves were pulled out of thin air and High elf fans were expected to like them.

The Horde getting almost everything on their wishlist fulfilled added to the fire.

Now Alliance has been denied their most requested race because Ion doesn't know basic Helf lore and never listened to the community about how they can work.

What I find baffling is the insistance on the ProHE side that they have this massive community, i.e., a majority, behind them. Pretty sure that if the support for this were that strong, they'd have done it.

Not only that, the claims from HElfers that Velves are this massive Fail?? I sure am seeing a helluva lot of Velves running around for such a failed idea. I love my VElf btw. I wouldn't have rolled a HElf. Can you say "Yaaaawwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnn..."?
05/01/2018 10:29 AMPosted by Kuuretar
1) Blizzard features Silver Covenant high elves and surviving Windrunner sisters prominently in Legion.

2) Blizzard annouces allied races, which seemed designed to give us minor variants of existing races.

3) Blizzards sends Ion out to diplomatically tell folks "no" on Alliance high elves. He proceeds to be anything but diplomatic, and doesn't quite give a firm no.

Ding ding ding.
05/01/2018 10:52 AMPosted by Brænnuð

What I find baffling is the insistance on the ProHE side that they have this massive community, i.e., a majority, behind them. Pretty sure that if the support for this were that strong, they'd have done it.

Not only that, the claims from HElfers that Velves are this massive Fail?? I sure am seeing a helluva lot of Velves running around for such a failed idea. I love my VElf btw. I wouldn't have rolled a HElf. Can you say "Yaaaawwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnn..."?

They're only saying it's a fail to try and manipulate Blizz in to giving them what they want.
But I agree, there are A TON of VElves around, they're a massive success.
When they were released I was flabbergasted I didn't think the Alliance would get something so cool and edgy.
I loved them so much I have two and I try to avoid duplicate races like the plague.
05/01/2018 10:36 AMPosted by Hamstar
EMFH is nerfed, nothing is buffed

Arcane Torrent is nerfed, Berserking is buffed
05/01/2018 11:16 AMPosted by Teilvia
05/01/2018 10:36 AMPosted by Hamstar
EMFH is nerfed, nothing is buffed

Berserking buffed?

A single racial?

HORDE FAVORITISM!!!!!111
05/01/2018 11:20 AMPosted by Zanther
05/01/2018 11:16 AMPosted by Teilvia
...EMFH is nerfed, nothing is buffed

Berserking buffed?

A single racial?

HORDE FAVORITISM!!!!!111
They decided to buff one of the strongest personal cooldowns in the game, which is a racial. I'm not upset or anything, I'm just confused.