How did the High Elf topic get crazy?

General Discussion
You shoulda seen the posts about Not[u][/u] putting a wardrobe in WoW and playing dressups.

That was berzerking for real.
Look I don't really care what comes of this. No Alliance High Elf's fine if horde only thats fine too. Only gave a possibility in the end albeit a very faint one, and yeah I did give some points towards High Elves because maybe the people who pre-ordered BfA and played the Void Elves or the beta testers might actually have a valid say in this subject at least they tried and wanted to give they're opinions and not argue just for the sake of because. Look at Sonic the Hedgehog, for decades the series suffered with poor to mildly okay releases until last year when Sonic Mania came out and that was made by fans with permission from Sega. Fan can have a strong point... sadly it just has to found in the cesspit that is any forum on the internet nowadays.
05/01/2018 09:44 AMPosted by Archmage
Lets see...

Only Horde get Allied Races they were requesting.
Only Horde get complete new Mount Models in BFA.
Only Horde get polished quest lines.
Only Horde get New Structure/Buildings Assets.
Only Horde get more Customization for Core Races.
Only Horde get Strong Racials.

Only Horde matters for Blizzard! If you're envy about it, dont worry:

"The Horde is there for you!" - Ion Hordekkostas
Hey, let's not be too hasty. A lot of people wanted Dark Irons and their racials are pretty solid. Their one-headed core hound mount is unique (and really dumb looking, IMO).

And... that's it, really.
05/01/2018 09:39 AMPosted by Maizou
If he had just said "No we don't plan on making them playable." I doubt it would have blown up as big as it did.

After they finally announced classic servers? Yes, it would have blown up mostly the same way, just with less fake outrage over being told to roll Horde.

Aside from Zandalari, I don't think Horde got anything they actually requested. They did want brown Orcs, but not as a separate race, same deal with Highmountain Tauren being a separate race instead of an option for regular Tauren.

We haven't seen all of the new mount models yet, and I'm willing to bet that several of the new Horde mount models will actually be available cross-faction while Horde will get maybe one Alliance mount model.

Opinion. Especially since the Horde seem to be more subject to cartoonishly evil antics thanks to Blizzard not being able to figure out a morally grey stance for the faction.

Have you seen existing Horde architecture? Go back to WoD garrisons and tell me which faction needs more help with new buildings.

Like what? Straight-backed Orcs? Huge customization there, no really.

They're backing off on this a bit and giving some decent stuff to Alliance too. Not that the racials matter that much in the first place. People get too obsessed over very minor advantages.
People love helfs for whatever reason and they are passionate about them which creates conversation which creates threads which creates drama. While I personally don't care either way if they were added I do sympathize and feel like Ions logic is really bad. Instead of making excuses which are just proven false with the void elves they just need to come out and say they don't want to add them and probably never will.
personally...idgaf about HE.

WhatI dont like is....3 ally races are humans..

humans, worgen, kul'tirans...

THEY ARE ALL HUMAN!

worgen could be passed as they have an infection...but kul'tirans? they are humans...nothing special about them. PLAIN HUMANS.
The people behind the pro-movement are willing to sacrifice a great many things and push aside real-life priorities to maintain their cause. They take everything as a perceived slight against them from Blizzard, but if a Blue extends their thread they squeal with glee about how Blizzard is supporting their cause. It's madness.

That man needs to wake up! I'm playin' to fight the Horde, not work for 'em!

05/01/2018 11:58 PMPosted by Poesia
The people behind the pro-movement are willing to sacrifice a great many things and push aside real-life priorities to maintain their cause.

Well, they don't need to make it happen right now. Making them playable in a future patch, with the other allied races being added in, would be fine. BfA's still in its beta phase, after all, so that would give them plenty of time to improve other things in the game first.
05/01/2018 09:28 AMPosted by Squallken
11 years ago, I don't think anyone had a problem with the Blood Elves (renamed from High Elves) joining the Horde and Night Elves were main stays for the Alliance.

You don't think, eh? Well, back then it was "How do Blood Elves joining the Horde make any sense?" and "The Horde doesn't want stupid Elves!"
05/01/2018 09:40 AMPosted by Jehanne
Because Blizzard opened Pandora's box with allied races, and now people want to play anything with 2 arms and 2 legs irregardless of whether or not it actually makes sense from a story or game play perspective.

this
05/01/2018 09:49 AMPosted by Buffmage
Ion actually explained perfectly why they went with void elves over high elves... the problem is that it was one sentence and it was followed by telling people to roll horde, so they didn't pick up on it.

Just like Blizz was harping on about class fantasy for legion, the races have fantasies too.

High elves deliver on the same fantasy as blood elves, just on another faction. And while being on alliance would be a huge part of the fantasy for some people, they don't want 2 races delivering the same fantasy. So they changed the fantasy and made void elves.

I think he really should have stressed and elaborated that point, instead of mentioning it in passing and leaving it to be ignored by everyone.

Blood elves don't deliver the same fantasy at all though. They follow the lich queen are fine with dead kids getting chopped up and turned into aboms, lobotomized human slaves, a new plague, etc. They joined their ancient enemies the trolls, the orcs who firebombed their forests, and the risen Lord humans who abandoned them. They realistically make zero sense on the horde but the horde was dying because of no pretty races so blizz handwaved them from originally being alliance to horde.
05/01/2018 09:40 AMPosted by Jehanne
Because Blizzard opened Pandora's box with allied races, and now people want to play anything with 2 arms and 2 legs irregardless of whether or not it actually makes sense from a story or game play perspective.

This is actually pretty accurate. I'm not someone who played WoW from the beginning, but several of my friends mention having wanted High Elves from then. They thought it was odd alliance got Gnomes rather than Elves, though they could understand after Warcraft 3 & TFT. Despite the events of W3, several still felt even from the early days that High Elfs still made sense in the Alliance — as much as Blood Elves in the Horde.

The allied races really opened the door more than ever. Most in my circle believed that Blood Elves were the definitive reason Alliance would never see High Elves. However, with many of the so-far announced allied races being closely related to currently available ones, it suddenly seemed plausible.

I think Void Elves were a pretty cool offering, but just fall short in most Alliance players eyes. They (myself included) would prefer the fantasy of the elf race that's been entwined with their faction since the Second War, instead of a new group that's just now showing up.

I understand the High Elf fantasy isn't for everyone; But at this point it seems Blizzard could pull it off, and there's at least a sizable portion of folks that are determined to make their voices heard about them doing so.
05/01/2018 09:37 AMPosted by Anillei
It only got crazy cause people with a huge sense of entitlement decided to throw a tantrum and try to censor everything and everyone that don't appease their twisted little idea of what the word 'No' really means. Sure Ion could have been a little more tactful about it but I would be impatient with a question like that too if I had children screaming in my ear for a literal copy paste of another race that has exactly zero differences from another. So I get where he came from with his tone.

Quit the crap. Calling people children doesn't make what Ian said valid. Has nothing to do with tact.

The guy had no points whatsoever. Every single thing said about High Elves also applies to Void Elves. Void Elves are, in fact, in a worse place for addition because of how poorly designed they are. And you're just patting him on the head because he said what your self-centered Blood Elf ego wanted to hear: that High Elves won't be coming.

Go back to your "Blood Elves should have blue eyes" threads, will you?
05/01/2018 11:20 AMPosted by Zanther
05/01/2018 11:16 AMPosted by Teilvia
...EMFH is nerfed, nothing is buffed

Arcane Torrent is nerfed, Berserking is buffed

Berserking buffed?

A single racial?

HORDE FAVORITISM!!!!!111

Name one Alliance racial better then Beserking. Do it, go right ahead.
My best guess is that the people currently playing this game are more shallow than players back then and obsessed with appearance more than actual gameplay. Considering that Blizzard's big advancements lately revolve largely around transmog and "allied" races while they prune gameplay back for a third expansion in a row, I think this is the audience they're shooting for.

Heck, back then people didn't even have high expectations for matching armor, let alone the look of the toon they played. I think the biggest issue people had with the TBC races was that Metzen retconned the entire lore of both Eredar and Draenei to give the Alliance goat people in an inter dimensional castle boat who weren't very good at piloting it.
I think its not the people arguing over the whole issue that are crazy; I'm crazy for saying we should roll with it.

Take the Void Elves, make a few guilds named "Silver Covenant" made entirely of Void Elves, and watch Ion, the Horde, and both the Pro and the Anti side of the High Elf argument blow a blood vessel over how WRONG it is.

If you can't solve your problems, turn it into something absurd that makes no sense... That's the way of the real RPer.

... Or maybe we're all a little mad... Like Alice in Wonderland... *Cheshire Grin*.
Lets see...

Only Horde matters for Blizzard! If you're envy about it, dont worry:

Horde is also pretty unabashedly EVIL this time around. Without even the excuse of Garrosh's Kor'Kron to hide behind this time. One almost wonders if all this cosmetic fluff is to make up for the fact on the narrative front, the Horde's getting hit with the Villain Bat once more.
That man needs to wake up! I'm playin' to fight the Horde, not work for 'em!

Well then you are exactly where you need to be:)

05/02/2018 12:01 AMPosted by Cassima
Well, they don't need to make it happen right now. Making them playable in a future patch,

You were told no, accept it and move on. For the entirety of this games history they have not been playable, wasn't an issue back then, it shouldn't be one now, nothing has changed.
05/02/2018 05:09 AMPosted by Krothare
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Berserking buffed?

A single racial?

HORDE FAVORITISM!!!!!111

Name one Alliance racial better then Beserking. Do it, go right ahead.

You mean, when sorting unique racials on a ladder, one has to be at the top?

HORDE FAVORITISM!!!!!!!!!11

Also, EMFH is still the best pvp racial, despite the nerf.

/rekt?