Alliance High Elves Should be a Playable Race

General Discussion
Prev 1 91 92 93 126 Next
My guess is we aren't really going to get high elves, if we do, it will be a different group retconned in in some way. Like "high elves that hide after the 3rd war, assumed to be dead but actually fled off into the ocean" or "alternate timeline azeroth" Idk something like that. Then they just let Vereesa lead them.

Most likely, I think, since according to Wowpedia, we will have void elves with high elf skins in some way since "high elves and blood elves are joining void elves to escape judgement for pursuing knowledge. " So, maybe they will treat it like Mag'har or really most of the Allied races where they have the whole "Tattoo" thing going on.

I'd personally be ok with that since they are ALSO high elves and give them more of an "identity". Then just give them Black/White hair and I'll be fine. Gotta compromise sometimes. Better than nothing.
why is everyone in this thread pretending that the blood elves are not high elves both lorewise and looks wise san red eye color instead of blue which was explained in lore

thousands of posts literally over a red eye instead of a blue eye
why is everyone in this thread pretending that the blood elves are not high elves both lorewise and looks wise san red eye color instead of blue which was explained in lore

thousands of posts literally over a red eye instead of a blue eye, them getting corrupted made people rage this hard?

If you honest to god believe that and genuinely don't know what Pro-High Elf people actually want you have absolutely no right using lore to try and back you up, cause you're wrong.
05/06/2018 10:34 PMPosted by Mercius

why are you ignoring the discussion of this issue right in the op, which makes it clear that no one is denying this fact, least of all high elf supporters? it's fine to feel like that fact means you're not into high elves for the alliance, but it's silly to act like it's somehow something that no one else is talking about, too.

(also, "red" eyes? do you even go here; did you get lost on your way to a San'layn thread)

---

anyway. I'm not holding my breath on this, and don't even feel that connected to High Elves; I just want to see the Alliance get a nice thing that would make a lot of people happy. That's the fun of allied races, right? Nice things, that make us happy? We've seen fan favorites go to the Horde, and I want to feel the love from the devs too.
05/06/2018 10:20 PMPosted by Avinar
Most likely, I think, since according to Wowpedia, we will have void elves with high elf skins in some way since "high elves and blood elves are joining void elves to escape judgement for pursuing knowledge. "
I don't think so. I think since John Hight said Wildhammer Dwarves are no immediate plans but always possible means that they're not going to shoe-horn separate groups into existing ones just for the sake of "easy implementation."

So Wildhammer will end up coming as their own separate thing that means High Elves would come as their own separate thing as well. Since for both of these races it's either tattoos that separate the former, and blue eyes that separate the latter.

Whether people want to say this race is that race, isn't the point.

The GROUP that calls themselves High Elves have a divergence of story from the GROUP that calls themselves Blood Elves.

The Void Elf GROUP also have a different story from the High Elf GROUP because it was actually Void Elves who were Blood Elves before becoming Void Elves.

Even this Void Elf female silly explains it right:
First was high, then blood, and now void. Get the order right.
Shows that ALL VOID ELVES were Blood Elves before becoming Void Elves. This flies in the face of the speculation of "oh High Elves are now also being turned into Void Elves." To me, until it's explicitly shown that High Elves are or that Void Elves are even able to make new Void Elves then at this current point the existing, playable Void Elves are those that were turned in the scenario.

We are only pretending Blood Elves are different to High Elves, because Blizzard pretends Blood Elves are different to High Elves.

Otherwise there would be no Silver Covenant vs Sunreavers. Alleria and Vareesa would be hanging out in Undercity with Sylvanas.

We are only following the rules Blizzard laid down.

Because the politics is more important than the body for some people to some extent. The fact they changed their name and betrayed their past by joining Horde is enough to think of Blood Elves as race traitors that need to be separated from the loyalists in any way possible.

Your assessment that "they're physically the same" only analyses it skin deep. The beating heart and soul of both factions have fundamentally different values; the High Elves of the Alliance favouring loyalty and attachment to their past, even if its past grudges... While the Blood Elves favour pragmatism, and are willing to discard their past, and in a weird way, I think in that in taking on their new name "in honour of the dead", they effectively buried their past along with them.

I'd say the eye colour change does lead into a direction that if we jumped into the future and checked back on them, they'd be completely different; and the fact their futures will lead into that is an important distinction on its own... However that's only my own opinion, I get the distinct feeling the rest of this thread disagrees with that assessment.
05/06/2018 10:20 PMPosted by Avinar
Most likely, I think, since according to Wowpedia, we will have void elves with high elf skins in some way since "high elves and blood elves are joining void elves to escape judgement for pursuing knowledge. "
I don't think so. I think since John Hight said Wildhammer Dwarves are no immediate plans but always possible means that they're not going to shoe-horn separate groups into existing ones just for the sake of "easy implementation."

So Wildhammer will end up coming as their own separate thing that means High Elves would come as their own separate thing as well. Since for both of these races it's either tattoos that separate the former, and blue eyes that separate the latter.

Whether people want to say this race is that race, isn't the point.

The GROUP that calls themselves High Elves have a divergence of story from the GROUP that calls themselves Blood Elves.

The Void Elf GROUP also have a different story from the High Elf GROUP because it was actually Void Elves who were Blood Elves before becoming Void Elves.

Even this Void Elf female silly explains it right:
First was high, then blood, and now void. Get the order right.
Shows that ALL VOID ELVES were Blood Elves before becoming Void Elves. This flies in the face of the speculation of "oh High Elves are now also being turned into Void Elves." To me, until it's explicitly shown that High Elves are or that Void Elves are even able to make new Void Elves then at this current point the existing, playable Void Elves are those that were turned in the scenario.

I'm not saying it's not different, it just definitely seems like they want to slowly kill off the remaining high elves in several ways. They keep slowly chipping the remaining high elves away. I'm just saying a "most likely" view from my perspective or what I'd be OK with at this point, since they could do it far in the future, like sometime in the next xpac after BFA. Like Half elves.

They just don't think high elves right now are interesting enough to make as a allied race with how few of numbers they have left.

Also, it was already told that the event happened in BFA as "Under Alleria's guidance, as well as the tutelage and instruction of her own teacher, Locus-Walker, the void elves made strides in mastering their nature. They claimed Telogrus as their base of operations, and their numbers grew with the addition of blood elves and high elves who have ventured to seek them out, no longer fearing exile for the pursuit of knowledge.

Aspiring void elf adventurers are sent to Stormwind from Telogrus, urged on by Alleria and Umbric; the ren'dorei have established a presence in the city. There they meet Anduin Wrynn, who assures them that while the path they walk may be testing, they will never face the darkness alone, for the Alliance stands with them."

That's just how I see they'd add high elf skins for now then make what they deem a "more interesting race" or something later for something like high elves.
05/06/2018 10:46 PMPosted by Lunaprotege

Because the politics is more important than the body for some people to some extent. The fact they changed their name and betrayed their past by joining Horde is enough to think of Blood Elves as race traitors that need to be separated from the loyalists in any way possible.

Your assessment that "they're physically the same" only analyses it skin deep. The beating heart and soul of both factions have fundamentally different values; the High Elves of the Alliance favouring loyalty and attachment to their past, even if its past grudges... While the Blood Elves favour pragmatism, and are willing to discard their past, and in a weird way, I think in that in taking on their new name "in honour of the dead", they effectively buried their past along with them.

I'd say the eye colour change does lead into a direction that if we jumped into the future and checked back on them, they'd be completely different; and the fact their futures will lead into that is an important distinction on its own... However that's only my own opinion, I get the distinct feeling the rest of this thread disagrees with that assessment.

Someone should tell Ion then, if Blood Elves are High Elves, then they should rewrite all the dialogue to say "Quel'dorei" instead of "Sin'dorei", since the Blood Elves are calling themselves the wrong name.

Or just have the rest of the High Elves and their leaders join the Horde.
05/06/2018 10:53 PMPosted by Avinar
"Under Alleria's guidance, as well as the tutelage and instruction of her own teacher, Locus-Walker, the void elves made strides in mastering their nature. They claimed Telogrus as their base of operations, and their numbers grew with the addition of blood elves and high elves who have ventured to seek them out, no longer fearing exile for the pursuit of knowledge.

Aspiring void elf adventurers are sent to Stormwind from Telogrus, urged on by Alleria and Umbric; the ren'dorei have established a presence in the city. There they meet Anduin Wrynn, who assures them that while the path they walk may be testing, they will never face the darkness alone, for the Alliance stands with them."

It sounds like you're quoting a specific source, and I could have sworn I saw this word for word earlier... Can we get a specific link to what you're quoting with this?

... Or to put it in a way more blunt, like a traumatic hammer:

[CITATION NEEDED]
05/06/2018 10:58 PMPosted by Lunaprotege
05/06/2018 10:53 PMPosted by Avinar
"Under Alleria's guidance, as well as the tutelage and instruction of her own teacher, Locus-Walker, the void elves made strides in mastering their nature. They claimed Telogrus as their base of operations, and their numbers grew with the addition of blood elves and high elves who have ventured to seek them out, no longer fearing exile for the pursuit of knowledge.

It sounds like you're quoting a specific source, and I could have sworn I saw this word for word earlier... Can we get a specific link to what you're quoting with this?

[CITATION NEEDED]

Sure. It's on WoWpedia. https://wow.gamepedia.com/Void_elf

I'm not sure where they got that info though, but I'd imagine with it being on wowpedia, that it would be somewhere in BFA datamines or somewhere in BFA, correct?
05/06/2018 11:03 PMPosted by Avinar

[CITATION NEEDED]

I'm not sure where they got that info though, but I'd imagine with it being on wowpedia, that it would be somewhere in BFA datamines or somewhere in BFA, correct?

It sounds like their interpretation of the High Elf wayfarers/scholars presence in Telogrus Rift.

No, actually. Wowwiki/wowpedia are notorious for inaccurate and outdated information.

It's a summarization of events, and it's being misrepresented here. It's stating that numbers on the rift are growing as pilgrims join seeking knowledge, NOT that Void Elf numbers are growing.

The only Void Elves come from the scenario, where they were being transformed. With the transformation stopped halfway, they were left as void elves. There is no way to repeat this transformation. Locus-Walker is teaching elves, but the process of becoming a Void Elf as they are presented in-game hasn't been recreated.

Alleria herself is not a Void Elf. She's a High Elf with void power, similar to a priest in shadow form. She hasn't been altered like the Void Elves; her power is at will.
If Alliance get High Elves, then Horde should get Ogres. It would be a WC2 comeback. I'd love that.

But yeah, I still don't know how/why High Elves aren't in the game yet.
05/06/2018 11:23 PMPosted by Deadinside
If Alliance get High Elves, then Horde should get Ogres. It would be a WC2 comeback. I'd love that.

Okay honestly? I can't see Ogres in-game purely for the fact that they're too large. Anything larger than a male Tauren isn't possible, because then blizz would have to refit every single doorway in the game.

HOWEVER, I am in love with this idea, and my boyfriend and I were actually discussing it today. A really neat way they could bring ogres to the Horde is through Mok'nathal. With Rexxar's updated model, it really shows that he's half ogre/half orc. It think it would be a decent compromise if ogres themselves aren't possible.

As a side note: Rexxar doesn't seem to have much of a presence on BfA that I've seen. Perhaps his updated model is indication that he might be the allied race leader for Mok'nathal? (乃•̃_•̃)乃✧
It bears reminding to say:

Modern "High Elves" are biologically almost indistinguishable from Blood Elves, and they only exist as a group because they have ideological differences with the rest of their kin.

Is that ideological difference what segregate them from Blood Elves, to the point they exist in opposite, and warring, factions. They don't merely exist as a rebellious subset of Blood Elves, but as one that has been allied for decades with their enemies -In broad strokes, much like Void Elves are now, but with much less backstory-

It is because of these ideological differences that people want High Elves to be playable, it's because of those ideological differences that they exist in the alliance, thus saying "Play a blood elf" negates the reason why people like High Elves and would play one.

Even a Void Elf doesn't have the same "ideological difference", the same "backstory" than a *High Elf* -in the context that is requested, as a long standing member of the alliance. They could have, they could still be incorporated, but they haven't.

So, of the two thalassian elven groups currently playable, the fantasy of a High Elf that has always been loyal to the alliance, thus THE REASON why they are on the alliance, can be found on neither option.

[CITATION NEEDED]

Yeah, there is not a direct source. It really just sounds like the person that wrote it it's leaning a bit to heavily on speculation on something that hasn't been confirmed.

One of the bigger reason is the costs it takes to update the models for all the races. So without that it'll be more difficult to create the variation they need. Reskinning was cheaper, easier, and faster. They got out a new product while, hopefully, also being ready to deliver two unique player races (Sethrak and Vulpera).

Then when they are ready to redo character customization they can take a look at High Elf.

Just a guess. :)
05/06/2018 11:30 PMPosted by Maeveh

Okay honestly? I can't see Ogres in-game purely for the fact that they're too large. Anything larger than a male Tauren isn't possible, because then blizz would have to refit every single doorway in the game.
I'm more partial to ogres because of the strong showing they made in WoD with the Gorian empire. I didn't care for ogres when they were presented as a bunch of dumb guys living in caves. WoD showed they could not only get organized, but were a force that mattered on Draenor. That draenor orcs are in the pipes took me further down that train of thought, because if we're bringing in draenor orcs, why not also draenor ogres?

Since they were patterned after the roman empire, they could use their own version of Augustus Caesar to reclaim the throne and take over, but with help from the Horde. And so the exchange would be the new emperor siding with the Horde to repay his debt to them for helping him ascend.

On the technical side, I agree that size might be a problem. That being said, if size concessions had to be made for the tauren, I wouldn't be opposed to the same concessions being made for ogres.

Returning to the topic at hand, I'd be more than okay with horde getting ogres in exchange for Alliance getting High Elves.