Is DH/DK Okay for a Beginner?

General Discussion
Hey folks,

So, I'm fairly new to WoW, though I have played other RPGs like Rift. I was just wondering if it's okay to play as a Demon Hunter or Death Knight when you're fairly new. My Night Elf Hunter is currently 26, and leveling only seems to be becoming more and more difficult/grindy, as one would expect. I really want to play the DH class though, and I have a 110 Boost with me. So, I was wondering if I should boost one char and then make a DH or something like that.
If you're brand new to WoW, and especially if you're new to MMORPGs, it might be best if you don't rush too quickly to endgame in order to give yourself more time to get acquainted with the game as a whole.

I don't think there's anything wrong with making one of those your first main, just keep in mind there's a lot to learn about this game and rushing to endgame, especially by skipping a large portion of the leveling content, may leave you feeling rather unprepared for what you find on the other side.
If you've never played WoW before, you're going to have a lot of trouble if you boost to max regardless of the class. With that said, between DK and DH, I'd personally recommend DK. DK frost is a fairly straight forward spec to play so you'll be able to get used to playing WoW without losing your mind. Every spec has nuances that matter but DK Frost can do fairly well without getting crazy.

I'd avoid tanking on either class until you're comfortable with the game since both Blood and Vengeance have styles that are a bit left of center.
agreed DK...I have a DH too.....the DK is easier to learn imho
Death Knights are also really fun to play.
Depends... a non demonic demon hunter is pretty easy to manage.

A demonic build one isn't much harder but it does require more resource management as well as positioning to gather orbs.
If you plan on soloing content mostly, Blood DK is not too hard to learn and understand. I love how much survivability they have. But they are a tank and in dungeons, they are generally the leading role.
You have already chosen the correct class.
If you really want DH, do it. Both specs are fun and the intro quests are interesting. I leveled two of them, leveled as havoc ( a decent learning curve, so read up on them) now doing vengeance ( a little "clunky" but fun) for WQs.

DKs, I have leveled two as Blood , experimented with Unholy and dabbled with Frost. Frost is ok, pretty straightforward and quick BUT nowhere near as survival as Blood. All things are possible in Blood, as long as you have time and patience.
Everything is okay for a beginner, tbh. There aren't any hardcore in-depth specs anymore.
-gets Vietnam flashbacks of being stuck in BC dungeons with new players that were death knights-

..................I would recommend a hunter for newbies
05/05/2018 12:13 PMPosted by Amaris
-gets Vietnam flashbacks of being stuck in BC dungeons with new players that were death knights-

he will be ok rolling a dk with their 5 buttons, promise.
05/05/2018 12:15 PMPosted by Draical

I know but still -shudder-

Bad memories

..................I would recommend a hunter for newbies

Lol. I get where you're coming from though. Haha
05/05/2018 12:15 PMPosted by Draical

Thanks for the vote of confidence ^.^
Havoc Demon hunter's entire rotation can be put into a single macro and be successful, DKs are just as straight forward, so yes, both are good for a beginner.

The overly-simply rotations give you the ability to focus more on your surroundings so you can learn everything else about the game rather than staring at your abilities wondering what they do
I have both a DH and (obviously) a DK. They are my two favorite characters, and I don't think you can go wrong with either, however, if you think it will be less "grindy" at 100/110, you'd be wrong.

That being said, I do think that you will miss a LOT of fun if you use the boost and skip the leveling experience altogether. There is a LOT of good story you'll miss, a LOT of really cool zones, and you'll miss out on learning a lot about the game world. Not to say that boosting is bad, especially if you're not new to MMOs in general - just that you may get frustrated at first by jumping to 110 without having done anything before.

If you do boost though, your DH and DK will still take a bit of leveling, since you will have to boost a different toon to unlock both. DH from roughly 100 and DK from 55, so you'll still have some work to do. Both classes start you out with a few skills at a time and give you time to learn them and have really good intro zones/quests. Afterwards, both have very good survivability (with self heals) if you play them right, and after a bit of work.

Be forewarned though, you may find the DH a bit tough until about 105-106. I created/deleted probably half a dozen DHs before just sticking with it and getting to 110. Now my DH is a LOT of fun to play as both tank and DPS, but also now that I have my DK almost as geared, she is by far the one I enjoy DPSing with more.

I've also been given a chance to play the BfA Beta, and with the exception of a single skill that was removed, I don't feel that my DK is any different, so there's another thing to consider.

There is no race to get to 110 and end game content. At 110, it certainly can become repetitious ad nauseum (dailies, world quests, more dailies and more world quests...). Enjoy the journey. Hit 70 with your current favorite character, create a DK and get to 100. Then create your DH and get to 110 with whatever character you enjoy most, or boost your favorite toon now and create whatever you like - it's YOUR game to play as you want. Personally, I still have my 100 boost from upgrading to Legion that I never used...I'm saving it for an alt so I can skip Draenor content altogether (90-100).

You might also want to take advantage of the Class Trial option and play a few of the classes at 100 to get a feel for the higher level content.

Anyway, if you find yourself on Blackhand/Galakrond feel free to look me up.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
05/05/2018 12:53 PMPosted by Nefira
I have both a DH and (obviously) a DK. They are my two favorite characters, and I don't think you can go wrong with either, however, if you think it will be less "grindy" at 100/110, you'd be wrong.

That being said, I do think that you will miss a LOT of fun if you use the boost and skip the leveling experience altogether. There is a LOT of good story you'll miss, a LOT of really cool zones, and you'll miss out on learning a lot about the game world. Not to say that boosting is bad, especially if you're not new to MMOs in general - just that you may get frustrated at first by jumping to 110 without having done anything before.

If you do boost though, your DH and DK will still take a bit of leveling, since you will have to boost a different toon to unlock both. DH from roughly 100 and DK from 55, so you'll still have some work to do. Both classes start you out with a few skills at a time and give you time to learn them and have really good intro zones/quests. Afterwards, both have very good survivability (with self heals) if you play them right, and after a bit of work.

Be forewarned though, you may find the DH a bit tough until about 105-106. I created/deleted probably half a dozen DHs before just sticking with it and getting to 110. Now my DH is a LOT of fun to play as both tank and DPS, but also now that I have my DK almost as geared, she is by far the one I enjoy DPSing with more.

I've also been given a chance to play the BfA Beta, and with the exception of a single skill that was removed, I don't feel that my DK is any different, so there's another thing to consider.

There is no race to get to 110 and end game content. At 110, it certainly can become repetitious ad nauseum (dailies, world quests, more dailies and more world quests...). Enjoy the journey. Hit 70 with your current favorite character, create a DK and get to 100. Then create your DH and get to 110 with whatever character you enjoy most, or boost your favorite toon now and create whatever you like - it's YOUR game to play as you want. Personally, I still have my 100 boost from upgrading to Legion that I never used...I'm saving it for an alt so I can skip Draenor content altogether (90-100).

You might also want to take advantage of the Class Trial option and play a few of the classes at 100 to get a feel for the higher level content.

Anyway, if you find yourself on Blackhand/Galakrond feel free to look me up.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

This was extremely helpful and open-ended. Thank you so much for taking the time to say it all. I will definitely look you up when I make a char in either of those servers. ^.^
I have been playing for close to 3 months now and came from Rift also. The hardest transition for me was macros. Macros in rift are easier and more user friendly but in WoW I feel like I learn my abilities better. Wow offers way more than Rift is ever going too and it's much less button mashing. I would say you will be fine with any character as the learning curve is very easy coming from Rift. Most things are very similar. Good luck and welcome. I was Poshy in Rift.

I leveled the old fashion way and still have my boosts since I felt it would help me learn the game better but it wasn't necessary, once I got to the BC/WotLC areas I stopped questing through areas and did alot of dungeons, which was faster and easier as a healer.

I don't think you can even make a dk until your lvl 55 on another character and dh is even higher. So it may be worth it to level something though first, but don't feel stuck into questing areas and storylines like rift. Tons of stuff offers xp, I would recommend doing different things. You will get plenty of storyline and side quests in the legion areas.