Toxic Community

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 16 Next
05/08/2018 05:01 AMPosted by Holymez
Blame Blizzard for catering to the lowest common denominator.

O I do but the irony of this statement puts a smile on my face.
05/08/2018 03:31 AMPosted by Venetia
There’s this thing called sentence structuring. Also paragraphs help the reader focus.

A wall of text is a pain to read. So in the future when you choose to rant do so in a way that people can read it, without straining their eyes.

Have you ever been to the add X race to the game threads?

They have piles and piles of text and links that i don't think anyone ever fully reads and then i have to end up scrolling way longer then i have to in order to see other opinions.
05/08/2018 03:15 AMPosted by Såmson
A game that has lasted this long

A game that has lasted this long, with the majority of the playerbase, 14 years later, that still doesnt know how to play the game correctly

Then they wonder why the people that do get toxic with them. Why am I outdamaging LFR players 20 ivls higher than my alts 9 out of 10 times? And being 0ne of 5 people still left alive at the end?

Why is it when I join a group for world quests, 4 of the 5 people in the group are flying above me leeching credit?

Why is it when I join a BG, 8 out of 10 people completely ignore the objective, and proceed to get slaughtered as they attempt to repeatedly solo the entire opposing team after their first wipe?

Why is it that after being no twice, the playerbase completely disregards the upcoming unfavorable changes on the way, and opt in to complain about how they cant play a race that we already have had for 12 years instead? Because playing the same race with blue eyes is somehow more important that the entire gameplay of the game changing right?

Removal of things like ML only feed the toxicity towards the playerbase that want ts removal. Wait until the reddit threads of people flipping out when they dont get traded an item they want start to triple.

So, I hate to say it, but the toxicity is warranted. If blizzard added more systems to punish the type of players I just talked about, there wouldnt be a need to be toxic.
Well, I have been leveling some new alts on a new server,( three holy priests, and one MM huntard,( for the professions, and because I am lazy and they are the easiest for me to level, ).

I have pulled all-nighters these last three nights in a row, dungeon diving, and leveling professions/questing.

While healing, I always verbally curse at the other people, but I refrain from putting that into the chat box. They don't need to hear me cuss and stress out. Especially since I am only yelling because healing is stressful, and it is nothing personal against them as human beings. In voice chat, I keep myself push to talk for mostly this reason. lol I cuss a LOT when I am stressed.
I blame aristocrats. All just a bunch of wannabes out there. " I'm king of the world ".

Kinda common place in all things internet. I personally think it is used by blizzard to keep subs. Just give enough to complain about, but not enough to lose subs. Let players be mean to a certain point, but don't let it get out of hand. If they didn't let it go a bit, people would find another place to do so.
i agree with the point - i was just asking myself why people (at least some players) behave in such a way - dont understand it at all
the other week i was in a dungeon with one of my toons - a mage died and the tank just went on as if nothing had happened - the Group leader said: he will not stop he will finish the dungeon and leave - and that is what happened - no word - nothing - how can you explain such a behaviour? i was astonished and i still am
05/08/2018 05:11 AMPosted by Moraylea
i agree with the point - i was just asking myself why people (at least some players) behave in such a way - dont understand it at all
the other week i was in a dungeon with one of my toons - a mage died and the tank just went on as if nothing had happened - the Group leader said: he will not stop he will finish the dungeon and leave - and that is what happened - no word - nothing - how can you explain such a behaviour? i was astonished and i still am

It isnt hard to explain... the content is a joke but blizzard wants to bribe players into it. It would of taken longer to rez the mage then it would of to simply keep going and complete the instance.
My observation is that it's not just this community, got to accept that the internet is still a technology that's only been around for the majority of people for about 20 years...the problems we have with the toxic community here, are but a fraction of the deeper problems with the internet as a whole. These are some of the main problems...

1-It's often too easy to make false allegations about someone without any evidence, and ruin a persons reputation entirely. In the past, it was a situation where if someone made an allegation about someone, the police would like have enough evidence to conduct a full on investigation to the matter, but these days you can just type a generalization about someone. I mean the Metoo movement is all well and good, but in the real world you can't prove much beyond a shadow of a doubt, unless you are actually seeing it for yourself.

I mean if 20 people come forward and say the same thing about a particular individual, provided those people are independent of each other...as in reality, humans are still not much more evolved than a bunch of apes that will gang up on the weakest link etc. The problem is that's fine if are accusing someone of murder, as there still has to be physical evidence of that, but someone can say that you are guilty of sexually harassing someone and whatnot, but its often a he said/she said situation.

Luckily, many people don't know this, but my understanding is that Blizzard keeps ALL communication on their files for approximately 3 months so if a situation of sexual harassment has occurred and you want to make a ticket and report it, go ahead, though most of the time you will be advised to block the person. it was a better reporting system back in Cata when I started I think, it's a little harder to report now.

2-I am concerned that the definition of what is 'toxic' and bad I mean so many words have become so broad to the point where they have lost their meaning...

3-
I blame aristocrats. All just a bunch of wannabes out there. " I'm king of the world ".

Well the reason people think they are the center of the universe is because they are often living solitary lives where they are the center of their own universe.
People just need to treat others with respect.
One time the heals was DPSing and then got caught by some mobs while the tank charged on ahead. Me and another DPS went back and rescued the healer, and then when we caught up, the tank was below 50%. The healer scrambled and got the tank back to 100%. Then the tank raged at the healer about DPSin and paying attention, and the healer raged back about the tank not watching the group's aggro.

So I said "Lol, mom and dad are fighting." and got kicked.

End of story. No moral.
05/08/2018 05:51 AMPosted by Itsuki

Respect must be earned.
05/08/2018 05:57 AMPosted by Primalmatter
05/08/2018 05:51 AMPosted by Itsuki

Respect must be earned.

Who told you that?
05/08/2018 05:59 AMPosted by Elae
05/08/2018 05:57 AMPosted by Primalmatter

Respect must be earned.

Who told you that?

Common sense mostly and not having cognitive dissonance... no one respects everyone it isn't a participation prize.
05/08/2018 06:02 AMPosted by Primalmatter

Who told you that?

Common sense mostly and not having cognitive dissonance... no one respects everyone it isn't a participation prize.

It disappoints me every time I read 'respect must be earned, not given'. Respect may be earned by someone that excels at something sure, that's fair enough, I don't believe in participation prizes or anything BUT...in this particular context, I think when you are meeting someone you don't know, you should start by treating them well, everyone you don't know or haven't met, you treat them well first to begin with as much as you can. See, you might find people that represent ideals in life that you wish to strive for yourself, and wish to honor and that's what earning respect from a stranger should be all about.

The point though I'm making is that if someone needs to 'earn' your respect, then you do not actually respect the person, you are only respecting the achievement, talent or attributes. Which is very shallow. Respecting someone's achievements is another thing entirely, the starting point of how we treat others shouldn't be a baseline of 'no respect'.

Just be nice to people you don't know, and if they act bad, then you can block them or whatever.
^

Winner.
05/08/2018 06:08 AMPosted by Elae
I think when you are meeting someone you don't know, you should start by treating them well, everyone you don't know or haven't met, you treat them well first to begin with as much as you can. See, you might find people that represent ideals in life that you wish to strive for yourself, and wish to honor and that's what earning respect from a stranger should be all about.

Right, and there's two steps there.

Meeting someone in a common grounds, common sense atmosphere.

If there's a connection, discerning whether or not they represent ideals that will resonate and generate respect for the individual.

Respect is earned. Courtesy is given. Respect is also relative.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Respect must be earned.

Who told you that?

The real world where adults reside.
05/08/2018 06:08 AMPosted by Elae
05/08/2018 06:02 AMPosted by Primalmatter

It disappoints me every time I read 'respect must be earned, not given'. Respect may be earned by someone that excels at something sure, that's fair enough, I don't believe in participation prizes or anything BUT...in this particular context, I think when you are meeting someone you don't know, you should start by treating them well, everyone you don't know or haven't met, you treat them well first to begin with as much as you can. See, you might find people that represent ideals in life that you wish to strive for yourself, and wish to honor and that's what earning respect from a stranger should be all about.

The point though I'm making is that if someone needs to 'earn' your respect, then you do not actually respect the person, you are only respecting the achievement, talent or attributes. Which is very shallow. Respecting someone's achievements is another thing entirely, the starting point of how we treat others shouldn't be a baseline of 'no respect'.

Just be nice to people you don't know, and if they act bad, then you can block them or whatever.

In what world is achievements,talents,and ability shallow?

See this is that whole cognitive dissonance kicking up..
Welcome to the post "Alternative Facts" world where people think their personal beliefs and opinions Trump any evidence to the contrary, where actual facts are conspiracies to hide the "Truth", and topics are no longer debated in a calm and reasoned manor.

It seems like few people are willing to listen to and learn from the perspective of anyone else. Most people don't seem to have discussions any more, they just seem to shout their opinions at each other and ignore anything that causes dissonance in their echo chamber.

As for "Respect must be earned"... we have to start with a basic level of respect, be willing to find a middle ground, and keep an open mind. Without that the only way for anyone to earn respect is to agree with someone unconditionally, and forcing people to agree unconditionally to earn respect is totally disrespectful.
In my experience, the community has a mixture of good and bad people. Example: my first time using LFR for the Tomb Sargeras and Antorus, we wiped. Several times, one of which was completely my fault. I had some in the group who were ragging and complaining, and I had some who were understanding that it was the first time for a lot of us. It's both in this group, which is to be expected.