Artifact Skin Transmog in BfA

General Discussion
So I recently learned that you can’t transmog an artifact skin form say, Holy, on to a Weapon you are using as a Retribution Paladin.

That is to say, you cannot Transmog an artifact appearance from one spec to another spec.

Now I understand the restriction to class. That makes enough sense.

But why, Blizzard? Is there a good reason why a Frost Mage can’t use Aluneth’s appearance? Why a Elemental Shaman can’t hold Doomhammer? Our characters have gathered the artifacts, many of us have put in time to obtain even more appearances for those weapons, and now if we pick a spec(or in some cases, a spec is the only viable one and borderline required for a progression raider) we cannot access those skins.

What if we get a weapon that our appearances can’t be mogged to? Is a Shadow Priest just supposed to accept that the skins they earned for Light’s Wrath aren’t available for this green staff they got as a quest reward?

Adherence to lore or any type of consistency regarding these weapons was thrown out when I saw dozens of Paladins all wielding Ashbringer. Is it really somehow worse that a Holy Paladin wields it now?

I just don’t understand why this arbitrary restriction has been added to these skins, especially after many of us have put in time and effort to unlock the rarer ones.

So Blizzard, I’m calling for these to remain class locked but be opened up to be used freely within that class, so that no matter what weapon a character happens to be wielding, the effort they put into unlocking an appearance they rightly could have assumed to be using later on isn’t wasted because of an arbitrary restriction!
Heard rumors about this. I would like some information on it as well to confirm things.
Blizzard wants to attempt to maintain some sort of "class fantasy" and are stubbornly keeping restrictions that just don't logically make sense.
05/04/2018 05:35 AMPosted by Huatar
Blizzard wants to attempt to maintain some sort of "class fantasy" and are stubbornly keeping restrictions that just don't logically make sense.

If “class fantasy” is their reasoning, they have no leg to stand on if they’re stopping a Ret Paladin from wielding a hammer that ACTUALLY comes with a libram!
They are radio silent on this one. I don’t think many people realize how all the hard work they put into unlocking artifact appearances is about to be for nothing.
I won't be able to use Ashbringer on my Protadin so you don't get your fancy flame sword over your staff mage. Deal with it. (trolling a bit ;P )
I’m still not over hating the fact that beast mastery was given a gun. The only skin I like is the mage tower one for it but I just want to be able to have a dang quiver without playing marksman, it’s purely cosmetic; please blizzard...

Also the fact that all of the marksman skins/tints perfectly match our tier sets this expansion whereas the closest thing BM got to matching the green set from nighthold was a bright yellow laser sight...
05/04/2018 05:37 AMPosted by Pitsword
They are radio silent on this one. I don’t think many people realize how all the hard work they put into unlocking artifact appearances is about to be for nothing.

This right here.
05/04/2018 05:37 AMPosted by Pitsword

I really feel for anyone who put in the work for the PvP skins, if they go through with this. One of my friends went for the Havoc’s appearance, and wanted all the colors so when she could have them when she maimed Vengeance in the next expansion.

She is rightly pissed about this.
I really hope this gets reevaluted.
I am curious if all the unlocked skins are going to be character locked or class locked.

I have a few mage towers done and the Keystone Master on at least one toon, and I believe I should be able to have those benefits for any toon of that class after BFA releases.

I will be very upset if I am unable to access the druid forms I unlocked in the mage tower on alt druids. Bad enough I have heard rumors that I will have to have fist weapons equipped for guardian forms and daggers for feral forms.
05/04/2018 05:53 AMPosted by Troggles
I am curious if all the unlocked skins are going to be character locked or class locked.

I have a few mage towers done and the Keystone Master on at least one toon, and I believe I should be able to have those benefits for any toon of that class after BFA releases.

I will be very upset if I am unable to access the druid forms I unlocked in the mage tower on alt druids. Bad enough I have heard rumors that I will have to have fist weapons equipped for guardian forms and daggers for feral forms.

This is another question we should have a clear answer on.

Also the forms being locked to weapon type is a huge problem! I can’t tell you how many times my Druid has rocked a staff or a hammer, but I can tell you she’s never had a fist weapon.
We need to keep posting our feedback for artifact transmogs for the devs to see. From my understanding, they don't respond to all the forum posts, but they do get the feedback.

I believe each spec of a class should be able to use all of the other spec's artifact appearances, simply because weapon drops will dictate if you even can transmog that spec's artifact.

Man, really enjoying that class fantasy when I won't even be able to use the artifact appearances I grinded all expansion, simply because there's not going to be a single 2-Handed Intellect weapon in BFA. I'm pretty bummed and sad I wasted my time getting all of them to learn I won't even be able to use them.
07/02/2018 04:26 PMPosted by Allurinn

Man, really enjoying that class fantasy when I won't even be able to use the artifact appearances I grinded all expansion, simply because there's not going to be a single 2-Handed Intellect weapon in BFA. I'm pretty bummed and sad I wasted my time getting all of them to learn I won't even be able to use them.
You can transmog your artifact over any weapon now.
07/02/2018 04:26 PMPosted by Allurinn

You'll be able to mog over any weapon the class artifact. Main problem is that it will still be locked on one spec and one spec only.
I'm just disappointed in the spec lock. I love the MM bow, but I am never gonna go MM. :/