WW talent combos in BfA

Monk
Been playing the BfA beta for a couple weeks now as WW. (my current main) While I have some issues with how the spec feels right now, mainly survivability, overall I like how the spec is playing out currently. The biggest thing I’m struggling with right now is finding which talent combos I like best. Right now I usually run either Ascention and Power Strikes or Strike of the White Tiger and Whirling Dragon punch. I think Ascention and PS gives a much smoother rotation but heavily simplify it as you’re removing 2 buttons. Opinions? :)
WDP or Serenity are the go to. Serenity currently is not yet implemented properly, lacking cd reduction. PS is a rather poor talent that's only semi competitive at near 0 haste levels with no additional targets or proc waste.

Fotwt is better than EE. Maximum output of both buts EE about 1.5 chi or so ahead of FotWT per minute, but realistically EE is about .5 chi ahead coupled with the fact that getting optimal output from EE is absurdly hard and will inevitably lead to cast delays and FotWT comes out ahead. Additionally the opener without either FotWT or Power Strikes is rather clunky. EE is decently strong on multi target. Since AoE is effectively just a cycle of TP>SCK energy is significantly more valuable than chi. 100 energy is two free SCK casts and the 2 chi can be put into 2 tags. FotWT gets you 3 chi. Effectively 2 will be used for SCK and 1 will be a tag. Given the fact that aoe tends to be more concentrated, EE would be the default.
Ascension is horrible even in its best case.

RJW is rather strong. Better than SCK until up to about 11 targets or so with 11 stacks. Definitely takes getting used to however. Xuen is solid and it vs hit combo will depend on final tuning.

Chi burst is a must on both Single Target and AOE. Everything else is just straight up sub par.
I prefer FotWT > Whirling dragon.

It allows for two more abilities to be added in rotationally. And can add to a ToD > FotWT > RSK > FOF > Whirling Dragon combo for your opener which is super nice.

Power Strikes, while giving some extra chi, really doesn’t contribute to the damage all too well. For example, WDP does more damage than the increased TP, and can hit multiple targets. I’m not in the client right now, but I think that +200% TP+BoK is still less damage than Whirling Dragon.

And I’m okay with that. I don’t like rotations where passive options are stronger than active ones, because then you get Legion Frost Mage.

They just need to make FotWT a 1sec GCD instead of a 1.5sec GCD.
Fist of the white tiger doesn't apply mark of the crane, which bothers me. I feel like it should, since it's basically a TP.

I don't know what everyone else's experience with power strikes has been, but it seems bugged to me. It's supposed to proc every 15 seconds, but occasionally I will have it come back up immediately after using it.

Chi burst having a range if 40 is kind of annoying, and it seems it actually goes through walls too. I had this happen in a dungeon I did. Won't be as bad as you get to know the dungeons and know where to position, but it is something you have to think about.

I'm kind of hoping serenity doesn't come out ahead, because I don't like serenity, but it probably will.
05/07/2018 05:13 AMPosted by Fiascoh
Fist of the white tiger doesn't apply mark of the crane, which bothers me. I feel like it should, since it's basically a TP.

I don't know what everyone else's experience with power strikes has been, but it seems bugged to me. It's supposed to proc every 15 seconds, but occasionally I will have it come back up immediately after using it.

Chi burst having a range if 40 is kind of annoying, and it seems it actually goes through walls too. I had this happen in a dungeon I did. Won't be as bad as you get to know the dungeons and know where to position, but it is something you have to think about.

I'm kind of hoping serenity doesn't come out ahead, because I don't like serenity, but it probably will.

Power Strikes’ 15 second CD starts when the buff is applied, not consumed. So if you get the buff at 0 seconds, and consume it 5 seconds later, you’ll get the PS buff 10 seconds later. This is how it functions in live too. It’s to guarantee that you’ll get your 4 chi/minute.
I see

Chi burst going through walls happens on live as well, I've had it clip through the wall on Black Rook hold and pull some of the wyrmtongue demons with them just leaping through the wall. I wonder how close two parts of an area of a dungeon have to be for it to clip through though (the area where it clipped through was the wall straight ahead of the top entrance of the spider stairwell area).

On the subject of the talents I'll will probably just use mostly what I have now I guess (Chi Burst - Diffuse Magic- EE - Tiger Tail Sweep - Dampen Harm - Hit Combo - Serenity). Chi burst because free chi every 30 sec will be nice, Diffuse magic because with the loss of the large amount of self healing we had in legion more defensives will be better. Energizing Elixir because I'm to used to having it at this point, Tiger Tail Sweep because I want a lower CD on my leg sweep. Dampen Harm most since they removed healing elixir and basically because of the same reason as diffuse magic, hit combo because I think ww monks will have good enough aoe that RJW will not be needed and I am unsure on Xuen, and Serenity because I like it over SEF.

Since I will be using Serenity I am unsure if I really want to use EE as FotWT does generate chi along with extra chi generated via chi burst (not to mention it would be added damage as well).
05/07/2018 02:50 PMPosted by Ék

Chi burst going through walls happens on live as well, I've had it clip through the wall on Black Rook hold and pull some of the wyrmtongue demons with them just leaping through the wall. I wonder how close two parts of an area of a dungeon have to be for it to clip through though (the area where it clipped through was the wall straight ahead of the top entrance of the spider stairwell area).

On the subject of the talents I'll will probably just use mostly what I have now I guess (Chi Burst - Diffuse Magic- EE - Tiger Tail Sweep - Dampen Harm - Hit Combo - Serenity). Chi burst because free chi every 30 sec will be nice, Diffuse magic because with the loss of the large amount of self healing we had in legion more defensives will be better. Energizing Elixir because I'm to used to having it at this point, Tiger Tail Sweep because I want a lower CD on my leg sweep. Dampen Harm most since they removed healing elixir and basically because of the same reason as diffuse magic, hit combo because I think ww monks will have good enough aoe that RJW will not be needed and I am unsure on Xuen, and Serenity because I like it over SEF.

Since I will be using Serenity I am unsure if I really want to use EE as FotWT does generate chi along with extra chi generated via chi burst (not to mention it would be added damage as well).

We’ll have to see where tuning falls between Hit Combo and Xuen. Currently Xuen is doing more than 6% of your damage, even in single target, so Hit Combo may fall to the wayside.

Tbh, I don’t really like of the talents on that row. You don’t have to do anything to get damage from Xuen. It would be cool if every Chi you spent with him out did a pulse of AoE damage or something. Give him some more interaction than just a fire and forget. Hit Combo is a lower stakes just do what you normally do from a Legion. RJW does AoE and drains energy slowly, but unless you actively micromanage turning it off and on repeatedly, it may just become passive AoE during trash.
05/07/2018 06:44 PMPosted by Atrael
05/07/2018 02:50 PMPosted by Ék

We’ll have to see where tuning falls between Hit Combo and Xuen. Currently Xuen is doing more than 6% of your damage, even in single target, so Hit Combo may fall to the wayside.

Tbh, I don’t really like of the talents on that row. You don’t have to do anything to get damage from Xuen. It would be cool if every Chi you spent with him out did a pulse of AoE damage or something. Give him some more interaction than just a fire and forget. Hit Combo is a lower stakes just do what you normally do from a Legion. RJW does AoE and drains energy slowly, but unless you actively micromanage turning it off and on repeatedly, it may just become passive AoE during trash.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/257816333

You don't really need to manage RJW all too much but you do have to be very cautious how you play off toggle RJW before you want to use it to AoE and if you are ever using it in st. It's got a resource learning curve that takes some adjustment since you are learning a different playstyle for each toggle mode.

I'm concerned a bit for Xuen to be honest. Not sure if it's been fixed (haven't logged on beta in a few days) but he gets a reduced amount of secondary stats from us , which hurts him even more because of stat distribution since haste is not often stacked and mastery is. When they moved most of his damage from attacks to tiger lightning it removed a bit of reliance on player inherited haste since CTL is haste locked, so that fixes one issue and one potential issue. The only problem left is mastery is a dead stat for Xuen.
05/06/2018 03:23 AMPosted by Oneoneone
WDP or Serenity are the go to. Serenity currently is not yet implemented properly, lacking cd reduction. PS is a rather poor talent that's only semi competitive at near 0 haste levels with no additional targets or proc waste.

Fotwt is better than EE. Maximum output of both buts EE about 1.5 chi or so ahead of FotWT per minute, but realistically EE is about .5 chi ahead coupled with the fact that getting optimal output from EE is absurdly hard and will inevitably lead to cast delays and FotWT comes out ahead. Additionally the opener without either FotWT or Power Strikes is rather clunky. EE is decently strong on multi target. Since AoE is effectively just a cycle of TP>SCK energy is significantly more valuable than chi. 100 energy is two free SCK casts and the 2 chi can be put into 2 tags. FotWT gets you 3 chi. Effectively 2 will be used for SCK and 1 will be a tag. Given the fact that aoe tends to be more concentrated, EE would be the default.

RJW is rather strong. Better than SCK until up to about 11 targets or so with 11 stacks. Definitely takes getting used to however. Xuen is solid and it vs hit combo will depend on final tuning.

Chi burst is a must on both Single Target and AOE. Everything else is just straight up sub par.

Sure, in a talent:talent comparison but they are never the whole picture.

It's also a bit misleading to say "near zero haste levels" because even at 10% haste I believe its still better slightly and what reason do you have to be stacking haste on live or BFA.

When you start comparing them by # of targets hit there are a few differences. While most times WDP will come out ahead because an ability that hits more than one target is more likely to be more versatile across difference content types - WDP as a talent isn't that great. Power strikes is still going to be used along with SEF and that means you are getting resources that will be spent inside one of the strongest aoe cds in the game.

Statements like "this will never be used" don't really apply to windwalker too often.
05/08/2018 06:06 AMPosted by Talbyy
05/06/2018 03:23 AMPosted by Oneoneone

It's also a bit misleading to say "near zero haste levels" because even at 10% haste I believe its still better slightly and what reason do you have to be stacking haste on live or BFA.

When you start comparing them by # of targets hit there are a few differences. While most times WDP will come out ahead because an ability that hits more than one target is more likely to be more versatile across difference content types - WDP as a talent isn't that great. Power strikes is still going to be used along with SEF and that means you are getting resources that will be spent inside one of the strongest aoe cds in the game.

Statements like "this will never be used" don't really apply to windwalker too often.

The issue is you do not need chi in AoE unless you are running WDP. PS is also rather piss poor for short term chi generation. In a best case you could get 2 additional chi in a SEF. The most likely usage of that 2 chi is tags. BfA AoE is not chi gated in the slightest, it is a 50 energy repeating cycle unless you FSK. Let's assume you get the best case scenario and get the extra 2 chi into an additional SCK cast. All you need is 25+ targets for the 2 chi SCK to be better than the effectively 2 chi rsk. The only time its even close to equal is if FoF is theoretically a chi loss, which it almost never will be because again chi is practically irrelevant for SCK and MotC is gutted compared to live.

PS also loses out single target exceptionally quickly. The damage contributions of both at 0 haste skew slightly towards WDP with the cd reduction of the additional bok being undetermined. At higher haste values the damage skew even more heavily towards WDP with the cd reduction dropping in value.
PS also loses out single target exceptionally quickly. The damage contributions of both at 0 haste skew slightly towards WDP with the cd reduction of the additional bok being undetermined. At higher haste values the damage skew even more heavily towards WDP with the cd reduction dropping in value.

I am not quite sure I understand your point here?

TP is probably going to be the 2nd or 3rd most utilized ability other than BOK. with PS is parented increase every 15s depending on where you are in the rotation. While WDP still has its own CD which can be depending on if FoF and RSK is down thus simulating it down to timing. Unless you are taking FotWT than I have a hard time seeing why WDP will be higher than PS as Ascension will make taking that talent much more viable because haste will play such a larger role in energy regeneration. Because of that more TP into BOK to reduce CD of other spells can smooth out the rotation a bit more without the need fo any extra abilities.
05/08/2018 05:16 PMPosted by Berusein

I am not quite sure I understand your point here?

TP is probably going to be the 2nd or 3rd most utilized ability other than BOK. with PS is parented increase every 15s depending on where you are in the rotation. While WDP still has its own CD which can be depending on if FoF and RSK is down thus simulating it down to timing. Unless you are taking FotWT than I have a hard time seeing why WDP will be higher than PS as Ascension will make taking that talent much more viable because haste will play such a larger role in energy regeneration. Because of that more TP into BOK to reduce CD of other spells can smooth out the rotation a bit more without the need fo any extra abilities.

For one, ascension is useless. Even in its best case it would be worse than EE and FotWT

It is legitimately simple math to show how WDP is better damage contribution at 0 haste

lets assume 195 seconds because it makes the math simple

in 195 seconds you can cast WDP 8 times. 3 of these casts are in SEF for an effective total of 9.5 casts.

My WDP with my arbitrary gear does 1314 damage. 9.5*1314=12483

Over 195 seconds powerstrikes has procced once every 15 seconds for a total of 13 procs. 13 procs equals 2600% TP so we get 26 tiger palms in damage. On beta my characters tigerpalm in arbitrary gear hits for 180. 26*180 = 4680

13 procs assuming no chi waste is effectively equal to 11 blackout kicks and 1 rsk. My blackout kick does 483 damage with the same arbitrary gear. My rsk does 1301. 11*483+1301 = 6614

6614+4680=11294

So if we look at pure damage values at 0% haste of WDP our total is 12843. Looking at damage values of Power Strikes+the extra rsk cast is 11294. We can try and add the value of the cd reduction of fists of fury, but you quickly run into the problem of the cd reduction disappearing as you are in fact resource gated.

Haste skews the difference more heavily towards WDP as its CD benefits from haste. Power strikes benefits somewhat as resources are more valuable with higher haste, but in the same vein the blackout kick CD reduction devalues haste while using SEF.
05/08/2018 04:54 PMPosted by Oneoneone
05/08/2018 06:06 AMPosted by Talbyy

The issue is you do not need chi in AoE unless you are running WDP. PS is also rather piss poor for short term chi generation. In a best case you could get 2 additional chi in a SEF. The most likely usage of that 2 chi is tags. BfA AoE is not chi gated in the slightest, it is a 50 energy repeating cycle unless you FSK. Let's assume you get the best case scenario and get the extra 2 chi into an additional SCK cast. All you need is 25+ targets for the 2 chi SCK to be better than the effectively 2 chi rsk. The only time its even close to equal is if FoF is theoretically a chi loss, which it almost never will be because again chi is practically irrelevant for SCK and MotC is gutted compared to live.

25 stacks.....?

At 4 targets 4 stacks SCK would be better than RSK. WDP is always good at any number but the more important ability is FoF, which doesn't get dropped till like... 8 or 9 targets in bfa off the top of my head. That's when you would skip everything and move into tagging unless the enemies were short lived and quickly dying. I have no idea where 25 stacks comes from. Just going off wowhead tooltips would put it even at 2/2 (but I'm pretty sure in game % are different than what wowhead is showing. All abilities are stronger). In AoE where SCK is overly prevalent is when PS will gain value on AoE. Not random dungeon cleave of 3 - 5 targets.

Unless Sunrise technique goes live in a way that resembles how it currently functions and gives rsk as an ability AoE/cleave potential, not much is going to change from how you SCK in legion.
Also, Fist of the White Tiger has been fixed to be a 1sec GCD instead of a 1.5 sec GCD. I will probably be using this talent more often than not.
05/09/2018 01:21 PMPosted by Atrael
Also, Fist of the White Tiger has been fixed to be a 1sec GCD instead of a 1.5 sec GCD. I will probably be using this talent more often than not.

I just wish it did a little more damage. It fits extremely well in the rotation.

I'll log on later and look at all these bugs I'm hearing about and then take a second look at the #'s of abilities and compare them to the wowhead values
05/09/2018 06:26 AMPosted by Talbyy
<span class="truncated">...</span>

25 stacks.....?

At 4 targets 4 stacks SCK would be better than RSK. WDP is always good at any number but the more important ability is FoF, which doesn't get dropped till like... 8 or 9 targets in bfa off the top of my head. That's when you would skip everything and move into tagging unless the enemies were short lived and quickly dying. I have no idea where 25 stacks comes from. Just going off wowhead tooltips would put it even at 2/2 (but I'm pretty sure in game % are different than what wowhead is showing. All abilities are stronger). In AoE where SCK is overly prevalent is when PS will gain value on AoE. Not random dungeon cleave of 3 - 5 targets.

Unless Sunrise technique goes live in a way that resembles how it currently functions and gives rsk as an ability AoE/cleave potential, not much is going to change from how you SCK in legion.

PS has no value on aoe outside of tags. You do not need chi from power strikes for anything. The only way you could actually gain value is if you sit a proc so you can double proc it in SEF and use the extra 2 chi for SCK but then you aren't tagging with tigerpalm which sort of ruins the point. It is legit at best +1 SCK in a SEF and only relevant at stupid high target counts.

The difference between 2 chi and 3 chi is with 3 chi you get an extra tag. FoF is replaced at ~14 stacks. If we assume FoF is on CD RSK would be replaced at 18, 25 was a miscalc.

Any legitimate dungeon or raid boss encounter you will not be experiencing target counts at a high enough level for any relevant length of time enough for PS to be relevant whatsoever.

PS has no value on aoe outside of tags. You do not need chi from power strikes for anything. The only way you could actually gain value is if you sit a proc so you can double proc it in SEF and use the extra 2 chi for SCK but then you aren't tagging with tigerpalm which sort of ruins the point. It is legit at best +1 SCK in a SEF and only relevant at stupid high target counts.

The difference between 2 chi and 3 chi is with 3 chi you get an extra tag. FoF is replaced at ~14 stacks. If we assume FoF is on CD RSK would be replaced at 18, 25 was a miscalc.

Any legitimate dungeon or raid boss encounter you will not be experiencing target counts at a high enough level for any relevant length of time enough for PS to be relevant whatsoever.

Well, something doesn't seem right because right now the BFA aura has 140% damage bonus to SCK but Mondays build also nerfed SCK by 40%. I'm not sure if you've also noticed but during raid testing RSK damage was significantly higher (and scaling different) than what it's currently doing , again. I doubt this discussion is going to matter because it seems SCK is going to bully it's way into the 'cleave - filler' spot and windwalker AoE is going to get gutted. At 56% AP per target (scaling from there) it's not going to beat anything and will just be a cleave/aoe resource dump.

I was not using the 1 chi for a tag on PS since tags themselves are worth very little. With having 1 chi leftover I was able to cast Chi Burst and SCK as soon as I got the first target which is normally the one standing on top of you and then generate (usually max) chi from there usually by spending it on FoF. Most of this I tested on the same couple of pulls though so there is little variance or thing's to go wrong.

I have no idea what will be legitimate and what wont be, I know Zul adds spawn every 50 seconds and that's about it. Not intending to look too deeply into BFA and ruin the expansion for myself early. I'm just planning on doing SimC/APL, bug reports, and then waiting for launch.
05/09/2018 05:48 PMPosted by Talbyy

Well, something doesn't seem right because right now the BFA aura has 140% damage bonus to SCK but Mondays build also nerfed SCK by 40%. I'm not sure if you've also noticed but during raid testing RSK damage was significantly higher (and scaling different) than what it's currently doing , again. I doubt this discussion is going to matter because it seems SCK is going to bully it's way into the 'cleave - filler' spot and windwalker AoE is going to get gutted. At 56% AP per target (scaling from there) it's not going to beat anything and will just be a cleave/aoe resource dump.

I was not using the 1 chi for a tag on PS since tags themselves are worth very little. With having 1 chi leftover I was able to cast Chi Burst and SCK as soon as I got the first target which is normally the one standing on top of you and then generate (usually max) chi from there usually by spending it on FoF. Most of this I tested on the same couple of pulls though so there is little variance or thing's to go wrong.

I have no idea what will be legitimate and what wont be, I know Zul adds spawn every 50 seconds and that's about it. Not intending to look too deeply into BFA and ruin the expansion for myself early. I'm just planning on doing SimC/APL, bug reports, and then waiting for launch.

I'm going off in client values that were definitely not changed Monday.

Hastle will also definitely have a place in BfA for serenity builds. At 0% you have to do wonky stuff like double bok
05/09/2018 05:48 PMPosted by Talbyy

I'm going off in client values that were definitely not changed Monday.

Hastle will also definitely have a place in BfA for serenity builds. At 0% you have to do wonky stuff like double bok

It should still reflect it but I'll be on this weekend to triple check everything and write a bug report anyway for a lot of things.