Flying Restrictions are out of Hand

General Discussion
1 2 3 7 Next
The requirement for the ability to fly used to be a gold exchange, and now we (being casual players) are spending months fulfilling an over the top achievement to "earn" flying. At least in WOTLK, along with being a reasonable barrier of entry, it was more like you were purchasing a license; now there is no rhyme or reason behind the requirement except, "We don't like flying, but we do like your money, so if you want it, you have to grind months to get it".

"Players are just logging in to do their raids and logging out, and we want them to experience the whole game". Blizzard, we are the customers. Some of us only have time to login and raid without our wives biting off our heads in between work and all of life's other responsibilities. Flying mounts are part of the story line; they're in your movie, your cut scenes and your images. You are making it feel like flying is some third party experience rather than a viable method of transport.

At least lower the reputation requirement to "Friendly", or something to save "the rest of us" who can't login every day for months of labor-intensive grinding. Gear should be a grind, transportation should not be. Thank you for listening to your players.
I bet blizzard is now really regretting adding in flying back during the burning crusade.
Pathfinder isn't bad. It's just the wait for the thing to be enabled that sucks.

05/05/2018 07:14 AMPosted by Lovefool
I bet blizzard is now really regretting adding in flying back during the burning crusade.

They already said they regret it, actually. They think it lowers the quality of the game overall.
I mean.. the grind is a little wild but it's not horrible. Plus, they have been designing the new areas with flight restrictions to be very accessible via ground or flight path travel.
No, toy restrictions are out of hand.

Flying/pathfinder is fine as is.
I like how you people mass quit over something like flying but insane class prunes? Pfft who cares right?
05/05/2018 07:19 AMPosted by Finhelyn
I like how you people mass quit over something like flying but insane class prunes? Pfft who cares right?

It's all about what is important to you. I don't like all the changes either, but I don't have time to worry about them. I want to login and raid once a week or so and maybe farm for a few hours. That is why it seems ridiculous to me to have to grind so hard for transportation.

This so much. I want back master's call on my hunter, blazing speed on my mage, transformation on my demo lock. All these among many other things across other classes. I'm fine with flying how it is. Stop the prune.
05/05/2018 07:15 AMPosted by Espure
Pathfinder isn't bad. It's just the wait for the thing to be enabled that sucks.

05/05/2018 07:14 AMPosted by Lovefool

They already said they regret it, actually. They think it lowers the quality of the game overall.

That’s what they say but I bet the real reason has to do with time and resources they have to put in every expansion now. If the game was without flight they could continue to do what they did before where things were only partially done. Much of the world use to be kind of like textured one sided walls. With flight the game costs more to make..
05/05/2018 07:15 AMPosted by Espure

It was fun and innovative for the time, but the problem is people have gotten overly needy with it. They have allowed themselves to fall into the trap of they don't want to keep it going anymore but people will pitch a hissy fit if they remove it. As far I am concerned people can take a pathfinder type system for it or get nothing.

I was playing when most max level players were running around on 60% speed mounts. I dealt without flying then and I'd be able to deal without it now. Though an increase in ground mount speed would probably be appreciated.
I just can't even fight Blizz anymore. I give in to it...happier that way.
I mean you mention wotlk cold weather flight, but wotlk was designed with flying in mind, as in you couldn't physically get to areas without flight, areas in storm peaks, ice crown, and naxx, required flight, so making it a small purchase made logical sense.

With Wod, and legion, and now BFA, flight was Not required for anything. Thus it's simply a QoL item, not needed early on.
05/05/2018 07:11 AMPosted by Amberlager
and now we (being casual players) are spending months fulfilling an over the top achievement to "earn" flying.

The requirements for flight can be earned just by a casual playthrough of the content, there is nothing burdensome or grinding about the achievement.
I think they'd have to set the flying cost at 200,000 gold+ to accurately reflect the relative cost of what buying flying used to be... and then Blizz would be accused (rightly) of pushing WoW Token sales with that move.

I mean, the vast majority of players in ye olden days of purchasing flying for gold had to actually play the game quite a lot to earn that much gold at the time. Maybe you didn't get revered rep with particular factions, but you'd certainly quested a fair bit or did whatever you had to do to earn 4000 gold or whatever it was.

These days the game flings so much gold at you for doing absolutely nothing that it wouldn't feel like the reward it should be.
05/05/2018 07:41 AMPosted by Dliver
I think they'd have to set the flying cost at 200,000 gold+ to accurately reflect the relative cost of what buying flying used to be... and then Blizz would be accused (rightly) of pushing WoW Token sales with that move.

I mean, the vast majority of players in ye olden days of purchasing flying for gold had to actually play the game quite a lot to earn that much gold at the time. Maybe you didn't get revered rep with particular factions, but you'd certainly quested a fair bit or did whatever you had to do to earn 4000 gold or whatever it was.

These days the game flings so much gold at you for doing absolutely nothing that it wouldn't feel like the reward it should be.

No kidding. 1000 gold for epic ground mounts in vanilla was crazy as is and then when epic flying came out in burning crusade it was absolutely insane. I want to say like 90%-95% of the people I saw in burning crusade were slow boating around with just regular flying.
05/05/2018 07:45 AMPosted by Lovefool
05/05/2018 07:41 AMPosted by Dliver

No kidding. 1000 gold for epic ground mounts in vanilla was crazy as is and then when epic flying came out in burning crusade it was absolutely insane. I want to say like 90%-95% of the people I saw in burning crusade were slow boating around with just regular flying.

Oh, I was just talking about the scale of inflation since Cata. I've got the barest inkling of what trying to make gold was like in TBC, let alone Vanilla and I don't even know, 1 million gold? 2 million? I'm not sure what would be comparable.
...we (being casual players) are spending months fulfilling an over the top achievement...

As a casual player myself, I did WoD Pathfinder in less than a month and I did Legion Pathfinder in less than a month. I'm sure "serious" players were able to bust it out much faster. Either way, you aren't prioritizing well on your time/effort if it's taking you months. The fact that you believe it takes "months" suggests that you've looked at the list of requirements and assumed it will take forever. Give it a shot and you'll see differently.

I stuck to one toon. Every time I logged on, I concentrated on just the required achievements and ignored all else. Even with that said, I pretty much ended up playing through the meat of both expansions relatively painlessly.
It's possible to have multiple reasons to quit. Lack of flight, poor class balance, and worst impacts of the pruning are all reasons I usually don't play much or at all for the first couple patches of an expansion. It sounds like all three will be problems again in BfA, so I'm getting ready for another 6 month hiatus from the game.

I don't blame them for initially bad class balance, mind you. That's inevitable after major class changes. The other two are blizzard shooting themselves in the foot.

Finally, OP posted this before, methinks: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20763926220?page=1
05/05/2018 07:51 AMPosted by Brænnuð
I stuck to one toon. Every time I logged on, I concentrated on just the required achievements and ignored all else. Even with that said, I pretty much ended up playing through the meat of both expansions relatively painlessly.
It took anyone who was playing the game months because they released it piecemeal over months. Also, grinding those reputations was tedious, took me months, and ultimately did great harm for my love of the game.
05/05/2018 07:52 AMPosted by Balewind
It's possible to have multiple reasons to quit. Lack of flight, poor class balance, and worst impacts of the pruning are all reasons I usually don't play much or at all for the first couple patches of an expansion. It sounds like all three will be problems again in BfA, so I'm getting ready for another 6 month hiatus from the game.

I don't blame them for initially bad class balance, mind you. That's inevitable after major class changes. The other two are blizzard shooting themselves in the foot.

Finally, OP posted this before, methinks: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20763926220?page=1

That's funny, Pitchblak was just in another thread replying to people from 2 1/2 years ago. Seemed like a nice guy. But if he was just returning, even with a boost I don't see how he could be the OP here.