Mage Tower: Still Overtuned

General Discussion
1 2 3 26 Next
This week the Mage Tower was up. And although I have in the past said I would never set foot in that tower again I decided to give it one more try. As it turns out, I gave it three more tries.

It had been several months since I did the Mage tower. The challenge I chose was the healing challenge as resto is my raid spec. Since my last attempt months ago my gear has improved. I don't recall what I had the last time I tried the challenge but this time I was sitting at 960.

In my best gear, feast eaten and flasked up I started the challenge. One of the three characters I had to keep up ran right into the mobs and it was off to the races.

The fight was ridiculous. Despite my better gear it was literally impossible. I furiously healed non stop to keep the team up and watched as my mana dipped to zero half way through wave one. Indeed, my mana fell so fast I wondered whether or not your mana pool was reduced for this challenge. (I do not think it is.)

I will not go into specific details on each of my three attempts. But suffice it to say that I never made it past phase I. On one of the three attempts I got close to the end of phase I. But my mana, having been at near zero for most of the fight, was to low to steadily heal. And sure enough one of the members went down and the challenge was over.

The Mage Tower remains overtuned. I am angry at Blizzard for putting such an overtuned mess in this game. It is absolutely a slap in the face of all players. What on earth were they thinking? Blizzard: This is not fun it is enraging. I am angry at myself for wasting my time doing this ridiculous tower three times. I should have known better.

Rest assured, I will never go back in that dratted tower. This time I really mean it. The sooner they remove it from the game the better. I am glad it is getting taken out come the next expansion. Good riddance.

Blizzard, this Mage Tower was a huge mistake plain and simple. Going forward I hope you learn from that mistake.

TLDR: The Mage Tower remains Overtuned. Despite higher ilevel gear at the end of this expansion it remains almost impossible. Blizzard need to learn from this disaster and not repeat the mistake going forward.
05/06/2018 06:18 AMPosted by Rastlin
This week the Mage Tower was up. And although I have in the past said I would never set foot in that tower again I decided to give it one more try. As it turns out, I gave it three more tries.

It had been several months since I did the Mage tower. The challenge I chose was the healing challenge as resto is my raid spec. Since my last attempt months ago my gear has improved. I don't recall what I had the last time I tried the challenge but this time I was sitting at 960.

In my best gear, feast eaten and flasked up I started the challenge. One of the three characters I had to keep up ran right into the mobs and it was off to the races.

The fight was ridiculous. Despite my better gear it was literally impossible. I furiously healed non stop to keep the team up and watched as my mana dipped to zero half way through wave one. Indeed, my mana fell so fast I wondered whether or not your mana pool was reduced for this challenge. (I do not think it is.)

I will not go into specific details on each of my three attempts. But suffice it to say that I never made it past phase I. On one of the three attempts I got close to the end of phase I. But my mana, having been at near zero for most of the fight, was to low to steadily heal. And sure enough one of the members went down and the challenge was over.

The Mage Tower remains overtuned. I am angry at Blizzard for putting such an overtuned mess in this game. It is absolutely a slap in the face of all players. What on earth were they thinking? Blizzard: This is not fun it is enraging. I am angry at myself for wasting my time doing this ridiculous tower three times. I should have known better.

Rest assured, I will never go back in that dratted tower. This time I really mean it. The sooner they remove it from the game the better. I am glad it is getting taken out come the next expansion. Good riddance.

Blizzard, this Mage Tower was a huge mistake plain and simple. Going forward I hope you learn from that mistake.

TLDR: The Mage Tower remains Overtuned. Despite higher ilevel gear at the end of this expansion it remains almost impossible. Blizzard need to learn from this disaster and not repeat the mistake going forward.

You are entitled to pass it so they will nerf it for you. Not they did not nerf it already but will again.
I find this kind of PvE content excessively boring since in most cases you have to do a research on the web and re-talent, etc. and then follow a protracted script. And if you do all that and actually complete the challenge then you get a transmog appearance.

I'd rather grind rep for an old faction than do any of that. Or solo old raids in the hope of getting a mount.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I just don't find that content interesting. I think I tried it once (with absolutely no research of course) just to confirm that I should spend my time elsewhere. I zoned in, saw how much health the boss had and zoned out.
Posting in a Rastlin thread.
Another one of Rastlin's Sunday threads.
I’ve seen some of your resto logs, you don’t press your keys hard enough.
I love me some sunday threads!
The only appearances I actually wanted were the Disc Priest and Prot Pali. I completed the disc priest one at 930 item level. I've all but given up on the Prot Pali one and he's at 930 as well. I've tanked as a pali just fine but that crap is nuts.

I know alot of people have done it and I tip my hat to you. But I've played all sorts of video games my entire life and that encounter is not an average player fight. I know they meant it to be that hard and thats fine. Clearly its beyond my ability and I'm cool with that. What I really wish is that people would stop calling it faceroll because (speaking for myself as an average player who has completed at least one of these challenges) for the average player the prot pali challenge even at high item level is not faceroll.
I'm not a particularly good player. I only wanted the frost mage appearance really bad, so I decided to work on it on my decently geared mage. It took me an embarrassing amount of attempts for my ilvl, but I did it and I was proud because the Mage Tower is supposed to challenge you, and as I practised I got better, saw where I was going wrong, etc. I am now a slightly better player than when I started my attempts.

tl;dr practise, pinpoint where you're going wrong, practise some more, and you will improve.
Pff haha, ahh Rastlin you silly boy.
literally impossible.

I don't think these words mean what you think they mean...
If I don't clear a single MT before BfA because they're too hard I will accept that as a failing on my part.

They're intended to be challenging and the reward is visual and meant to be prestigious.

I don't feel you should be able to argue away the accomplishments of others.

If you don't get a vanity skin life will uh uh uh find a way.
I was going to say this is a bad attempt at trolling, but its rastlin. It'd be a slap in the face if it wasn't bad.
It is absolutely a slap in the face of all players.
/drink

The fight was ridiculous.
... was literally impossible.
The Mage Tower remains overtuned.
And yet thousands have done it, many more than a handful of times.

... it was literally impossible.
... it remains almost impossible.
These statements contradict each other. Which is it?

And one last (mostly rhetorical) question: do you know why they call it a 'challenge'?
05/06/2018 06:27 AMPosted by Dastalis
I find this kind of PvE content excessively boring since in most cases you have to do a research on the web and re-talent, etc. and then follow a protracted script. And if you do all that and actually complete the challenge then you get a transmog appearance.

I'd rather grind rep for an old faction than do any of that. Or solo old raids in the hope of getting a mount.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I just don't find that content interesting. I think I tried it once (with absolutely no research of course) just to confirm that I should spend my time elsewhere. I zoned in, saw how much health the boss had and zoned out.

I totally agree. I like a good challenge as long as it has some flexibility to it. When there's one specific way to complete a challenge, I no longer see the point. I feel the same way about pet battles. You have to have specific team builds to beat specific fights. I need more flexibility to play around with.
This definitely seems like a troll thread but....

It seems to me that you are not interrupting the mobs that shoot the giant blue arrows, and that is why you're having mana issues. I'd suggest watching some guides or reading up on the encounter before calling it overtuned, as it should be easily doable at your ilvl (people have been doing it at like ilvl 900).
05/06/2018 06:42 AMPosted by Fleb

Five upvotes in 30 minutes on a Sunday morning proves how right my point is.
If you can't get past P1 at a 960 iLvL you have a fundamental lack of understanding of your class, or the encounter.

Until you fix your class understanding/play, or your understanding of the encounter the MT is always going to seem "literally impossible." Ignoring the fact it was done by people with 60 - 70 iLvLs less than you.

You are not entitled to just receive the reward because you stepped into the encounter a grand total of 5 times.
Ragin' Rastlin strikes again, blames game for own inadequacy, film at eleven.
05/06/2018 07:17 AMPosted by Rastlin
05/06/2018 06:42 AMPosted by Fleb

Five upvotes in 30 minutes on a Sunday morning proves how right my point is.

Upvotes do not prove anything. You cannot be that foolish to actually believe that.