Mage Tower: Still Overtuned

General Discussion
Prev 1 11 12 13 26 Next
05/06/2018 06:18 AMPosted by Rastlin
This week the Mage Tower was up. And although I have in the past said I would never set foot in that tower again I decided to give it one more try. As it turns out, I gave it three more tries.

It had been several months since I did the Mage tower. The challenge I chose was the healing challenge as resto is my raid spec. Since my last attempt months ago my gear has improved. I don't recall what I had the last time I tried the challenge but this time I was sitting at 960.

In my best gear, feast eaten and flasked up I started the challenge. One of the three characters I had to keep up ran right into the mobs and it was off to the races.

The fight was ridiculous. Despite my better gear it was literally impossible. I furiously healed non stop to keep the team up and watched as my mana dipped to zero half way through wave one. Indeed, my mana fell so fast I wondered whether or not your mana pool was reduced for this challenge. (I do not think it is.)

I will not go into specific details on each of my three attempts. But suffice it to say that I never made it past phase I. On one of the three attempts I got close to the end of phase I. But my mana, having been at near zero for most of the fight, was to low to steadily heal. And sure enough one of the members went down and the challenge was over.

The Mage Tower remains overtuned. I am angry at Blizzard for putting such an overtuned mess in this game. It is absolutely a slap in the face of all players. What on earth were they thinking? Blizzard: This is not fun it is enraging. I am angry at myself for wasting my time doing this ridiculous tower three times. I should have known better.

Rest assured, I will never go back in that dratted tower. This time I really mean it. The sooner they remove it from the game the better. I am glad it is getting taken out come the next expansion. Good riddance.

Blizzard, this Mage Tower was a huge mistake plain and simple. Going forward I hope you learn from that mistake.

TLDR: The Mage Tower remains Overtuned. Despite higher ilevel gear at the end of this expansion it remains almost impossible. Blizzard need to learn from this disaster and not repeat the mistake going forward.

It's a real SLAP in the FACE, amirite?
I think I can safely say as long as Rastlin refuses to listen to advice, bellows that upvotes = truth, keeps on whining about parse shaming, refuses to improve and doesn't accept that in fact they might be the problem here they will never manage the Mage Tower.

Next you know we'll be seeing a "MAGE TOWER MADE ME LOSE MY JOB" post.
This is a L2P issue.
Sorry.

By doing the mage tower you will become better at your spec.
Its not impossible, your just doing it wrong.
3 tries?
Pfft dude some people go for over a hundred attempts...........

Git gud or stop complaining, it does not need tuning.
I suck at healing and i did all the healing challenges, its just a matter of been aware of the mechanics.

Of all the MT challenge, the healer one is the most fair and accurate of all. A stupid paper tank that cant hold aggro, a pure blood huntard and a lame melee dps that spread dps in the wrong places, the average dungeon finder group. Ironicaly since you don't need to fix your team stupidity after p1 the challenge its a field trip after that.
05/06/2018 12:24 PMPosted by Rastlin
There is nothing that says you can equip it as a 3rd legendary.

Nothing.

There's nothing that says "Unique-Equipped: Legeion Legendary (2)" like the rest of the legendaries do aswell.
05/07/2018 04:10 AMPosted by Lansuppercut
Of all the MT challenge, the healer one is the most fair and accurate of all. A stupid paper tank that cant hold aggro, a pure blood huntard and a lame melee dps that spread dps in the wrong places, the average dungeon finder group. Ironicaly since you don't need to fix your team stupidity after p1 the challenge its a field trip after that.
Ok we’re good to go. Jarod swap back to Prot spec out of Fury and pull whenever you want.

Jarod: charges immediately.

Ok I guess we’re doing this now.

Also come to think of it it may have been a better idea to find a rifleman who doesn’t need glasses.
05/07/2018 01:21 AMPosted by Teufelgott
05/06/2018 09:14 AMPosted by Clottibby
That so many people will post in a Rastlin thread is just a slap in the face.

That the game gave somebody like Rastlin Aman'Thul's Vision is a HUGE slap in the face.
I'm gonna slap the face of whoever taught Rastlin to bold random words in his posts.

It is the proper way to give emphasis to key words.

This is preferred over CAPS LOCK which is considered rude.

And yes someone on this forum taught me and getting it down was a pain and even crashed my computer. I forget who the poster/teacher was.
05/07/2018 04:19 AMPosted by Cantz
05/06/2018 12:24 PMPosted by Rastlin
There is nothing that says you can equip it as a 3rd legendary.

Nothing.

There's nothing that says "Unique-Equipped: Legeion Legendary (2)" like the rest of the legendaries do aswell.

That sounds exactly like you just get 2 legendaries.

It was a Blizz fail.
05/07/2018 03:11 AMPosted by Yûu
I think I can safely say as long as Rastlin refuses to listen to advice, bellows that upvotes = truth, keeps on whining about parse shaming, refuses to improve and doesn't accept that in fact they might be the problem here they will never manage the Mage Tower.

Next you know we'll be seeing a "MAGE TOWER MADE ME LOSE MY JOB" post.

No, the Mage Tower will not make me lose my job.

I mostly pet battle at work because that's something you can shut the laptop quickly if the boss pops in.

It is a rotten job anyway and the store is mostly empty all day and the place will probably be out of business soon anyway. Malls really are dying.

And I would not make a post like that in any event. I make posts to try to improve the game.
05/07/2018 02:12 AMPosted by Dubknight
This week the Mage Tower was up. And although I have in the past said I would never set foot in that tower again I decided to give it one more try. As it turns out, I gave it three more tries.

It had been several months since I did the Mage tower. The challenge I chose was the healing challenge as resto is my raid spec. Since my last attempt months ago my gear has improved. I don't recall what I had the last time I tried the challenge but this time I was sitting at 960.

In my best gear, feast eaten and flasked up I started the challenge. One of the three characters I had to keep up ran right into the mobs and it was off to the races.

The fight was ridiculous. Despite my better gear it was literally impossible. I furiously healed non stop to keep the team up and watched as my mana dipped to zero half way through wave one. Indeed, my mana fell so fast I wondered whether or not your mana pool was reduced for this challenge. (I do not think it is.)

I will not go into specific details on each of my three attempts. But suffice it to say that I never made it past phase I. On one of the three attempts I got close to the end of phase I. But my mana, having been at near zero for most of the fight, was to low to steadily heal. And sure enough one of the members went down and the challenge was over.

The Mage Tower remains overtuned. I am angry at Blizzard for putting such an overtuned mess in this game. It is absolutely a slap in the face of all players. What on earth were they thinking? Blizzard: This is not fun it is enraging. I am angry at myself for wasting my time doing this ridiculous tower three times. I should have known better.

Rest assured, I will never go back in that dratted tower. This time I really mean it. The sooner they remove it from the game the better. I am glad it is getting taken out come the next expansion. Good riddance.

Blizzard, this Mage Tower was a huge mistake plain and simple. Going forward I hope you learn from that mistake.

TLDR: The Mage Tower remains Overtuned. Despite higher ilevel gear at the end of this expansion it remains almost impossible. Blizzard need to learn from this disaster and not repeat the mistake going forward.

It's a real SLAP in the FACE, amirite?

I mean, yes, it really is.

What I do not get is why people get so hung up over the term slap in the face? It's just an expression-and a very fitting one.

But yes I try to consciously avoid the term and not use it much because for some unknown reason people get all worked up.

You realize how many people have actually done the Mage Tower for a Shaman [All 3 specs actually] flawlessly? Myself, personally, it took at least 30 tries as a tank, 30ish tries as a healer... But dps was kinda easy, unfortunately.

Just practice and get better, honestly. Make some mouse over macro's. Adjust your UI to stop casts. Figure out a better way to slow, CC, kite, that kind of thing.
05/07/2018 05:02 AMPosted by Kendris
Just practice and get better, honestly. Make some mouse over macro's. Adjust your UI to stop casts. Figure out a better way to slow, CC, kite, that kind of thing.
Reading the OP she described her mana plummeting by the second wave leaving her unable to heal which smells like Mana Sting to me so I’d start with learning the mechanics of the encounter. (As an aside the second wave is also when the first Mage pops up and if you don’t know what you’re supposed to do with it it’ll ruin your day.)

Granted if Blizz is going to do something like this they should
absolutely make a dungeon journal for it and I will take them to task on that. However since they didn’t it would be irresponsible of us players to pretend like there’s no other way to get that information. Head to Icy Veins or watch some video guide on the healer challenge. There’s some really good guides for Shaman in particular as well.
Learning the mechanics of the encounter.

This.

I wasn't trying to be a jerk... Being how I was literally screaming and ready to throw my computer into the trash because of Jarod Shadowsong being a complete derp; I totally understand the struggle.
The mage tower was designed for mythic Nighthold gear / normal ToS gear.

If you want to do it, but can't do it at this point with all the gear bloat for brute forcing parts and guides out there going over everything in detail step by step, then you just suck at that class.

The simple fact that you out gear the mage tower by 60 ilvl and can't complete it is rather embarrassing for you.
Maybe you're just not the audience the encounter is intended to, it's alright.
05/06/2018 08:47 PMPosted by Baruup
I really can’t tell if raistlin is a troll or everything wrong with video games today.

I have learned that on this forum is someone disagrees with your point they tend to call you a troll.

Of course the 30 upvotes I have received speak otherwise.

The fact is the majority of players agree the Mage Tower is overtuned.
05/07/2018 05:33 AMPosted by Rastlin
05/06/2018 08:47 PMPosted by Baruup
I really can’t tell if raistlin is a troll or everything wrong with video games today.

I have learned that on this forum is someone disagrees with your point they tend to call you a troll.

Don’t let that pass over the fact that someone who posted “posting in a Raistlin thread” which signifies that this thread is not to be taken seriously has more upvotes, sitting at 32.
05/07/2018 05:33 AMPosted by Rastlin

30 players is a majority of the WoW playerbase?

Dang. They weren’t kidding when they said WoW sub numbers have dropped.
haha doesn't this guy want to get rid of mythic raiding too?
Mage tower appears to be faceroll at 930+ except for certain specs. I didn't know how to play disc priest and 1 shot the challenge at 935. Havoc DH done in <10 attempts at 925. Holy priest challenge was tough but doable at around the 920 mark. At 960 hot damn dude it may as well be completeable at lvl 120 it's so trivialized.