Your method of farming gold in Vanilla

Classic Discussion
Will you use professions? Take advantage of AH with flipping? Maybe just farm gold the good old fashion way of grinding mobs. How will you farm gold in Classic?
Skinning is the best profession if your speeding to 60. It lets you just skin what you kill and vendor the skin for money for a level 40 mount.

Herbalism is the best gathering proff for money due to the requirement of consumables.

Mining is very good early game.

Skinning is a self serving profession and most of your gold being made will be selling skin to BS an Engi who need it to level BS and Engi.

The best way outside of herbalism in vanilla to make money is to find a product on the AH that is in high demand and the demand ins't being fulfilled. Elemental/Essence farming from Elementals for example is a great way of making money. It also feeds into alchy because people need resistance pots and consumes in vanilla.

Or you can ask susan for gold. Enjoy your ban though. I expect we will have enormous ban waves from people buying gold simply because its not exactly harder but more tedious in vanilla.
I used to zone out killing harpies in northern Feralas and looting their mageweave etc.

I'm sure it wasn't very efficient, but it was pretty fun.

I had a priest toon who, if I recall correctly, flipped greens into Greater Eternal Essences and auctioned those for a decent sum while saving up for an epic mount.

Again, probably not the best way, but it did the job.
Fishing in Tanaris while on standby for raids paid my bills...

Dungeon runs with friends for fun didn't hurt either.
I was the first and highest-level dragonscale leatherworker on my server. I sold a lot of blue and green dragonscale armor to shamans, mostly farming the scales myself. (Today, I'd expect to sell a lot more black dragonscale. IIRC, it was very weak at release and got buffed later, or maybe just no one understood that we wanted it, idk, but I don't remember selling any significant amount of it so I stopped farming the scales.)
I have it planned out. pretty much by leveling alts to 35 I'll be able to make 150-200g a week just through daily log ins. 35 takes ~36 hours of game time and most of it will be rested which makes it quicker. while leveling all classes will have skinning and either mining or herbalism. when most people are getting their first level 60 I will have about 4 level 35s. this leaves me plenty of time to gather gold while leveling. by time I get a 60 I could easily just buy my epic mount and any catch up gear I need. I know vanilla isn't going anywhere so I don't have to be first level 60 on the server just within a few months.
I'm not telling you! ;P
Most of the gold I made came from working the AH between BG queus on my warlock, primarily with enchanting.

My alt rogue being an herbalist found a very handy spot just inside one of the scarlet monastery instances that had a guaranteed fadeleaf spawn like 10 seconds from the door... I'd just park my rogue alt outside the zone in, and grab the spawn, reset, and repeat until instance locked. Took maybe 5-10 min and gave 2ish stacks of fadeleaf for the trouble.....Could repeat that every few hours and get 5+

No where near the best gold generator, but it was very quick, easy, and consistent gold since Fadeleaf was always in demand for blinding powder.

This go around, I don't plan on going as nuts on the pvp grind so I'll get to leave town a bit more...

Planning on going engi this time around, so Mining will apparently be my go to farm method... as a rogue I think Silithus Hive-Thorium farming is probably the best bet since I'll be able to stealth run it.... If I'm not making enough gold I'll probably go enchanter here instead.
I'm wondering if hunters will be able to solo DM North again...
05/14/2018 12:36 PMPosted by Drashichon
Will you use professions? Take advantage of AH with flipping? Maybe just farm gold the good old fashion way of grinding mobs. How will you farm gold in Classic?

Mostly a combination of gathering professions on multiple characters, looting everything and running back to sell, and not spending wastefully on things I don't need.

I had an addon in vanilla that helped me "farm gold" because it would hide a percentage of what I had and keep me from spending it. (Example, if I had 2g 44s 10c, at 50% that would show me 1g 22s 5c on the bag and block me from spending more.) How it helped was I would have to go do a little bit extra grinding all the time just to repair or buy spells, and that added up.

I also remember, once I learned about Thottbot and Allakazham, that I could look up quest rewards and find the vendor price if none were useful to me - getting the most coin for my work.
Alliance - Dwarf Rogue (subtly works best) Track chests run in any dungeon
grab it (with Sap/Blind) and repeat as often as you like (pick pockets before
resetting the dungeons) Stockades, Scarlet Monastery, BRD, Dire Maul.
Tons of humanoid trash.

If you need gold on your horde toon, simply put up rune cloth pieces (1)
on the neutral Auction house for (example) 50g or 100g or how ever much
your Alliance Rogue has, then have your Alliance rogue come down and ''Buy''
them, that's a easy way of transferring your gold between factions (-10%)
for the Auction House cut.
05/14/2018 03:51 PMPosted by Spiritbow
Alliance - Dwarf Rogue (subtly works best) Track chests run in any dungeon grab it (with Sap/Blind) and repeat as often as you like (pick pockets before resetting the dungeons)

Just pick-pocketing in general, if you play a rogue. Pick EVERY pocket you can get away with.
05/14/2018 03:51 PMPosted by Spiritbow
Alliance - Dwarf Rogue (subtly works best) Track chests run in any dungeon
grab it (with Sap/Blind) and repeat as often as you like (pick pockets before
resetting the dungeons) Stockades, Scarlet Monastery, BRD, Dire Maul.
Tons of humanoid trash.

Cool strat, too bad for me I don't like how dwarf looks. :(

05/14/2018 03:56 PMPosted by Eilethalua
Just pick-pocketing in general, if you play a rogue. Pick EVERY pocket you can get away with.

Amen to that!
I probably won't focus on farming gold, except for where it is necessary for equipping alts. I only became "GoForDaGold" once Blizzard had trashed the original leveling experience beyond recognition. At that point, since end-game had no appeal to me, working the market for gold was the only satisfying thing left in the game. Today, as Blizzard's game-gutting onslaught has systematically destroyed all but the end-game item markets, not even playing the market is satisfying. Hence, my presence here, waiting and hoping for Classic to restore the world to its proper order.
Starting playing in April 05. After one month I went searching the internet for ways to make money. Best advice I found was :

A - Take 2 gathering profession until level 40 - sell everything on the AH.

B - At level 40 decide if you want to change one to a trade.
If you do decide to change to a trade - look into it and find items that you can make a profit by buying mats off the AH and then selling the item.

So for me back in "05, since my characters already had gathering and trade professions it was the 2nd option.

While leveling my first 3 toons - I remember buying an Alchemy recipe "swiftness potion" for 10gold off the AH and then buying the mats to make the potion sending it to my blacksmith who then brought the mats for a level 18-20 dagger that had +4 agility. I was able to buy the all the mats for 1g50 and was selling them for 3g each. Would sell 3 pairs during the week and about 5 to 8 pairs on the weekend.

Once I got to level 60 I found 3 blacksmithing patterns for Head/Chest and legs(?) for blue items around level 54/55. The Head and chest were good sellers. Mats would cost me 250g on the AH and I could sell the items for 500g each. Was a good earner for 3 months or so until others found the market.

Lastly - When I finally created a Bank alt - level him to 5 and got enchanting. I was surprised to find out that I could bid on low level greens (mostly those made to level professions) and disenchant them to strange dust and then sell the dust for a profit on the AH.
So any green Armour under level 12 placed on AH for less then 15 silver or if level 13 to 20 under 30 silver I would bid or buyout. Level 12 ones I got 2 to 3 strange dust - level 13 to 20 I would get 4 to 6!
There were these blacksmithing level 16 pants/legs that every blacksmith seem to make to level. The AH would list at 16 silver bid start. When you disenchanted them you would get 4 to 6 strange dust which I would resell for 10 silver each. Made many a profit on those.
I used to hunt for low lvl bis bg gear to sell on the AH with my hunter. Low/mid lvl instances. Did Mara runs with hunter also for a while for gold and I think it was the +nature gear sold well.

Send the cloth and bad greens to my alt tailor/enchanter and sell bags/enchants in IF.

Hunters are pretty awesome first char to farm/gear stuff for mains. Again though it's hard to stop playing them and switch to a main.
Arcanite Crystals and camping days on end in tunnel exit in DM north wing (iirc)
05/14/2018 02:59 PMPosted by Eilethalua
05/14/2018 12:36 PMPosted by Drashichon

Mostly a combination of gathering professions on multiple characters, looting everything and running back to sell, and not spending wastefully on things I don't need.

I had an addon in vanilla that helped me "farm gold" because it would hide a percentage of what I had and keep me from spending it. (Example, if I had 2g 44s 10c, at 50% that would show me 1g 22s 5c on the bag and block me from spending more.) How it helped was I would have to go do a little bit extra grinding all the time just to repair or buy spells, and that added up.

I also remember, once I learned about Thottbot and Allakazham, that I could look up quest rewards and find the vendor price if none were useful to me - getting the most coin for my work.

pretty simple explanation is weapons>plate>shields>mail>leather>cloth.

repair costs are a functional part of vendor cost. so generally apeakinf this is how it works. the difference will be within a few gold by 60 if you save your time and just follow that format.
05/14/2018 02:34 PMPosted by Xakep
I'm wondering if hunters will be able to solo DM North again...

I honestly hope not. Same with mages farming ZG crocs. I hope they're both off the table.
DM Solo tbh. If no changes is happening, that's what ya get