I hate scalpers

General Discussion
It's messed up that they use bots to buy tickets and try to make a profit than actually being fans of blizzard and actually wanting to go to blizzcon.

I may never go to blizzcon because lets face it, with college and apartment and stuff, i don't see myself going to blizzcon for a few good years. But i just feel so bad for those who actually do have the $$$ and actually want to go, to have their chances ruined by scalpers.
Stinks but take solace, if you really want to go to Blizzcon, they usually have a stream that you can purchase and you usually get cool looking mounts. As for me, I just watch the highlights for free on youtube after the event ends, because I don't want to stick around for a 2 day advert.
Does blizz even have basic protection from bots? I've never bought from their store page so I don't know.
Tis the life of an ebay seller.
05/12/2018 01:37 PMPosted by Lunnaya
I may never go to blizzcon

so why get all upset over something you'll never do?
Just go onto Ebay and report all of them. And then don't buy those scalped tickets. It's the only way to screw them over.
I always get the virtual ticket. Much less trouble!
It's illegal so I really don't know why Blizzard does not go after them or have some sort of protection.
Blogpost? Blogpost.
05/12/2018 04:00 PMPosted by Alaeis
It's illegal so I really don't know why Blizzard does not go after them or have some sort of protection.

Yeah, you'd think.
They need to do what singer Eric Church did for one of his concerts
years ago. He sold all the tickets, went online, or had someone else
go online, and find all the tickets scalpers were trying to resell.

He then canceled all those tickets and closed down that seating.
Then reopened the seating, and resold the tickets.
In that moment, he made 25 thousand tickets bought by scalpers,
100% worthless.
05/12/2018 03:02 PMPosted by Annastasi

any excuse to make a thread.

any.

literally.

any.
05/12/2018 04:09 PMPosted by Mursh

100% worthless.

This is actually a great idea.
05/12/2018 04:00 PMPosted by Alaeis

From a business standpoint, it's cost prohibitive to go after every single person who scalps tickets, not to mention that there aren't any federal laws that prohibit the practice. States can choose to set their own laws, and some of them do (California is one such state), but what happens if someone tries to scalp those tickets in a state that doesn't ban it?

As for scalping protection, what would you suggest? The most common suggestion I've seen here is to somehow prohibit ticket distribution beyond the original purchaser. Assuming they find a method that works (which is tricky), what happens to the unfortunate folks who have to cancel their plans last minute? Now they're stuck with unusable tickets and no way to recoup their lost money. Locking tickets like that isn't a smart move from a customer perspective, and Blizzard doesn't want the bad PR.
Funnily enough, scalping was in the news here earlier in the week. It related to tickets for our local Australian Football League grand final. There's only limited seating at the stadium, so tickets get snapped up pretty fast.
Relevant part:
All AFL finals matches in Victoria will be protected by tougher anti-scalping rules with new legislation introduced to stop football fans from being fleeced.

New laws that passed the Victorian Parliament this week will make it illegal to sell tickets to so-called “declared events” for more than 10 per cent above face value.

The Victorian government has revealed “declared event status” will be applied to all finals matches in Victoria, giving fans greater protection from scalpers.

Full article here:
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/all-afl-finals-to-be-protected-by-anti-scalping-laws-20180509-p4zeby.html
05/12/2018 04:11 PMPosted by Deathchix

any excuse to make a thread.

any.

literally.

any.

Exactly. She treats this as her personal blog, and it gets annoying. She should permanently quit the forums like she said she was going to do 20 times already.

Thread material - they need something to make a thread about.
05/12/2018 04:15 PMPosted by Gaahr
As for scalping protection, what would you suggest?

I don't know, I'm not a billion dollar company.
05/12/2018 04:09 PMPosted by Mursh

100% worthless.

Brilliant! Not only does it free up seats for actual fans, but it punishes the scalpers by leaving them out money.
This was going to be my 1st ever blizzcon, i saved up all year.

We were going to go as a group of friends, we tried to get tickets both nights but they literally instantly sold out before we could purchase tickets.

Its rather frustrating, more so since they hype it up so much and say everyone should go, yet its impossible :/

Edit : not going to pay 500+ for a single ticket