How to fix this Lightbound Debacle.

General Discussion
Simple fix really. Remove all references to Yrel and the Draenei forcing some of the orcs to join the Light. There's only like 2 lines that state this, it's an easy fix.

They also state some orcs joined the Lightbound of their free will. Just make it so that *all* Lightbound Orcs willingly joined. Voila, problem solved.

Yrel and the Draenei were a people persecuted by the Legion and forced to flee multiple planets to avoid being enslaved by them.

They would NEVER force another race to see their way, especially people who helped fight against the Legion side by side.
I've been gone for five months, what happened?
I actually think its more interesting to have the Draenei there be a bit more forceful.

The AU Draenei are without Velen, who's always sort of been their 'do nothing' rock of stagnant stability. Yrel was forged by war, not peace, and lost pretty much everything to it. AU Draenei society is completely dominated by their military at this point, so it's really not an unreasonable leap for them to make.

Why wouldn't they? I'm sure the AU draenei learned of what the MU orcs did to the MU draenei counterparts. Why not turn the tides a bit? Heck, the orcs decimated the AU draenei forces to the point where it became a meme about the draenei always being victims.

Let us be the aggressors.
I don't see why they can't make the Lightbound the enemy of the orcs without also making them look fanatical and crazy. I thought Mag'har were supposed to be these big strong conquerors, savage and dangerous, not victims of persecution on their own planet.
I don't see what needs fixing. Stuff happens over time. Maybe Yrel was chill when we left, there's no reason to assume she can't become non chill as time went on. Especially if there's Naaru influence. They be gods. I'm happy to see something like this, it's interesting and cool writing.
no 1 because draenei are just holy demons( eredar) 2nd most people hate yrel anyways.
Leave it as is and see the darker side of the Draenei that are fanatics of the Light without Velen to balance it.
GOD I hate time travel
05/09/2018 07:57 PMPosted by Autri
the darker side of the Draenei that are fanatics of the Light

Oddly ironic
This sounds EXACTLY like something the Light would do. Xera?! Remember the Naaru expect unconditional blind faith and Loyalty. Why wouldn't Draenei who have no external enemies make sure their is peace on their terms.

In fact, I would be surprised if they don't come to our world to try to convert us!

Haven't you ever had any religious people knock on your door on a Sunday morning? Those people can be relentless!
It does actually make sense. We've had plenty of otherwise reasonable and decent folks IRL decide to start cutting peoples' heads off for not being the same religion.
It also didn't suddenly happen. The AU's 35+ years ahead now in the span between expansions.

Even the text says that the years immediately following WoD events were good. Harmonious. And then the Draenei started introducing the Light. And then they got pushy. And then they got aggressive. This happened over decades, not months.

The orcs not wanting to give up their shamanistic religion is incredibly reasonable considering the last few times things have tried to shake them out of it have been the Legion doing some crazy plot to kill the Draenei. Now the Draenei are doing their side of it, and the orcs likely politely refused at first. Which is almost uncharacteristically diplomatic for orcs.

Now, the Light? It only sees one path - which it fully believes is the "true" path and all others are lies. So if the Light says "The orcs must become followers of the Light or bad things happen", the Light's followers hop to it. Even if its inevitably a wrong vision.

Velen himself has only recently begun to doubt how... correct the visions he receives from the Light are. Yrel doesn't have that sort of experience discerning possible wrongness. So she'd take any visions at face value.
05/09/2018 07:59 PMPosted by Heckholler
It does actually make sense. We've had plenty of otherwise reasonable and decent folks IRL decide to start cutting peoples' heads off for not being the same religion.

Great name.
I've come around to it, slightly. AU Draenei with no support from Velen fall back to the Na'aru for guidance, the Eredar have been shown to fall for strong leadership as long as that leadership can make a reasonable argument (Whether they tell truth is another matter). The Na'aru seeing that they have time now that there is no legion around begin to convert the denizens of Draenor into a new warband for the armies of the light to pick up and utilise in the fight against the legion and voidlords. Things go wrong and skip down the line a portal opens that is time-line adjacent to us rather than 30 years in the past and things have gone bonkers.

What I want to know is what are the Na'aru so afraid of they pull a X'era on another world. X'era showed that lightforging is what a powerful Na'aru can do but X'era acted out of desperation, X'era believed they needed the prophesied light redeemed Illidan Stormrage to lead the armies against the seat of power of the burning legion. The Na'aru aren't without emotion, they have been shown to prefer to let things be unless there is a crisis afoot (Otherwise O'ros would have converted all the Draenei to Lightforged before they even got to Azeroth).

What I fear though is that there is no real crisis, this is all just ham-fisted writing because they need to justify why AU orcs would want to come to azeroth, join the horde, and give them motivation to fight in Battle for Old Gods. Unlike the released allied races which kinda just float into the horde/alliance on a whim. It also is an expansion and reiteration on the theme that the light is a source of power and a tool, and will all tools it can be wielded for good, bad, and morally grey reasons. It also ties into one of the realities that blizzard feels the need for the alliance to do an act of evil/not-nice to justify why people would join the horde rather than the horde stand on its own merits.
Not a debacle. Does not need fixing.
05/09/2018 07:59 PMPosted by Uthos

Haven't you ever had any religious people knock on your door on a Sunday morning? Those people can be relentless!

So? I politely decline but also offer them a drink of water and if they’d like to rest their feet for a few moments then wish them safe travels. There’s absolutely zero call to be a d- to them. If you think there is then I feel sorry for you.
05/09/2018 07:52 PMPosted by Dunacht
et us be the aggressors.

Au draenei arent you. No one here are aggressors. Unplayable npcs who dont matter to anything after one scenario wont make any difference.
05/09/2018 07:52 PMPosted by Dunacht
I actually think its more interesting to have the Draenei there be a bit more forceful.

The AU Draenei are without Velen, who's always sort of been their 'do nothing' rock of stagnant stability. Yrel was forged by war, not peace, and lost pretty much everything to it. AU Draenei society is completely dominated by their military at this point, so it's really not an unreasonable leap for them to make.

Why wouldn't they? I'm sure the AU draenei learned of what the MU orcs did to the MU draenei counterparts. Why not turn the tides a bit? Heck, the orcs decimated the AU draenei forces to the point where it became a meme about the draenei always being victims.

Let us be the aggressors.

Thank goodness there is at least one Draenei that doesn't think his race is 100% pure and incapable of doing bad things. I'm all for the Draenei blindly following the Light, right after all that happened to them on AU Draenor. It just reinforces the idea that the Naaru are not truly good beings, just tools of the Light. And we know the Light can be used for ill.
05/09/2018 07:59 PMPosted by Heckholler

An atheist once told me to kill myself because I’m not anti-religious and they meant it. I’m secular humanist and I have never received such bile from a religious person.
05/09/2018 09:27 PMPosted by Azivalla
Thank goodness there is at least one Draenei that doesn't think his race is 100% pure and incapable of doing bad things.

It'd be a pretty hard stance to take after Archimonde, Kil'jaeden, and the man'ari. They're eredar too, you know? XD

Its just a different way of taking the "WAAUGH" pill. It's a fun story, regardless.