PvP Tier System?

War Mode and World PvP
Prev 1 3 4 5
Am I reading this right? Anyone who ends above 2400 will be Gladiator in 3v3? That seems like a significant nerf to the title. Look at this season in particular, Duelist was nearly 2300 with teams going up as high as 3,000+. We are going to go from hundreds of Glads to thousands or millions.

It certainly doesn't feel as exclusive as 0.5% as it was. What about Rank 1 titles? Are those gone forever?
05/20/2018 11:19 PMPosted by Saiia
Please dont make glad this easy, keep glad mount and title 2700+ or percentile based.
This will actually make me quit the game

I'm one of these Duelists that barely scrape by you mention. I've gotten glad in TBC and since then 2680 was my highest, never was able to get it again. I'm glad this allows me the opportunity to reach that goal again as I am older. I also do feel like it's low. But if you think about it, most Blizzard games the top tier isn't as difficult as in this game where the same players and their boosts are controlling the top.

I'm ok with this change, but they should add R1 titles to 2700+ for sure. Maybe even give them another reward besides mount.
05/08/2018 08:31 PMPosted by Phalanx
I think we can all agree that more players doing competitive PvP is a worthwhile goal.

Not if this translates into barring rewards for Unrated PvP behind Rated PvP.

I hope y'all'd learn from Ashran that its generally a bad idea to bait an uninterested audience into content they dislike for rewards they need to be competitive. It just breeds resentment and burn out.

I love random BGs. I hate RBGs. Don't make me do RBGs to increase my competitiveness in random BGs.

Why do I hate RBGs?

1. You generally have to play on-meta specs to push rating. Want to FC as a Blood DK? Too bad. No one competitive will want to play with you.

2. It generally takes longer to find teams. I've hit over 2k before and it usually takes about 40 minutes to get a game going when you're combing through applicants to find people with the right spec, cr, and/or experience.

3. Not everyone cares for voice coms.

If you want ilvl to matter in PvP, you could at least cap it in unrated PvP so unrated players aren't missing out by not pushing rating or doing M+/Raids.
Aesthetic rewards, mounts and armor/weapon mogs should remain exclusive to those that earned it.

But everyone should have the access to the same level of gear with sufficient time and work.

Heck those at lower skill level definitely don't need another factor like ilevel to impede them, and those at the top don't need the extra edge.
05/08/2018 08:31 PMPosted by Phalanx

What this means is that players in Challenger/Gold (1600-1800 around) will have a chance at ~Normal raid quality loot, Rival/Platinum (starting around 1800) with Heroic Raid quality loot, and so on.

[/quote]

The issue with this now though is that yeah at 1800 we are now getting heroic quality loot as far as ilvl but the gear we get in pvp are essentially just stat sticks. Heroic quality loot in raids will have effects, like set bonuses or trinket proc effects and heroic quality pvp loot will be legs that have 150 haste and 150 mastery. The two dont really compare when you remember things like deathbringers will and imagine a bfa equivalent from a raid then in pvp we will get a trinket that matches it in ilvl but will end up just being something that gives 100 crit or stam etc.

pvp set bonuses returning is an idea we've had floating up in the arena forums now and theres been a bunch of cool ways that they could be reintroduced. One way was make it so that collecting 2/4/etc amounts of pvp gear would allow us to gain an additional honor talent or two because currently many classes have 1-2 talents that we absolutely have to take each game and in the end we dont really have options. I think equiping a piece of pvp gear could give a buff like lets say "Resilient Versatility" & this buff could be similar to War mode but say something like "Wearing max level combatants or gladiators gear grants access to several tiers of things". With it being combatants or gladiators in the name we could also mix and match pvp gear without having to wear 5/5 of the normal set pieces and could wear like off set pieces or even have things like bracers add into the way its added up.

For 2 pieces equipped we could just gain like 100+ in primary stat,4 could give us some passive class effect like the old days or something. Then 6 or 7 pieces would give an additional honor talent or two. I think this would help make pvp gear BiS in pvp and it would prevent us from getting steamrolled by people wearing full raiding gear with fancy trinkets and tier bonuses because we would have some extra talents to customize our builds with and maybe some extra stats or something.

tldr; 1800 gear being same ilvl as heroic gear doesnt rly help if the pvp gear will just be stat sticks, consider bringing pvp set bonuses back that grant additional honor talents or just give us more to choose from as baseline or as a 120 unlock because just 3 isnt quite enough for any class.
What Blizzard forgot is that PvPers are looking at ONE good piece of PvP gear a week through Conquest, and the rest of the gear, obtained through unrated pvp content (random BGs) will be FAR inferior to PvE, just like it was in Legion.

As of now I see people getting ilvl 280-290-300 and sometimes 320 from random BGs, if they win, and sometimes the chests won't even drop gear.

What I predict from this is that, again, PvPers will be forced to do mythics and PvE AGAIN in order to gear up for PvP, since unrated gear will be so much worse than PvE.

Bravo, yet another !@#$%^- expansion where I'm forced to do heroics/mythics and raids while HATING that aspect of the game.
08/26/2018 02:12 PMPosted by Pirøtess

What I predict from this is that, again, PvPers will be forced to do mythics and PvE AGAIN in order to gear up for PvP, since unrated gear will be so much worse than PvE.

Bravo, yet another !@#$%^- expansion where I'm forced to do heroics/mythics and raids while HATING that aspect of the game.

That's pretty much what I'm seeing. Me and my friends used to do casual PvP (1-3 games a day, sometimes rated somtimes not) in Legion because that's all we had time for. Since they've learned that stat templates are going away and ilvl will matter, they've already unsubbed. They don't feel like grinding to not get dominated in PvP. Personally, I find the stress and ease of acquisition for gear is much much lower in PvE than PvP. Coming home and doing a dungeon/few WQ where I have a super high chance of getting a gear upgrade is much easier than grinding a few BGs, getting dominated by people with higher ilvl, and then having the chance to not even get anything at all. Instead build up "conquest points" for one gear a week.

Just yesterday I saw some guy advertising casual arenas with an ilvl requirement of 335+. Said it was because if you have low ilvl, you just end up getting one shotted by people.

But I guess they tried a more skill focused approach in legion. Where it was more based on a players skill level rather than the ilvl of their gear. Where rewards were cosmetic. It looks like that system failed for keeping players so they reverted it. Hopefully this system works better for them, but it seems like PvP in these type of MMOs are becoming more and more of side mini games rather than a focus.
09/03/2018 09:37 AMPosted by Dethbane
But I guess they tried a more skill focused approach in legion. Where it was more based on a players skill level rather than the ilvl of their gear. Where rewards were cosmetic. It looks like that system failed for keeping players so they reverted it. Hopefully this system works better for them, but it seems like PvP in these type of MMOs are becoming more and more of side mini games rather than a focus.

The figures I've seen say that Legion had better retention than any expansion in a decade. That to me suggests that templates were better than the gear>all approach from previous expansions.

By all accounts, there was gear scaling that reduced the effects of gear as much as templates did at the start of Test. After a nerf in test and a nerf in production, though, we're back to gear>all. The whiners get what they want, and the people who suffer in silence unsubscribe.
[Just yesterday I saw some guy advertising casual arenas with an ilvl requirement of 335+. Said it was because if you have low ilvl, you just end up getting one shotted by people.

Disregard that hyperbole. That is the same type of player demanding 385+ w/ AOTC to run an M0.