What is the lore reason for no flying?

General Discussion
Are there too many demons in the sky before you get your rep up?

In BfA will there be anti aircraft cannons?

Wrath had the excuse of weather being too cold until you had a spell to fix it. Have not seen any lore reason mentioned for what the achievement does that makes it safe to fly in legion.
Maybe flying be safe is the problem.
Instead of removing flight just stop making it safe. I can fight on a land mount in legion. I can fight underwater. Add aerial mounted combat and you will have a fun new feature that lets players move quickly, but not an auto escape combat.
Imagine the boss fights.
There doesn’t have to be a lore reason
The lore reason? Um...

Oh. So here it is:

“Blizzard wanted to cut development costs by creating a fish-bowl game space using invisible walls and cardboard backdrops, but instead of giving that as a reason, Ion Hazzikostas told everyone that ‘players just skip all the content with flying and we want to make the game more nuanced’. Instead they created another version of dailies and the sycophantic portion of the player base gave in to ‘Ion-nesia’ (Ion said it, therefore it must be true regardless of what actually happened).”

And, that is the lore reason for why you can’t fly until Blizzard adds whatever arbitrary rep-grinding and time-gate mechanics into the game.
05/09/2018 09:32 AMPosted by Gelato

Then why do bosses have name and elaborate character models?

If lore is not needed shouldn't we be grey cubes fighting other grey cubes in a blank white space?

Lore is what gives reason to the game.
Because the only metric they care about is "time played" so anything and everything that stretches this out, no matter how asinine and arduous, is good in their book. Oh there is no lore reason, they don't even pretend.
05/09/2018 09:42 AMPosted by Necromortis

If lore is not needed shouldn't we be grey cubes fighting other grey cubes in a blank white space?

Lore is not needed for every gameplay decision. Oh what’s the lore behind getting 50 experience points (can you carry them in your bags?) when you kill a boar? Is there lore behind me being level 110? When I damage a boss does the boss record and then tell me the exact number of its health points I took from it?
Stop trying to act smart
It’s just Ion being sour that his grand design of no flying ever again blew up in his face with all the grace and subtlety of a nuclear missile. That being said I’m okay with Pathfinder cause I do all that stuff on my first play through anyway. What’s absolutely not fine is withholding it for so long and then dropping more no flying content on us so soon after, compounded by leaving it as such for the whole rest of the xpac.
I don't have a problem with "no flying". You learn where things are, and you get a better appreciation for the work done on the art assets in the game.

But then, I have stealth, so I don't have to worry about aggroing everything.
05/09/2018 09:24 AMPosted by Necromortis
In BfA will there be anti aircraft cannons?

The RTS games have them, but that doesn't stop your enemy from attacking your base with gryphon riders, gargoyles, dragons, or wyverns.
05/09/2018 09:46 AMPosted by Gelato
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Lore is not needed for every gameplay decision. Oh what’s the lore behind getting 50 experience points (can you carry them in your bags?) when you kill a boar? Is there lore behind me being level 110? When I damage a boss does the boss record and then tell me the exact number of its health points I took from it?
Stop trying to act smart

I became a better fighter by fighting things.(XP)

I feel I have reached a goal in my fighting ability but can strive for higher.(Levels)

Perhaps I feel as strong as I can be right now but who knows what the future holds for me and my training to be better.(Level cap)

I can determine how much damage I have done to an opponent by looking at them.(Damage meter)

I think thats pretty standard lore reasoning.
I became a better fighter by fighting things(XP).

Doesn’t explain where the numbers come from in lore.

I feel I have reached a goal in my fighting ability but can strive for higher(Levels).

Again, no lore reasoning for the number!

Perhaps I feel as strong as I can be right now but who knows what the future holds for me and my training to be better(Level cap)

Perhaps? Oh we’re dealing with ‘perhaps’? Well PERHAPS there can be any reason for no flying? Perhaps Phil the janitor at Blizzard HQ said to Ion one day, “hey why don’t we take away flying for awhile” and Ion said “hell yeah Phil, great idea!”

Not. Every. Aspect. Of. Gameplay. Is. Driven. By. Lore.

Let me stop you right there. You are mixing your apples with your orang...no, more like your potatoes. Not remotely the same thing.

The limits on flight are a purely rational, sensible and actually mandated stricture, at least in terms of a time gate. Without that gate people would blow through the content in a week and whine us all to death.

OR...you could declare WoW a public utility and charge taxes on the entire human population of the Earth so development could keep pace.

Yah, that would work. Nothing else would though.
05/09/2018 10:05 AMPosted by Hruwa
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Let me stop you right there. You are mixing your apples with your orang...no, more like your potatoes. Not remotely the same thing.

The limits on flight are a purely rational, sensible and actually mandated stricture, at least in terms of a time gate. Without that gate people would blow through the content in a week and whine us all to death.

OR...you could declare WoW a public utility and charge taxes on the entire human population of the Earth so development could keep pace.

Heh, people blew through the WoD and Legion content in under 2 months and “whined” about having nothing to do on the forums. Restricting flying did not fix that problem for either WoD or Legion. The only thing it did was annoy people and give people reasons to take extended breaks from their subscriptions to go play something else.
05/09/2018 09:49 AMPosted by Iggnatz
I don't have a problem with "no flying". You learn where things are, and you get a better appreciation for the work done on the art assets in the game.

I actually specifically don't gain a greater appreciation for the art assets if I can't fly. The view is too limited and I"m generally focusing on the patch of pixels in front of me so I don't get caught on something barely visible.

I appreciate zone design immeasurably more when I can fly. One of the memories that is strongest for me is flying over BC Nagrand for the first time. It looked and felt wonderful. I actually really love Hellfire from the air too while thinking it is meh from the ground.

But as for lore and immersion, nothing in this game has been more jarring and ridiculous than being on that tower in Shatt during Warlords before we could fly.

You can watch Draenei heading to the end of the tower and soaring away on Fey Dragon mounts. You can mount up on the exact same mount, try to take off and plummet to your death.

For me it encapsulated every facet of just how wrong-headed Blizzard is on this issue.
We ate too much celebrating the defeat of the legion. We have to spend the first 7-9 months doing rigorous faction reputation based workouts to shed the exes pounds.
05/09/2018 10:05 AMPosted by Hruwa

I still finished all world content in a month. They still added artificial time gates on top of it that had nothing to do with slowing consumption of content.
My understanding is the more we play, the more money they make.

Us grinding, or even working on pathfinder(s?) to ultimately enable flying means we spend more, if not a lot more, time in the game; more money for them.
05/09/2018 09:33 AMPosted by Petersteele
Blizzard wanted to cut development costs by creating a fish-bowl game space using invisible walls and cardboard backdrops, but instead of giving that as a reason

But even in WoD when flying was to be scrapped you still had the engineering wings, an actual flying toy, and some other items that allowed people to fly/glide/etc.

So your proposed reason doesn't make a lick of sense. Don't let that stop you now.