Blizz offers jobs to shut down studio-BUT

General Discussion
1 2 3 7 Next
https://twitter.com/BlizzardCareers/status/996130691346718720

So in a pretty noble move Blizz has offered the devs from the shut down studio Bosskey Productions jobs and linked them to their career applications

HOWEVER if you browse through those applications these are entry level jobs that Blizz is asking for 10+ YEARS of experience for

Really Blizz? It's no wonder you have 200+ Openings when you want Veteran devs cleaning the floors. Probably speaks a lot about the state of WoW.
That's not a lot of openings for a company with around 10,000 employees.
This is a bit of an industry trend not specific just to Blizzard. Lots of tech companies want a ton of experience and training for relatively little compensation and low entry positions.
Back when I was job hunting I notice a lot of "entry level programmer with 4+ years of experience" positions.
05/15/2018 10:37 AMPosted by Melhann
HOWEVER if you browse through those applications these are entry level jobs that Blizz is asking for 10+ YEARS of experience for

I looked at the job postings and I didn't not see anything about them being entry level. It looked like they were very specific on what they wanted and what the position was for.
I guess people like OP will always be salty, always feel short-changed, always look for the downside of everything. You must be a blast at parties.

First job I looked at asked for three years and did not appear entry-level but hey, whatever right.
05/15/2018 10:59 AMPosted by Hamstar
I looked at the job postings and I didn't not see anything about them being entry level. It looked like they were very specific on what they wanted and what the position was for.

A reasonable number of the non-senior software engineer ones seem to be anywhere from 2-5 years required depending on the subject matter. Doesn't seem that out of place, though perhaps the OP is referring to a different section's positions.

Yeah. Simply using ctrl + F shows that 72 of them have "senior" in the title. 50 have "manager." Not sure how many unique positions are covered between those two words, but that's a third of them at least.
05/15/2018 10:58 AMPosted by Hamstar
Back when I was job hunting I notice a lot of "entry level programmer with 4+ years of experience" positions.

What they really want are kids who are committed to extracurriculars outside of formal education ie. You did a programming summer camp or a couple of summer internships which would count towards work experience.

Additionally, it’s been said that a standard 4 year degree is worth about 1.5-2 years experience especially upper level courses.

There’s a huge difference in playing a video game and working on a video game professionally and I learned that with a very rude awakening in my undergrad which brought upon a massive change which involved changing majors.

Think of it like an Ivy League School like MIT where tons of kids app but only a real handful of kids whom they feel have the personality for MIT are accepted (because more often than not every applicant has a fantastic resume behind them)

On top of that, you have current work culture where a lot of older folks are changing careers due to a number of factors like companies shafting employees and cutting benefits who are competing with new graduates for jobs. It’s easier for a company to hire someone who already knows the material versus the cost of training a new employee, kind of like how you are real quick to invite that 970 hunter to your m+ key versus maybe a 950ish ilvl player.
Blizzard could have them create the long awaited dance studio.
05/15/2018 10:58 AMPosted by Hamstar

The issue is it seemed like at one point everyone & their brother wanted to be a programmer.

When you have TONS of people in a certain field, they can be picky like this. Why? Because they know they'll find someone. It's why if you choose to go to school for something, make sure you'll be able to get a job out of school or if the competition will be too much

Really Blizz? It's no wonder you have 200+ Openings when you want Veteran devs cleaning the floors. Probably speaks a lot about the state of WoW.

You are correct. I have no idea why the OP would make up a false story about the job requirements per position. Did they even read any of them? Even the Senior positions are mostly set at 5 years XP or less. Each position description gives clear duties, requirements, skills, and experience which all make logical sense. The only ones that would be 10+ years are Executive Producer or Game Director level positions, which makes sense.

Even Blizzard's true entry level positions, internships, are paid positions and Blizzard provides relocation and housing for the summer in addition to the pay. Oh, and they have some New Grad roles too that don't have years of experience listed.

Thankfully anyone actually interested in a job would read the openings, vs read the forums.
That's what most companies do, it's nothing new.

Obviously they'd want to get the best they can for the cheapest possible, that's how you make money.

This is hyperbole.

I opened up the first 50 positions listed at -

https://careers.blizzard.com/en-us/openings

And only found one that needed 10+ years experience - A Lead Software Engineers role. All the roles needing between 6 - 10 years experience were either in managerial roles or senior development.

In fact I went through all the roles listed there that could be considered entry level including the new grad roles. None required anything near 10+ years of experience.
05/15/2018 11:29 AMPosted by Mirasol

You are correct. I have no idea why the OP would make up a false story about the job requirements per position. Did they even read any of them? Even the Senior positions are mostly set at 5 years XP or less. Each position description gives clear duties, requirements, skills, and experience which all make logical sense. The only ones that would be 10+ years are Executive Producer or Game Director level positions, which makes sense.

Even Blizzard's true entry level positions, internships, are paid positions and Blizzard provides relocation and housing for the summer in addition to the pay. Oh, and they have some New Grad roles too that don't have years of experience listed.

Thankfully anyone actually interested in a job would read the openings, vs read the forums.

Hmm, I didn’t read through the listings but that’s neat to hear. Iv read stories that a lot of the time it’s an HR problem where they want to make the job sound fancy and add requirements and descriptions that arnt really applicable despite complaints from the group that has an open slot.
This is not surprising. Most companies run ads that are a little.... off. I read one a few years ago that wasn't even physically possible.

(puts out a little tray of cookies for all to enjoy)

Don't be silly.

They would contract out all cleaning services to a cleaning contractor from the area. It's much more efficient.
05/15/2018 11:37 AMPosted by Shèryl
Hmm, I didn’t read through the listings but that’s neat to hear. Iv read stories that a lot of the time it’s an HR problem where they want to make the job sound fancy and add requirements and descriptions that arnt really applicable despite complaints from the group that has an open slot.

That is not an efficient way to hire people and I have not seen it, but then again I worked in Contracting where we were hiring engineers to meet a very specific skillset. I see mostly the same thing in the Blizzard openings. Most of the exaggeration I saw was on resumes!

The only "hype" or "embellishment" in Blizzard positions is the talk about passion for the games or industry. They mean it though so it is not exaggeration.

I have toured Blizzard, met many people working there, and become friends with some. I have a pretty good idea now what some of the job positions entail and the job opening descriptions seem pretty accurate to me. They are not asking for a rocket scientist to make a common widget. Besides, that would be a waste of recruiting time to hire someone over qualified who would get bored in a heartbeat.

05/15/2018 11:39 AMPosted by Bluspacecow

Don't be silly.

They would contract out all cleaning services to a cleaning contractor from the area. It's much more efficient.

Yes, Custodial services and grounds keeping are contracted out.
05/15/2018 10:48 AMPosted by Trophyscars
This is a bit of an industry trend not specific just to Blizzard. Lots of tech companies want a ton of experience and training for relatively little compensation and low entry positions.

My previous company was pretty open about the fact that they had a "never filled" position for a "junior dev" with the requirements of a senior architect. The hiring strategy was to wait for a dev who was down on their luck or new to the country and desperate for a paycheque. Snap them up, pay them peanuts, and make them so comfortable they don't want to leave. (It was a cushy office, lots of working from home and free food).

It worked remarkably well.
05/15/2018 11:44 AMPosted by Axebreaker
05/15/2018 10:48 AMPosted by Trophyscars

My previous company was pretty open about the fact that they had a "never filled" position for a "junior dev" with the requirements of a senior architect. The hiring strategy was to wait for a dev who was down on their luck or new to the country and desperate for a paycheque. Snap them up, pay them peanuts, and make them so comfortable they don't want to leave. (It was a cushy office, lots of working from home and free food).

It worked remarkably well.

That only works if the job is so unimportant that they can wait around for the low skilled "senior" sucker to take it. Any company that has real work to do and has a timeline to accomplish it by, will pay competitive salaries to get decent qualified people.