Blizz offers jobs to shut down studio-BUT

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 7 Next
05/15/2018 11:47 AMPosted by Mirasol
That only works if the job is so unimportant that they can wait around for the low skilled "senior" sucker to take it. Any company that has real work to do and has a timeline to accomplish it by, will pay competitive salaries to get decent qualified people.

That's why it was 'always open'. They didn't NEED that dev spot filled. The dev team had enough people to do their work and hit their goals. But if they could pick up a senior dev for junior dev pay, they were happy to do it.

They were playing the long con. When I left that company they had three of them.
05/15/2018 10:37 AMPosted by Melhann
HOWEVER if you browse through those applications these are entry level jobs that Blizz is asking for 10+ YEARS of experience for

Show me an "Entry level" listing on our site that is asking for 10+ years experience. That's probably a typo and I'm sure the careers folks will happily fix that if you'd so kindly point out which ones.
05/15/2018 12:20 PMPosted by Ythisens
HOWEVER if you browse through those applications these are entry level jobs that Blizz is asking for 10+ YEARS of experience for

Show me an "Entry level" listing on our site that is asking for 10+ years experience. That's probably a typo and I'm sure the careers folks will happily fix that if you'd so kindly point out which ones.

Is King of Stormwind entry level?

Anduin doesn’t have 10+ years and if his resume says he does, he lied!
An entry level programing job at Blizzard probably still pays decent money, right?
05/15/2018 12:22 PMPosted by Menard

*Dragons need not apply.

Really Blizz? It's no wonder you have 200+ Openings when you want Veteran devs cleaning the floors. Probably speaks a lot about the state of WoW.

The gaming industry is notoriously oversaturated. Blizzard can be incredibly discerning about who they bring in.
Entry level job at Blizzard probably pays more than most people's jobs in this thread. I'll gladly mop your floors for that sort of money.
Can we have one specific example to discuss?
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Do the words "heir to the throne" mean anything to you? Besides, that's nothing. Have you seen the movie: The Court Jester?
05/15/2018 12:46 PMPosted by Cassima
Do the words "heir to the throne" mean anything to you?

THE ALLIANCE IS A LIE
05/15/2018 12:39 PMPosted by Alaeis
Entry level job at Blizzard probably pays more than most people's jobs in this thread. I'll gladly mop your floors for that sort of money.

Video game industry jobs pay less than other software companies almost across the board. They don't need to offer high pay because people want to work there regardless.

Looking at Payscale

Software Engineer
Blizzard: $82k
Amazon: $106k

And Software Engineers are pretty well paid in general.

Show me his birth certificate.
05/15/2018 12:47 PMPosted by Hazzulu
Software Engineer

82k is over 40 thousand more than your average wage. It's nothing to sneeze at.

Video game industry jobs pay less than other software companies almost across the board. They don't need to offer high pay because people want to work there regardless.

Looking at Payscale

Software Engineer

I don't know about Blizz but Amazon chews people up and spits them out leaving them bloodied and bruised.
It depends on the market what the qualifications they are seeking are vs. what is available in the workers that would apply.

For example, when my sister graduated from law school, she couldn't get a job back then because the economy was tanking. She studied for and passed the CA state bar on her own, and yet she still had no luck in finding work as a lawyer.

She finally got hired into a department at a very large tech company, and the department she joined worked with salespeople on drafting customer contracts to customize general templates for specific customers and deals. It was NOT a legal/lawyer position, as they also had the legal department for legal reviews and approval of the final contracts. And it was an entry level position, with no prior experience required, only a four year college degree, preferably in business.

But there were so many unemployed lawyers and new law graduates at the time in the job market, that the company could easily chose to only pick new hires that had a law degree and that had passed the CA bar, NY bar, or another state bar. While the work didn't require a law degree, employing people who had them certainly made for less work by the company's legal department later in the process. Essentially, the company got the benefits of a department full of law grads while paying them a non-lawyer salary.

But that was the breaks due to the market at the time. Simple supply and demand. There was such a glut of unemployed lawyers and new law grads that they could afford to limit their hires to fill non-legal position to people with law degrees even though the job didn't require a law degree or legal experience, and they were not actually doing any formal legal work.
05/15/2018 12:49 PMPosted by Alaeis
Software Engineer

to be fair, 82k in California is like 40k or less in other areas of the nation. Where Blizzard is located , housing/renting is way more expense than it needs to be. You won't be saving too much

Looking at Payscale

Software Engineer

Everything in California is going to be highly competitive. Even if Blizzard doesn't have the mentality that everyone is replaceable it's a common theme that radiates from Silicon Valley. Even if Blizzard is south of it.

Amazon overpays right now because it is not a fun place to work. The salaried positions are worked into the ground. They have warehouse positions here that are paying $3 more than everywhere else. But they work you like dogs. Most people don't last a month.
Blizzard doesnt hire humans for these types of jobs. They hire gnomes.
05/15/2018 12:49 PMPosted by Alaeis
Software Engineer

But Blizzard is requiring 10+ years! Developers with the aptitude to do video game development after 10 years pull closer to $150-175k
Mirasol on pg. 1 said:*
They are not asking for a rocket scientist to make a common widget. Besides, that would be a waste of recruiting time to hire someone over qualified who would get bored in a heartbeat.
And this is why people with actual experience or an education hate HR drones. Who cares if it might be your dream job, some HR jerk thinks you'd get bored because it's too easy. Who cares if you might build something amazing and work for cheap, the HR twit thinks you'll just leave in 6 months. No way it could be worth an hour on the phone just to find out if the applicant is actually excited about the job.

*Maybe if they got rid of the bad HR reps, they might be able to hire someone to fix the forums.