Blizz offers jobs to shut down studio-BUT

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 Next
Need to play the game to understand it. Hiring people with fancy degrees won't make anything better if they just do it for the money. All the writers seem to have left after lich king and it shows big time.
05/16/2018 03:32 AMPosted by Reddrake
05/15/2018 05:17 PMPosted by Ythisens
Cause OP came onto the internet and lied.

I know you probably think you are WOKEAF being openly combative with your customers. You are only getting away with it because the only people playing right now are Blizzard fanboys. When Battle for Azeroth comes out and everyone comes back you had better change your tune.

wowcmfeedback@blizzard.com

What does being woke have anything to do with the thread. From my very limited understanding of the term "woke" it tends to have to do with social justice. I mainly hear it used when talking about racial issues.

Now you don't have to be a Blizzard fanboy to agree with what was said. As a company you just don't let a person or group lie and slander your company. You challenge their statements and point out they are in fact lying. As a person who works and has to deal with customers and employees daily I have called out many people for lying or "bending" the truth. The customer is not always right :<
05/15/2018 10:37 AMPosted by Melhann
these are entry level jobs

Never look a gift horse in the mouth. Even if it is, at least it would give them some security and some level of income while they look for something else.
I just checked and their not asking anything out of the norm. Most of them had 3+ years required and openings with more usually were "senior" lead positions were you would want someone with more experience as they will likely be leading teams or working on their own with little direct supervision.
https://twitter.com/BlizzardCareers/status/996130691346718720

So in a pretty noble move Blizz has offered the devs from the shut down studio Bosskey Productions jobs and linked them to their career applications

HOWEVER if you browse through those applications these are entry level jobs that Blizz is asking for 10+ YEARS of experience for

Really Blizz? It's no wonder you have 200+ Openings when you want Veteran devs cleaning the floors. Probably speaks a lot about the state of WoW.

This is what happens when the market is saturated with qualified people and not enough real jobs to go around.
A degree and 10 years experience is the new High School Diploma of my era.
I only have a diploma and 2 year trade school and within a couple years of graduating in 85 I was doing my own thing making upwards of $150 an hour.
These poor college grads today are lucky if they arent washing dishes and living in tent cities.
05/15/2018 01:23 PMPosted by Mirasol
You read the position descriptions right? The OP was outright lying OR found a typo. Most Blizzard positions don't require 10+ years experience. Yth has asked for anyone to find an entry level or lower level position with that requirement so he can ensure any typos, if they exist, are sent to the Careers team.

No, i didn't. I took someone's word for it on the internet.

05/15/2018 05:17 PMPosted by Ythisens
Cause OP came onto the internet and lied.

*cries in shame*
05/15/2018 01:11 PMPosted by Yukine
Mirasol on pg. 1 said:*
They are not asking for a rocket scientist to make a common widget. Besides, that would be a waste of recruiting time to hire someone over qualified who would get bored in a heartbeat.
And this is why people with actual experience or an education hate HR drones. Who cares if it might be your dream job, some HR jerk thinks you'd get bored because it's too easy. Who cares if you might build something amazing and work for cheap, the HR twit thinks you'll just leave in 6 months. No way it could be worth an hour on the phone just to find out if the applicant is actually excited about the job.

*Maybe if they got rid of the bad HR reps, they might be able to hire someone to fix the forums.

As someone who left HR for IT, most of the time HR just screens, and maybe does some initial interviews if it is a really generic job like a bank teller, but then the manager who submitted the job requisition makes decisions on who he ultimately wants to meet with and hire.
Non IT people usually have this ridiculous notion that an IT person is fluent in every aspect of IT and that is often reflected in job postings. The reality is that IT is one of, if not the biggest fields to date and workers within it quickly specialize. A foundational knowledge/experience of IT across the board, sure, but not an expert of all because there is just too much now to know and master.

Tech companies though will naturally do a better job of asking for what they need because they know these things. Blizzard falls under that category and their job postings reflect that.

To be honest, nobody wants a wet behind the ears noob for a professional job. Hence why people ask for work experience even for entry level positions...no different than tryhard guilds who arent willing to take a new player freshly dinged 110 with no raid experience and gear them up and teach them without some other factor...like being vouched for by a member as a capable person who may be new but will catch on fast and be a high return on investment.

The best advice you can give any high school or college student is work any kind of official job prior to hunting for a career job. Even flipping burgers or cleaning toilets shows work ethic. For IT people, experiment and build your own stuff...even better is join some kind of team where your work can be documented. This all counts as work experience and will greatly boost your odds of getting past the first and arguably hugest life hurdle post graduation...getting that first professional job that can serve as a platform for the rest of your career.

So in a pretty noble move Blizz has offered the devs from the shut down studio Bosskey Productions jobs and linked them to their career applications

HOWEVER if you browse through those applications these are entry level jobs that Blizz is asking for 10+ YEARS of experience for

Really Blizz? It's no wonder you have 200+ Openings when you want Veteran devs cleaning the floors. Probably speaks a lot about the state of WoW.

OP Is lying. If you look at the job opening at blizzard they're all Senior Artist or Senior Programming positions. Not entry level.

05/15/2018 10:48 AMPosted by Trophyscars
This is a bit of an industry trend not specific just to Blizzard. Lots of tech companies want a ton of experience and training for relatively little compensation and low entry positions.

Well not really. For entry level some may want 2 years of experience. But hey, guess what, you're still entry level with that little experience. And most of the time that experience can include your college education.

What happens is companies put their ideal candidate in the job postings, then they choose the best fit out of people they end up interviewing.

There's far too many open positions compared to developers for this type of stuff to be as extreme as people try to make it out to be. Unemployment is super low in the developer field. The problem is people get intimidated by job postings and choose not to apply. My first job was for a Ruby/Rails developer. I had only gone to a full stack JS boot camp and learned a little Python and C# at the time. I applied. And got hired.

What developers do wrong is they don't highlight their non development or IT related experience and education. Guess what, we get it. Coders can code. What ELSE are you bringing to the table? I've been working in the tech industry since 2011 when I got out of the Army. I've looked for a new job 4 times during that time period for various reasons and each time I've had interviews within a week of looking. My resume shows the other stuff I can bring to the team.
https://i.imgur.com/nvrTW6u.png

Made me chuckle
05/16/2018 03:32 AMPosted by Reddrake
I know you probably think you are WOKEAF being openly combative with your customers. You are only getting away with it because the only people playing right now are Blizzard fanboys. When Battle for Azeroth comes out and everyone comes back you had better change your tune.

I'm not being combative at all. I asked for the proof so it could be fixed and OP gave none because they had none. They came onto the internet and told a lie and I called them out on it.

BfA Spoiler: I'll still be like this then too. Everyone is free to post and say what they want but if someone is gonna jump onto the forums and make up something then they'd best be prepared for people to correct them, even a blue.

does this really shock you from a company that fosters a community that wants 950+ ilvl and AOTC for normal raids?
05/16/2018 09:57 AMPosted by Ythisens
I'm not being combative at all. I asked for the proof so it could be fixed and OP gave none because they had none. They came onto the internet and told a lie and I called them out on it.

BfA Spoiler: I'll still be like this then too. Everyone is free to post and say what they want but if someone is gonna jump onto the forums and make up something then they'd best be prepared for people to correct them, even a blue.

In the short time that you have been a community manager you have developed a track record for alienating and humiliating customers by both calling them liars and inferring that they are lying.

To be clear- the fans are the community. You, the employee, are the industry. When I tell my lunchtime hot dog vendor I am the Shah of Iran he thanks me for buying his hot dogs and moves on to the next customer. There is wisdom in doing business like this.

Reminder- All feedback for Blizzard Community Managers should be directed to
05/15/2018 12:27 PMPosted by Hamstar
05/15/2018 12:22 PMPosted by Menard

Is King of Stormwind entry level?

Anduin doesn’t have 10+ years and if his resume says he does, he lied!

*Dragons need not apply.

racist

;)
05/16/2018 10:19 AMPosted by Reddrake
In the short time that you have been a community manager you have developed a track record for alienating and humiliating customers by both calling them liars and inferring that they are lying.

If someone finds it "humiliating" to be called a liar, then maybe they should not lie.
Pretty easy to avoid.

Nobody, including companies, is required to put up with people outright lying and spreading bad info.

Great reminder. We can be sure to tell them how awesome it is that Blizzard does not let lying trolls run rampant on the forums and provide misleading information.

To be clear- the fans are the community. You, the employee, are the industry. When I tell my lunchtime hot dog vendor I am the Shah of Iran he thanks me for buying his hot dogs and moves on to the next customer. There is wisdom in doing business like this.

I plan on writing an email to report to their superiors....

That it is incredibly refreshing to see definitively that someone is literally lying and being called out on it.

I have been in a Customer facing role for over 15 years. The Customer is not always right, and in fact are more often wrong.

They are community managers, not community !@# kissers and receptors of lies and misinformation.

Go to your hotdog vendor with a megaphone and start screaming racist slurs and other clearly offensive things and see if your hotdog vendor just smiles and wishes you a happy day.

Or to be more inline with this, take said megaphone and start saying how the hotdogs are made from murdered infants that were beaten to make the meat more succulent and the ketchup is from their blood and see if the hot dog vendor just smiles and takes it.

The customer is not always right nor should they always be treated as if they were royalty. Customers who expect such treatment are almost guaranteed to be the least deserving of it to boot.
Pretty obvious to tell the OP was lying, they didn't come back to defend themselves after the initial post and swiftly abandoned the thread entirely. Wouldn't really call them a troll because that would be an insult to trolls, I would prefer to label them as "random fibber".

He's a community manager, not a customer service representative. wrong forum.

If you want to be treated as a valued customer, be a good customer. Take note of that it might help you.
The only job I see on the Blizz website that is "entry level" is the exec assistant position and that requires 4 or so years experience (which isn't outlandish if you're going to be assisting an exec at a gigantic company). Most of them look like middle-upper management or senior programmer/dev. Of course you want someone with 10+ years experience in these jobs.

Also, most of these jobs do not need to be urgently filled. Especially senior dev/programmer positions, companies like to wait around until the perfect candidate comes along who is willing to accept a salary offer of peanuts. Basically, a unicorn.