The Bounty System, Thoughts

War Mode and World PvP
So within one of the recent posts on Warmode we got some more information on Bounties and the value of them. Personally this is one of the systems I am most hyped for, I was always a big fan of bounties in games like GTAV and the idea sounds like a ton of fun.

I do personally have some opinions/concerns and ideas on the subject, and while I know that very few details have been discussed yet I kinda wanted to get my two cents on the matter out.

Please keep in mind this is just my personal opinion/feelings/feedback on what I would personally like to see and just my side of discussion :)

Duration/Removal
One of the things that we do not have official confirmation on yet is how long bounties last -or- if there is even a duration to them. Personally, I feel that bounties should last until killed or have a compounding duration that does not tick away while offline or in safe zones. If the former I feel it should be removed upon death and if the latter I feel each death should reduce the duration until drained away (The idea of building up and breaking down, garnering more infamy if you will)

Another thing I was thinking of was the idea of being able to spend gold to remove your bounty with an ever increasing price point akin to how old talent respecs worked. Starting out at something manageable like 200-500g but quickly building up with each reset with the price lowering back down over time so frequent use is discouraged while occasional use in a situation where you really need it gone you can get rid of it. The reason I even bring up the ability to remove bounty with gold is based on my following opinions on the system.

Warmode Toggling
I do not believe that while you have an active bounty that you should be allowed to toggle Warmode off! Until you lose your bounty you should be forced to stay in Warmode. Considering that getting a bounty placed upon you in the first place comes from killing enough players to trigger it, it would seem silly if when you got a bounty you could just go back to town and toggle Warmode off casually then return to your general open world shenanigans knowing that no one can claim your bounty. I think that until the bounty is claimed or cleared in some way, upon receiving a bounty you should be locked into Warmode.

Hearthing/Teleportation/Portals
One of the issues I see with the bounty system is a situation where a player gets a bounty then decides to retreat back to a safe zone immediately. If you are actively out and about killing other players to the point of getting a bounty you should be forced to commit. I believe that for as long as you have a bounty you should be unable to (or at least severely hindered such as massive cast/use times) hearth, use teleportation items that are not quest specific, take player portals, ect. In the event that you are, it should take a large amount of time, such as a hearth stone taking 2 minutes to cast thus making it a risky move.

I do however feel that Flight Points and other fast travel npcs should not be affected thus giving bounty targets a chance to make their way across the map to a Flight master or such and giving opportunity for pursuit.
Flight when unlocked
We know that flying will become a thing eventually in BfA, and I have seen the topics like "No Flying in Warmode!" (which I disagree with). I 100% think that flight should be available in Warmode... unless you have a Bounty. If you have a bounty while in Warmode I am a firm believer in the idea that if you acquire a bounty while in Warmode you should be grounded until your bounty is claimed by another player/duration runs out or it is removed in some other way. Being able to easily take off into the sky in a tense situation, especially in the case of Monks and Druids, is silly and takes away all the risk of having a bounty if retreating is so easy.

Alternatively, if flying is not removed from a bounty target I feel that giving mounts a longer cast time such as 30 seconds as well as giving instant cast mount like abilities cast times would be okay.

Low Level Bounties and Rewards
Finally, Bounties have only really been discussed for high level players with the idea of conquest but I feel that they could have a place in the lower level world as well!

To incentivize killing other players in the open world, I feel that killing a player who has a bounty should reward loot bag (Much like LFD's random loot bags at lower level) that contains a guaranteed piece of gear appropriate to your level/class as well as some gold and bonus XP with a chance of a small honor token, potions, food, and various other possible small rewards.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, while a lower level player has a bounty I feel that for every "X" number of honorable kills attained while maintaining a bounty they should receive a reward loot bag as well as well.

Killing players in the open world should be incentivized at all levels and not just the end game in my opinion and I feel that something along these lines would be a great way to do it.

Final Thoughts
Overall the changes to PvP I feel are fantastic and a great foundation moving forward for even cooler options. Its nice that the game tech has finally arrived at a point where this is even possible in the first place. The bounty system has the potential to possibly be one of my favorite new features and as such I wanted a way to express my personal thoughts, concerns, desires, and ideas.

With that said I am curious on what other members from among the community who are looking forward to Warmode and who are looking forward to the bounty system are hoping for and hopefully some good discussion could be had as well as a place to constructively discuss the topic, I have said my piece and am curious on the rest of the communities view point :)
They should remove our ability to stealth, too.

As a WPVPer, they're not going to force me to commit to anything... If I want out, I'm getting out. I'll log out, or I'll queue for an Arena Skirm.

There's always a way out...
05/10/2018 08:25 PMPosted by Owlcapwn
They should remove our ability to stealth, too.

As a WPVPer, they're not going to force me to commit to anything... If I want out, I'm getting out. I'll log out, or I'll queue for an Arena Skirm.

There's always a way out...

They already stated you are tracked on the map, assuming minimap also, if you have a bounty. Players will know exactly where you are even if they cant see you ;)

You are right that there will always "be a way out" but making it that much harder is whats important in the matter. If you commit to the point of garnering a bounty then you bring it upon yourself at that point.
I don't have an issue with the bounty system, but a person is going to have to earn my bounty. I'll do anything it takes to survive, because that's what I do.

It's going to be a fun system, but they'll never be able to force us to commit to dying. I'm going to gank whoever I want (just like I do now) and get away unscathed (just like I do now.) I do it free of charge.

You actually have some good input - but this system will always be flawed, because some of us know every trick in the book, and we use them, which is why I never die in open world PVP. Blizzard should never try to balance something like this, or hinder a players way of surviving... You can take my hearth, you can take my potions of deepholm - you can't stop me from logging, or the many other ways I can beat the system. I already know ways around every single thing you listed as a hinderance. A great WPVPer never enters the world without a way out.

Forcing us to stay in Warmode isn't really an option either... Is it account wide? What's to stop me from logging out, and playing on my other characters? You're probably thinking to yourself ''why would you do any of this, Owlcapwn? What's the fun in that?.'' I don't like being forced to commit, which is why I've been divorced three times. What if I have to use the bathroom? What if my fourth wife wants to go out to dinner, instead of eating in - and I just got the bounty debuff? I'm supposed to cast a 2 minute hearthstone? Try it, Blizzard.

The Bounty System sounds fun. I'll take part, but no one is going to force me to do anything. I'm one of the nastiest gankers in the game today.

I'll always be one step ahead.
If you leave the continent your bounty is poof. They've already said that in a blue post. So if you hearth etc. Bounty is gone.
05/10/2018 10:17 PMPosted by Smashgutz
If you leave the continent your bounty is poof. They've already said that in a blue post. So if you hearth etc. Bounty is gone.

Where was that said? I have not seen that stated anywhere yet. Aside from a brief mentioning in a much older interview, this is all I have seen officially stated on the Bounty System.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20763436154#post-2
04/30/2018 07:04 PMPosted by Phalanx
Bounty Hunting
How do you earn conquest in World PvP? One source is from killing other players, of course. But the more of the opposing faction you slay, the higher chance they will put a bounty on your head. When a bounty is put on you, it will be announced to all opposing players in the zone and you will appear on the main map for a reward. Good luck!
I'm not sure. It was after the war mode patch this week though. Not sure which post it was in.

Also it's been tested... Just get a bounty and leave the horde island and travel to alliance. It will be gone.
As much as I would love the forced to stick around and fight I am still against it. I personally have limited play time sessions. I wish that wasn't the case but it is what it is. That being said, I don't want my bounty gone by just hearthing or slowly diminishing over time while logged out or doing something else. If I have to log out, go help a friend, get invited to xyz, I should be able to do so and freely leave a zone. Then when it's over, I want to be able to go back out in warmode and continue fighting.

In regards to appearing on the map with a bounty on your head, I would like it to start out only updating your location every 10-15 seconds. Then the time would decrease incrementally upon raising your bounty to where eventually your location is updated live on the map.

Regarding stealth.. rogues should get stealth and be able to stay in stealth with a bounty. A rogue running around out of stealth with a bounty on his head is a joke. Have the "increased stealth detection" potions a thing for warmode. Demon hunters will be able to get them out of stealth along with classes that have a targetable aoe spell like death and decay or flare will be able to drop it on a ping where the rogue is.
I am torn on Rogues and Druids with their stealth. Its a key part of the class and spec, though I could see a stacking debuff as they continue to kill while having a bounty that reduces the defectiveness of their stealth the higher it is/the more kills they acquire while they have a bounty.

EDIT:
05/10/2018 10:47 PMPosted by Smashgutz
I'm not sure. It was after the war mode patch this week though. Not sure which post it was in.

Also it's been tested... Just get a bounty and leave the horde island and travel to alliance. It will be gone.

Huh, that is weird. I didn't find any posts on it but that is strange. I wan't to remain hopeful that its just in early development and not working as intended, much like the loot boxes you get from killing them being empty atm.
There should also be a reward system in place for picking up a bounty as well. Increase the Warmode buff to 20%-25% to incentivize players WANTING the bounty. Since that player has essentially become a war hero for the Horde/Alliance, they should have the perks to go with. REWARD the players for pulling off kickassery.
had a bounty on me earlier. Didn't last too long though, soon enough I had 3 rogues on me and got murked.

The only feedback I have to give is that I'm concerned the conquest point reward is not that large for kills out in the world. Now granted we will have a large population for live so its hard to say, but 5 per kill and 25 per assassin kill seems pretty low. May as well grind out arenas for 180 a win.

am I missing something? is there another source of conquest from world PvP that's not in yet?
05/10/2018 10:17 PMPosted by Smashgutz

Terrible idea. You spend your day ganking lowbies and questers you shouldn't get to run off to PVE mode.
I think you might be going about this the wrong way; you're thinking of ways to stop people from getting rid of the bounty, when it should probably be the goal in the first place. Make it so that when they show up on the map they get MORE conquest for kills. If the player wants to keep the Bounty, and everyone else wants to kill them for it, there will be a lot of chasing going on.

I think turning off Warmode while you have a bounty should be fine as long as you still have it when you turn it back on again. Again, if having a Bounty is a benefit to the player.

For the Stealth thing, maybe a potion or item that reveals stealth within ~20 yards or so? Something that would be generally unlikely to find them until you already know where they are, like from the bounty debuff.

I would also really like Warmode at low levels. Give exp gain for kills and I will level so many alts.
A specifically designed potion that lets you see stealthers would be nice.
A specifically designed potion that makes the core mechanic of a class irrelevant would be nice.

No, it wouldn't be.
05/13/2018 04:13 PMPosted by Salmira
A specifically designed potion that makes the core mechanic of a class irrelevant would be nice.

No, it wouldn't be.

I’m not sure if the core mechanic of rogues is very well tuned for wpvp. If there won’t be some sort of mechanic that helps players spot stealthers then we are probably gona have bounties that are all rogues.
05/14/2018 03:28 AMPosted by Asces
I’m not sure if the core mechanic of rogues is very well tuned for wpvp. If there won’t be some sort of mechanic that helps players spot stealthers then we are probably gona have bounties that are all rogues.

AoEs. Also, you seem to make the common assumption that someone who graduates to assassin is just going to stop playing and go on hiding forever, instead of taking advantage of that sweet 15% damage bonus.
Good feedback.

We're going to make some changes so that the 'Assassin' and 'Bounty Hunted' retain as you go from zone to zone. Our concerns with retaining the buffs is that we can't guarantee players who pursue each other going from zone to zone stay within the same shard (though we're doing some work to try to make that happen). If you happen to leave the outdoor world (i.e. join a dungeon or raid), it will clear the buffs.

Our philosophy here is that you should want the Assassin and Bounty Hunted buffs on you. To remove them is to want to opt-out of the gameplay session, not to circumvent some sort of penalty.
05/17/2018 12:27 PMPosted by Phalanx
Good feedback.

We're going to make some changes so that the 'Assassin' and 'Bounty Hunted' retain as you go from zone to zone. Our concerns with retaining the buffs is that we can't guarantee players who pursue each other going from zone to zone stay within the same shard (though we're doing some work to try to make that happen). If you happen to leave the outdoor world (i.e. join a dungeon or raid), it will clear the buffs.

Our philosophy here is that you should want the Assassin and Bounty Hunted buffs on you. To remove them is to want to opt-out of the gameplay session, not to circumvent some sort of penalty.

That's great to hear -- the new modes are extremely exciting, especially for long-term players who miss the days when WARcraft had WAR in it :)