Are we doomed due to Inflation?

Classic Discussion
Best bet is probably a reduced gold cap.
Well there is a gold limit per character and a character limit per realm.

So the limit per character is the max value of a 32 bit signed integer in copper, which is 2,147,483,647 or 214,748 gold 36 silver and 47 copper. Multiply that by 10 and you get the max you can have on a realm per account which comes out to

2,147,483 gold 64 silver 70 copper

So with that in mind the inflation will eventually hit a cap.

And what's the problem with inflation anyways? The only "problem" that causes is it makes it easier for people to get epic mounts, repair and respec. What's the big deal?
05/10/2018 07:07 AMPosted by Aeonth
they could always wipe servers every 3ish years for a fresh start.. or open new ones i guess

other then this option nothing is a very good choice really

Nooooooo!!!! No server resets. That would be the worst.

Introducing new servers which eventually merge with old servers after a long period of time I'd be ok with. But no server wipes! Don't take away my BiS!
05/10/2018 02:20 PMPosted by Dealloc
05/10/2018 07:07 AMPosted by Aeonth
they could always wipe servers every 3ish years for a fresh start.. or open new ones i guess

other then this option nothing is a very good choice really

Nooooooo!!!! No server resets. That would be the worst.

Introducing new servers which eventually merge with old servers after a long period of time I'd be ok with. But no server wipes! Don't take away my BiS!

I have to agree. I would absolutely hate having stuff deleted after a while. In fact, it flies in the face of why I want to play Classic in the first place.
05/10/2018 02:16 PMPosted by Dealloc
And what's the problem with inflation anyways? The only "problem" that causes is it makes it easier for people to get epic mounts, repair and respec. What's the big deal?
not only do some considerably important parts of the gameplay, such as repair bills, the costs of skills, the costs of epic mounts, and the cost of respeccing become closer and closer to becoming trivialized, but for many people, they may consider most of their gold to be worthless, since they can still pay their repair bills and whatnot without worrying about how much gold they have

in fact, it happened to me on a private vanilla WoW server to the point that I gave away over 400g to my guild's tanks and healers one time because I didn't know what else to do with 600 or so gold since I had my epic mount and didnt want to make a non-bank alt
I didn't actually consider that gold to be worthless though, but if everyone was in that situation, then people would consider most of their gold to be worthless

and what about the new players or the people who don't play very often?
05/10/2018 02:24 PMPosted by Tarregor
05/10/2018 02:16 PMPosted by Dealloc
not only do some considerably important parts of the gameplay, such as repair bills, the costs of skills, the costs of epic mounts, and the cost of respeccing become closer and closer to being trivialized, but for many people, they may consider most of their gold to be worthless, since they can still pay their repair bills

in fact, it happened to me on a private vanilla WoW server to the point that I gave away over 400g to my guild's tanks and healers one time because I didn't know what else to do with 600 or so gold since I had my epic mount and didnt want to make a non-bank alt
I didn't actually consider that gold to be worthless though, but if everyone was in that situation, then people would consider most of their gold to be worthless

and what about the new players or the people who don't play very often?

I don't think gold will ever become trivial. Less significant, but never trivial.

But so will everything else about the game. That's just the nature of how old it will become. I say just let it be.
competition keeps prices low. what stagnates the market is when there's no new players entering the market, who would charge less for the same products.

on project 1999, an everquest emulator, they have people who actively monitor the market. they set a price range for an item, and base it on the average level range of the item, difficulty of getting the item and popularity of the item, and player access to game currency at that level. and if you try to sell for too far below or above that, on a consistent basis, you can actually get in trouble for trying to ruin the economy.

they frown on people trying to corner the market on a popular item, for example. like buying all of an item available because it's selling at a super cheap price, then relisting them as stupidly overpriced items. both the seller and the buyer could be in trouble: 1) for selling too cheap and the other 2) for selling too high. this is not to say they discourage buy low and sell high but rather consistently or in bulk selling/purchasing too low/too high, below/above the average price range they have set. it apparently helps to keep gold sellers from destroying the economy and probably curtails inflation. there will always be a ceiling and basement on the amount of inflation and deflation that can arise.
I've played on private servers which are as old as you are describing. It's not an issue. Also not sure why you're saying Classic has no gold sinks, it probably has the most and best gold sinks out of every expansion. Sure there is no BMAH taking 10m from a goblin, but its consistently taking gold from everyone in a more meaningful way, that 10m means nothing to the goblin, and there isn't enough goblins spending it for it to really help. Spells are expensive, repairs are expensive, materials have actual costs, and most importantly respecs are very expensive.
Worrying about something 5 years from now..... no thanks.
Simplest solution would be to allow transfers off Classic servers to retail from the get go. Hopefully, they will keep their Classic team together and begin working on TBC and LK, which also would cause more transfers of characters and wealth. They need a plan on how to merge servers though, especially, if they are going to go with smaller, vanilla-like realms.

And I hate to say it, but its true, Blizz might as well have a token system for vanilla. There is no amount of policing that will get around the drive for gold buying. At least, you can't accuse them of major design changes to encourage it, ala D3. and that is my main and only concern with the token system.
05/10/2018 04:53 PMPosted by Zamathuul
Simplest solution would be to allow transfers off Classic servers to retail from the get go. Hopefully, they will keep their Classic team together and begin working on TBC and LK, which also would cause more transfers of characters and wealth. They need a plan on how to merge servers though, especially, if they are going to go with smaller, vanilla-like realms.

And I hate to say it, but its true, Blizz might as well have a token system for vanilla. There is no amount of policing that will get around the drive for gold buying. At least, you can't accuse them of major design changes to encourage it, ala D3. and that is my main and only concern with the token system.

tokens should remain on live and bundle classic with live, then let people grind out tokens on live, so that vanilla is not effected directly by the gold grind involved.

and i'm really excited for classic bc. hope they do it.
the only way i can think of to fix this issue is to charge a flat % of the gold a person has for things like flight paths, repairs, respecs and the like.
As long as you don't implement 1.12 features the mount costs being 1K will keep people spending money because they want all the fancy mounts.

If you go with the 1.12 mount system the riding skill is the gold sink while the mounts are cheap.

So logically the original system pre 1.12 is superior because its going to eat up a lot of disposable wealth.

There are a lot of changes that made things less taxing that were patched in over time.... Simply do not use those EZ mode features and whammo, you have a lot more expense and in turn the cost of things stays way more stable.

EZ mode always = inflation.
They did say they will keep the classic servers up regardless if there is 1000s of players of just 10s of players. This sounds like they are not planning to do anything different or special (that involves active development ) other than releasing the classic servers and let it run till end of Blizzard.
As long as i dont have to pay 300 gold for some stupid level 16 green while leveling because of possible transmog desirability, Ill be happy.
05/10/2018 07:17 PMPosted by GildaA9649
As long as you don't implement 1.12 features the mount costs being 1K will keep people spending money because they want all the fancy mounts.

If you go with the 1.12 mount system the riding skill is the gold sink while the mounts are cheap.

So logically the original system pre 1.12 is superior because its going to eat up a lot of disposable wealth.

There are a lot of changes that made things less taxing that were patched in over time.... Simply do not use those EZ mode features and whammo, you have a lot more expense and in turn the cost of things stays way more stable.

EZ mode always = inflation.

1.12 didn't bring mount changes.

1.12.1 did.
05/10/2018 10:43 PMPosted by Nightrom
1.12 didn't bring mount changes.

1.12.1 did.

Truth, but I lump each patch group under its basic header. all the 1.10 is one thing, 1.11 is another, and 1.12 another.. For simplicity since most people *not you my friend* don't bother to actually investigate anything any way.
05/10/2018 05:26 AMPosted by Pärker
You see expansions give the game a reset each time, allowing new and returning players a chance to catch up to the top end in terms of having a good monetary starting point.

Uhhh, they don't.

Reset would mean wiping everyone's money.

What expansions do is inflate the problem even further by giving ridiculous gold rewards so people can 'catch up'.

There will always be inflation in the game due to this. More gold is generated than removed.

That's not an issue with just classic wow, that goes for just about any MMO.

How do players who join us later possibly jump into that when the game will be putting them at a disadvantage?

How does it give them a disadvantage? Everything in the game can be farmed, someone else having X K of gold doesn't stop you from doing that.

I would also imagine that someone who has played SO much they can actually call themselves a millionaire in vanilla would have milked the game for all it is worth and will be VERY rare.

If you are concerned about newbies being unable to buy anything from the AH because the prices inflated, there's two simple solutions to that.

1) Farm the mats yourself. The game isn't going anywhere, even that lovely green robe you can farm yourself. You have plenty of time.
2) At worst you can consider capping prices in AH at say, 10x their vendor price or whatever, but that's something they should have done on retail a long time ago. I don't think the problem will be as bad on vanilla to warrant it.
Wow token nullifies inflation pretty well.
05/11/2018 09:17 AMPosted by Zenjifal
Wow token nullifies inflation pretty well.

ROFL, no it does not.. It changes zero in the economy.

Where do you think that gold comes from? Players farm it with what ever means they use..

Some people may buy the gold tokens and some people may be those that cause their sale, but they gold token is a net zero impact on the economy because of its design.

If you want to prevent inflation, you simply keep the cost of operating your character high as it was early in the game.

You make sure that all vanity items like horses are super expensive like they were in the early game and not how they were after they got nerfed down to cheap by early standards.

As long as you don't nerf the costs on things like mounts, re-sepc, etc.. *like the private servers do* then you will have far less problems in the economy because the cost of doing business is higher. In turn there is less money in the economy.

Another way to reduce money in the economy if there is a problem with that is by increasing the tax on auction sales to a much higher % so that it removes money from the economy permanently.

Regardless of this, The WoW token does not belong in Classic because its a modern feature for a different game.