The 50% Rule: Implement Now!

General Discussion
Prev 1 15 16 17 25 Next
05/21/2018 09:01 AMPosted by Danerexles
05/21/2018 08:55 AMPosted by Shèryl

Wait.... her?

Yea only a very very lonely middle woman who talks about cabbages all the time would post ideas this dumb.

The cabbages were an analogy. I first used it as an example after an incident I had in the Wal Mart related to cabbages that I had to go to the manager about. It was a well received and effective example here.
05/21/2018 09:49 AMPosted by Rastlin
05/21/2018 09:00 AMPosted by Reshyk
... I’m not actually sure if Rastlin is male or female. When I first saw his avatar in the forums I thought it was a female toon so I called her “she.” But then at one point I saw his armory and saw the characteristic hump of a male orc so I swapped to “him.” So that’s what I’m using now and he’s never bothered to correct me on either pronoun and at this point I’m too afraid to ask.

My gender like my wowlogs is private.

It should not matter as my ideas should be evaluated on their merits.
I agree it doesn’t matter. I’m just looking for a pronoun to use. I typically go by the gender of the toon being used to post which is why I’ve recently been using “he” for you.
05/21/2018 09:07 AMPosted by Hazzulu

I'm going to stop you right here bud. This premise is inherently flawed.

What about content that is for a niche audience? Pet Battles, Archaeology, Fishing, stuff like that. You can't 'retune' these enough to make them more enjoyable or compelling for people.

What about content that was designed to target hardcore people? Why do you argue there is something wrong with anything that is a challenge to get? You see soemthing wrong with Mythic Raids? Arena? High level Mythic +?

The argument that everything should be designed strictly for the lowest common denominator is completely untenable.

If you could rarely fish up high end mythic gear, I bet more people would fish. Or if you had other rewards like cool loot chests with mounts or other rare things.

If your pet battles gave you rewards again like the best gear, the best mounts, the best whatevers I bet folks would do more of them.

There are many ways to make content more enjoyable and thus more played.

Playing only for gear confirmed
05/21/2018 09:53 AMPosted by Rastlin
05/21/2018 09:01 AMPosted by Danerexles
Yea only a very very lonely middle woman who talks about cabbages all the time would post ideas this dumb.

The cabbages were an analogy. I first used it as an example after an incident I had in the Wal Mart related to cabbages that I had to go to the manager about. It was a well received and effective example here.

Well received hahahahaha lady you are too funny keep it up
There is nothing that brings tears of joy quicker to my eye than a Rastlin thread. I love ya buddy.

If you could rarely fish up high end mythic gear, I bet more people would fish. Or if you had other rewards like cool loot chests with mounts or other rare things.

If your pet battles gave you rewards again like the best gear, the best mounts, the best whatevers I bet folks would do more of them.

There are many ways to make content more enjoyable and thus more played.

And I note:

The best whatevers suggests that better rewards of all sorts will increase player participation.
05/21/2018 10:17 AMPosted by Rastlin

And I note:

The best whatevers suggests that better rewards of all sorts will increase player participation.

The only way to get the best gear is to do the hardest content why arent you understanding this, I'm so sorry that you arent handed gear for simply logging in

And I note:

The only way to get the best gear is to do the hardest content why arent you understanding this, I'm so sorry that you arent handed gear for simply logging in

Gear that is vendored every few months when the next set comes out?

Who cares if someone can fish up some epic lootz or dig it up with archaeology or have their pets fetch it in a pet battle.
05/21/2018 11:03 AMPosted by Rastlin

Who cares if someone can fish up some epic lootz or dig it up with archaeology or have their pets fetch it in a pet battle.

Lady you are so sad I'm actually starting to feel bad for you please get the help you need. I dont know how you can make it through life thinking you deserve to be rewarded with out actually trying but it dont work like that in anything so please leave that safe space an get some professional help. Best of luck.

It doesn’t make sense as those don’t involve player power progression at all.

The only one that makes any remote sense is archeology which you did used to find trinkets and other items from, but they weren’t cutting edge for raiding or other content.

Because thats bad game design. In an mmo there is a grind vs rng scale to which rewards need to belong too. The harder the grind or RNG chance the better the reward... basically following an effort vs reward system. But this also needs to follow the idea that people will always follow the path of least resistance, so in a way being a game dev also means having to save players from themselves. This is true in any game, where you'll completely throw off the structure of the game where gear rains down from the sky, as in Legion we removed the grind factor in favor of pure RNG. One cannot exist without the other, as the grind path offers BLP and a time played aspect that attracts a different mindset then that of the gambler.

Its all a very fragile balance, and while im sure Ras will say the usual stuff, its important for anyone else reading this to look past the "i want what I want when I want it" and think about the health of the game. Things like professions or long quest/pricy rewards have become void due to the nature of the current gear system. Sure you may find a nice titanforge, but at the cost of actual content that could be added to the game.

Then again the RNG model is cheap and easy to design, so I guess there's that.
Just because content is not able to be completed does not mean it is necessarily broke or needs adjustment. Sure you can have things that function incorrectly and we usually respond to that pretty quickly when its current content and get it fixed.

If we haven't adjusted something like say the Mage Tower by now, that means we think its working fine, which for additional context we do if the previous wasn't clear enough. It's okay to have hard content that you cannot complete. To me the game feels bigger if there are things I've been unable to do yet. If everything was easy and you could get any reward without any sort of effort then there would be almost no desire to play. It's a balancing act of accessible versus hard content but it doesn't mean you cannot still have hard content.

Just because I can't do it doesn't mean it should be adjusted lower, that means I can do better to accomplish that goal. Sure it took me 140+ tries on my first mage tower appearance, but it was fun. Every death is a learning opportunity to figure out what not to do. It's intended for you to die and struggle but its designed so that it can be beat (Spoiler: All PvE content is designed so that you can beat it). With the increase in gearing, the Mage Towers are no longer as challenging as they were but that doesn't mean you get a free pass for a reward. You still have to pay attention to timings and learn how to do them. Mage Tower's are supposed to be difficult and the reward is considered a badge of skill with that spec, just like the Challenge Modes, and just like the original Proving Grounds.

Being bad is the first step to gittin gud, before anyone was gud, they were bad. Not everyone is as equally skilled at the start but everyone can learn to git gud.

Side Note: Your posts are irritating to read because of your random bolding of words. Let's cut that out or we'll start editing them in the future.
Posting in a Rastlin thread!

/wave Rastlin happy belated Sunday

My gender like my wowlogs is private.

Don't go there Rastlin, you know how that's going to end, all that saying that does is bait people into looking
Oh snap the blue mic drop.

That hammer fell a lot harder than I was expecting.
05/21/2018 11:15 AMPosted by Ythisens
Side Note: Your posts are irritating to read because of your random bolding of words. Let's cut that out or we'll start editing them in the future.

Ythisens is now my favorite person.
lol that's humorous. \o/
05/20/2018 04:32 AMPosted by Mazikeene
TLDR: Rastlin again asking for nerfs because he isn't good enough to clear content without them.

Even Ythisens agrees with General Discussion's consensus:

Stop being obnoxious with your alternating bold-print.