Why Lightforged Undead is Bad Writting

Story Forum
05/19/2018 03:47 PMPosted by Vivette
05/19/2018 01:26 PMPosted by Shredow
What else would you call what happens? I don't get why this is "bad writing". The epilogue is insane in general, but the idea of the light being used to rebind a soul to a corpse and preserve said corpse isn't that outside the realms of logic.

It is bad writing in the sense that Golden/Blizzard in those excerpts explicitly pushes forward Calia as a contender for succession of Forsaken leadership. Forsaken, a race who has been defined for over a decade as darker-themed wrapped up in 'pragmatism'. Suddenly 180ing this theme via a Calia succession is not narrative growth, its a structural rebranding of the race.

I mean, yeah, if Calia became leader and the forsaken in general became light forged and Lawful good, then yes, that's bad writing.

Most people seem to be complaining about the logistics of the ressurection itself. Which i think is just silly.

All that being said, I really REALLy doubt Calia comes out of this as THE undead leader. I think it'll still be Sylvanas when all is said and done, and if not her then Lillian.

No idea what they'll do with Calia, but it could go anywhere.
05/19/2018 10:09 PMPosted by Tienzan
Read the lore on the subject, Odyn took out one of his eyes so he can peer into the Shadowlands and learn their secrets. The Light based Valkyr are referred as such in the lore and questing.

I was hoping for an actual source and not a sourceless claim from a wiki.

I looked through what official reading I have and I have found nothing that says Light Val'kyr are undead or anything like Calia.

Light Val'kyr seem to be created the same way as Valajar - a spirit bound to a titanforged construct or they are simply transformed from their body in life into a Light Val'kyr.

Hell, the game even shows us Light Val'kyr being created - no death involved at all, with actual undead Val'kyr in the same room - not raised in the light and not the same as Eyir or Hyrja.

The deal is I could be wrong and that is fine, I just want the official source that contradicts what I am seeing in game. Even the wiki you link shows both Hyrja and Eyir as "humanoid" and not undead.
05/18/2018 07:24 PMPosted by Shudder
05/18/2018 07:14 PMPosted by Hermite
it was made just so she becomes a candidate for forsaken leadership IC... just because she is undead..

She wanted to understand truly what her people feel like. How they live and see life from dead eyes.

So she went and made herself something completely unique and not like any single one of her people.

Makes sense.

It's patronizing. Calia is Forsaken +. All the benefits, none of the downsides, and never had to mess with that whole enslaved by the Lich King thing. Yeah, she'll understand her people way better than Sylvanas.

Correct me if I am wrong but, it was done to her. She was dead and Faol, Anduin, and the wind chime brought her back. Is there a part I missed where she says use the light to bring me back in case I die? I mean if I missed a part where it says they planned this, then my mistake. But I didn't, so folks gotta stop talking like planned this.
Don't worry, the Forgiven allied race comes with another race
The Naarubians
05/18/2018 07:14 PMPosted by Hermite
Because it overrides the true purpose of the Light: Life.
When you harness the power of the light to bring someone back,
you resurrect them, you truly "bring them back".

Just like the spells...

So if it was Light that brought Calia back, she should just be that... She, back... alive... Jesus mode if you want... but alive....

But this "lightforged undead" it's so in the middle of nothing, randomish, and I'm thinking, it was made just so she becomes a candidate for forsaken leadership IC... just because she is undead..

I don't think she will be any more close to Forsaken people just because she was killed and raised... To be Forsaken is just so much more than that, it is to be a fatal victim of an holocaust, become a slave of the holocaust in un-death, then suddenly be left free to fight against it with all the consequences for eternity on the world of the living.

Am I wrong here?

Of course, there is no such place for "facts" in here as it is fantasy... we are discussing writting skills and coherence...

The writting and retconning or the Light is beginning to remind me of bad Anime that try so hard to be "original" and "different" that they story just becomes a puddle of absurdity/mental vomiting, and people who actually care about cohesive storytelling just get turned off by it.
05/20/2018 09:08 AMPosted by Mournne

She wanted to understand truly what her people feel like. How they live and see life from dead eyes.

So she went and made herself something completely unique and not like any single one of her people.

Makes sense.

It's patronizing. Calia is Forsaken +. All the benefits, none of the downsides, and never had to mess with that whole enslaved by the Lich King thing. Yeah, she'll understand her people way better than Sylvanas.

Correct me if I am wrong but, it was done to her. She was dead and Faol, Anduin, and the wind chime brought her back. Is there a part I missed where she says use the light to bring me back in case I die? I mean if I missed a part where it says they planned this, then my mistake. But I didn't, so folks gotta stop talking like planned this.
Faol and Anduin brought her to Netherlight to give her a proper service. It was Saa'ra that told them to bring Calia's body before her.

My personal opinion, based on Velen's vision at the start of the priest campaign, is that the Light itself or Elune or something above the naaru is pulling the strings, and it wants a united Lordaeron for the final confrontation with the Void.
05/20/2018 11:26 AMPosted by Teilvia
Faol and Anduin brought her to Netherlight to give her a proper service. It was Saa'ra that told them to bring Calia's body before her.

My personal opinion, based on Velen's vision at the start of the priest campaign, is that the Light itself or Elune or something above the naaru is pulling the strings, and it wants a united Lordaeron for the final confrontation with the Void.

Thanks for the reply. As to your idea, that is definitely within the realm of possibility. Also,its an interesting plot idea, so of course Blizz likely will not use it.

Makes sense.

So. . . did they get her consent beforehand before turning her into an undead? Wasn't that supposed to be a big thing without which necromancy is evil? Or is that once again a standard that only applies if it's the Horde doing it?
05/20/2018 04:46 PMPosted by Ronstin

So. . . did they get her consent beforehand before turning her into an undead? Wasn't that supposed to be a big thing without which necromancy is evil? Or is that once again a standard that only applies if it's the Horde doing it?

The Naaru says they're going to bring her back as the Light and she herself would have her be...so she apparently wanted to become undead.
05/20/2018 06:52 PMPosted by Mardrigala
05/20/2018 04:46 PMPosted by Ronstin

The Naaru says they're going to bring her back as the Light and she herself would have her be...so she apparently wanted to become undead.

That's AFTER she's dead. And either the naaru or the Light have already been shown to be manipulating her emotionally and/or mentally.
05/18/2018 09:20 PMPosted by Lena
What's the point of making death/necromatic magic it's own thing on the flow chart when literally every other magic type can do necromancy?

necromancy is the act of binding souls to a corpse generally though. or raising zombies etc.

its just wow is funny.
05/18/2018 07:16 PMPosted by Samariyu
We are the Forgiven. We will hug anyone who stands in our way.

05/18/2018 07:24 PMPosted by Xoroth
Bright lady watch over you.

the more i see this meme the more i actually want this