Why there is no RP on this RP server

Blackwater Raiders and Shadow Council
You might have come here because the server is labeled as an "RP" server, but you're also asking yourself "where the heck is all the RP?"

I am Sanstus, the oldest living paladin on Shadow Council/BRW. I will take you back to give you the origins of this place.

Back in October of 2008... It was the end of B.C. Everyone was anticipating Wrath of the Lich King and it was a glorious time. When Orgrimmar and Stormwind was the capital city and everyone stood there just hanging around. People would PvP right outside Org and in Goldshire. Times where we would allow Alliance to come fish in Orgrimmar ponds and vice versa. Nobody would kill the lowbies who would come RP. It was a mutual understanding.

Wrath of the Lich King was launched and everyone speed leveled. They wanted to reach end game content and new dungeons / raids were ready to go. The competition became ruthless and people stepped up their game. Because of this new XPAC, new players joined. People that have never touched WoW before, were suddenly interested. The Thottbot forums were going nuts and you could feel the tension even there.

As the influx of new players happened, Shadow Council was no longer a place where everyone knew everyone. The usual people stuck out, Putrid, Wheezy, etc. But it was clear that the server was growing.

As a result of this growth, the level of mutual respect that both the Alliance and the Horde had was diminishing. Lowbies being killed off whilst questing. Alliance going into Barrens and murdering questing NPC's and vice versa. Alliance RP'ers would try to sneak in but, lvl 80 toons would just slaughter them and we made it a point to do For The Horde at LEAST once a week.

SMC RP'ers and people who would RP at the Filthy Animal in Dalaran, didn't have it easy. Elitist !@#$%^-s would come in and /say endlessly. They would yell and constantly make their lives a living hell. This would happen ALL THE TIME. I have to assume that if it happened whenever I was around constantly, it happened when I logged off as well. Soon everyone just went to Silvermoon City but even there, people would go and ruin their time. Some would even fake RP with the RP'ers and just when you thought they were legitimate RP'ers, they'd say something stupid. So the RP'ers eventually got tired and took of to the Alliance side. Where they, unfortunately, suffered the same fate. There wasn't anywhere they were safe.

This is Shadow Council/BRW - RP server but RP wasn't allowed by the masses. Nobody cared enough to stand up for them or AT LEAST report the abuse.

So here we are today. Shadow Council / BRW is a mislabeled Normal server. RP is dead and wont come back.

-End
Sorry your experience was and is nothing like mine. This server has been hands down the friendliest server in all of WoW to me. Of course, this is the internets, so to be fair.. that is like being the tallest midget! :>

Anyhow, if you are a roleplayer and like to play here, or want to move here, carry on!
05/21/2018 09:01 AMPosted by Paynifier
Sorry your experience was and is nothing like mine. This server has been hands down the friendliest server in all of WoW to me. Of course, this is the internets, so to be fair.. that is like being the tallest midget! :>

Anyhow, if you are a roleplayer and like to play here, or want to move here, carry on!

I dont think you read anything I wrote.
I joined a RP guild during the Legion prepatch and stayed with them for the majority of legion, after moving here from the RPPvP server Emerald Dream during early WoD . I mainly farmed gold and leveled alts in WoD not really socializing with the server until I met <Circle> (the RP guild mentioned earlier) the kindest group of people I have had the privilege of playing with. I can say Alliance RP is active, hand full of guilds, off hand I know Circle, Rising Unity, Fox Highlanders, Ashlanders, and Ravenholdt League are active, I recall Wednesdays used to have a Duskwood patrol. Its not so out in the open, some of it is spontaneous RP and not scheduled events.

I myself have been a little disconnected from the RP scene after I decided to try my hand at raiding and moved a couple alts out of <Circle> and into <Titans Judgment>. I know Alliance is active though, I cant say the same for Horde...I haven't seen a single TRP/XRP/MRP profile on my Horde alts nor have I ever stumbled across it, I hope it revs up soon, especially in BFA im hoping for some juicy story arcs to pop up.

Edit: The Silver Dragoons on Alliance also RP
OH, you from Disjointed! Can you tell my friend Xaniselin/Utta that Vis/Kris says hi? :D
The major problem I've found with RP on this server is that it's stagnant and you have to -fit- within a parameter set down by certain folks. I've been harassed numerous times for my 'storyline' and 'family lines' when they have absolutely NO weight on any other players. It's between me and my husband and our little journey in Azeroth.

But I get messages of 'you're a mary sue' or things like that and while I've learned to ignore them, for someone who IS a writer by profession I can't help but laugh at the harasser.

RP is stifled by those who think they know it all, and can impress that upon others.
I haven't seen much rp on our realm, of course I haven't looked hard horde side, alliance side it seems all guild based and they seem to have a story or so going for them. I mostly join rp groups in lfg.
06/08/2018 09:32 AMPosted by Niabella
The major problem I've found with RP on this server is that it's stagnant and you have to -fit- within a parameter set down by certain folks. I've been harassed numerous times for my 'storyline' and 'family lines' when they have absolutely NO weight on any other players. It's between me and my husband and our little journey in Azeroth.

But I get messages of 'you're a mary sue' or things like that and while I've learned to ignore them, for someone who IS a writer by profession I can't help but laugh at the harasser.

RP is stifled by those who think they know it all, and can impress that upon others.

usually the only thing i see get under peoples skin in RP is godmodding mostly, and claims of being direct descendants to major lore characters, or using OOC to influence IC events. Still havent seen much Horde RP but Alliance is still active, not on the scale of say WRA or MG but pockets of RPers are still around.
06/08/2018 09:32 AMPosted by Niabella

There is a set of RP rules that many guilds/RPers follow: no Mary Sueing, No God Modding, No Lorebending/breaking, and no Meta Gaming. You are free to RP however you want, but when you RP with others that have a different standard than you do, then you have to accept that not everyone is going to agree with how you RP (if you choose to not follow all of the rules).
Let me tell another side of what happened to Shadow Council. From one who was there from the beginning.

I had actually come from Silver Hand when the server opened. Servers were down, my wife and I rolled over here to see what it was like, and fell in love. See, Silver Hand never really had all that much RP. Oxhorn's videos were cool and all, but that wasn't really representative of being in-game. We came here and fell in love with the place. RP everywhere. I've never been great at diving into it, breaking the ice, but there it was, and plentiful and varied enough that even I was able to get into it, at least during that initial influx of people as the server opened. So we rerolled.

We made a few friends. Got into stories. Tried to get to know and interact with the RP community as a whole, outside of our small group. And...that's where things started to fall apart. See, you tout 'known names' and 'everybody knew everybody'. Let me tell you what it was like for an RPer who wasn't on 'the list'.

Basically, it was one huge cold shoulder. That initial openness wouldn't remain long. I would go into the Laughing Zhevra, try to interact, and be met with a stone wall. If I wasn't ignored outright, people would emote glares and blank stares, and in at least a couple instances, outright be told ((I don't know you, go away)). Because that's a healthy way to foster a community built around interaction. If you don't already know someone, don't bother getting to know them. In one case I can think of, a guild's RP event was even shouted down on the forums by the 'known names', specifically because they weren't 'known'.

I found out later that one reason for this, is that the RP community here had a deathly allergy to anyone who did anything other than RP. If you showed up in anything other than greens or twill, 'that guy must be a raider or a PvPer, they don't RP, only grief, don't talk to him'. It sounds like hyperbole, but...that's literally what was being said. One of the 'RP moms' at the time was rather blatant about it. Right up to the point where she joined a raiding guild, anyways.

Another thing that was occurring, much of the RP was going on away from where new faces could participate. Either the remotest patches of Stranglethorn, or more likely, off of the server entirely. Third party sites set up for the RP community, such as it was, so that the RP never has to actually go on in-game. Rarely was it even cross-posted to the realm forums, despite many requests from many more RPers than myself. Could anyone have gone onto the site? Yes, they could have gone onto it, registered, contributed, and been ignored with much more effort than it would take to do in-game. Again, speaking from experience.

People wonder where the RP went. It went to Wyrmrest Accord. It went to Moon Guard (gods help those poor fools, but it's actually a more healthy RP community than ShC was). It went there because you drove it away, and it's still there. Because outside of your 'known names', you didn't actually want an RP community. It went with people who would have loved nothing more than to contribute to this community, who gave it every chance, stuck with it for years, and all they have to show for it is second thoughts any time they think about breaking the ice for RP, because they'll always remember what a dismissive and unwelcoming community you had. You did this to yourselves.
I made this guild horde side for rpers on our realm. There isn't many of us but were open to all.