Please stop saying "work for it."

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 8 Next
"Work for it" is not about saying you must play WoW like a job. Its saying if you want X reward, it requires Y effort. It is the same principle anywhere in life.
It's an RPG.

RPGs have some grindy bits and longer play times

MMOs are nothing like they used to in terms of being work, they really used to be second jobs. Now the only thing left in that category are some of the crazier raiding guilds.
05/23/2018 05:29 PMPosted by Gaurdin
Because if they handed you everything on a silver platter, you wouldn't have any drive to play the game?

You want something, work for it. Makes you enjoy it more.

hey I get everything …."just by playing the game"
Work for it
05/23/2018 05:27 PMPosted by Ninkashi
I totally get people need to put in, "time" or, "skill" for a reward.

The fact that you put skill in brackets shows what little respect you have for players who take the game more seriously than you.

I immediately hold no sympathy for you from that point forward. Tough luck, buttercup.
Satisfaction at overcoming a challenge is part of basically every game in existence. Grinds are just challenges that lean more toward trial by time spent rather than performance.

And at my job I don't get to throw fireballs... usually.
I agree OP.

Evolution of the human brain has produced empathy and the ability to perceive complexity in systems for the advancement of our species.

Not everybody has it.

Some see only Black and White.

Others see Black, multiple shades of gray, White.
Threads like this make me want to use the term being complained about simply out of spite.

I really had to work for it to read this thread. And typing this post? Yeah, I had to work for it.
05/23/2018 06:32 PMPosted by Drbombay
I agree OP.

Evolution of the human brain has produced empathy and the ability to perceive complexity in systems for the advancement of our species.

Not everybody has it.

Actually, people saying you should work for something in a game doesn't mean they don't have empathy, but uh, nice 'point' you have there. You're making yourself look very stupid.
05/23/2018 05:48 PMPosted by Ahhsatan
05/23/2018 05:34 PMPosted by Hearne
I started playing WoW back in 2009 during Wrath. I had to do grinds then, of various sorts, if I wanted whatever the reward was at the end of that grind. I remember doing the Kaluak grind every day to get the special fishing rod. I really wanted that thing and I got it. It took, what, 10 minutes at a time to do if I did it regularly. Not that huge a chunk out of my life.

The thing about this - and many other - games is that you get from it what you are prepared to put into it. It doesn't need to be a grind, and over the years Blizzard has significantly reduced the effort in many areas - making mounts usable across the account, (thank gawd!) and so on. I'm not doing the whole "when I was a kid we lived in a shoebox' type argument so much as I'm saying that Blizzard has done what it can to help out.

The rest is literally up to you. Its, ultimately, a matter of choice.
Well they had a netherdrake mount that took 5-6 dailies a day for like 12 months to get also but never did it because it wasn't really needed,however, now you have something that is a must have at rank 75 times up to 4 specs. And nope I refuse to do it also but it's at 72 but hen you think to yourself just swell now I have 5-6 toons that need it for about 3-4 specs each. So is this acceptable unless it's account bound to every class and spec? nope

Could you translate that into Sense please, my universal translator seems to be broken.
I agree OP..

No, you didn't. That wasn't even close to what the OP said.
You're right, they shouldn't.

What they should be saying is: "Do the goals - get the rewards."

http://www.wowhead.com/flying#us-cenarion-circle-ninkashi

Gotta put in the time OP - you won't get flying by QQing on the forums.

If that doesn't suit you, then this isn't the game for you.
OP clearly thinks work = job.

I think you should learn the various different meaning of the word work. That it can be used for OP. Because it clearly isn't always used when meaning a job,etc. *facepalm*
05/23/2018 06:34 PMPosted by Fallynn
05/23/2018 06:32 PMPosted by Drbombay
I agree OP.

Not everybody has it.

Actually, people saying you should work for something in a game doesn't mean they don't have empathy, but uh, nice 'point' you have there. You're making yourself look very stupid.

Some see only Smart and Stupid.
I agreed with the OP.

Then I explained why people confuse fun with work.
05/23/2018 06:35 PMPosted by Seiryu
I agree OP..

No, you didn't. That wasn't even close to what the OP said.

I agreed with the OP.

Then I explained why people confuse fun with work.
Many humans enjoy the satisfaction of a challenge overcome or a goal achieved. It is difficult to deliver this satisfaction without an element of "work" involved.

If you truly can't tell the difference between the "work" you invest in a hobby vs. the work you might not have chosen but for the paycheck involved, maybe it's time for a new hobby.
As Britney once said...

You want a hot body? You want a Bugatti?
You want a Maserati? You better work.
Garrisons were work....

Questlines and WQs are not. they may be grindy at times, but if the goal is worth it, then i put in the time.

05/23/2018 07:06 PMPosted by Braxtion
As Britney once said...

You want a hot body? You want a Bugatti?
You want a Maserati? You better work.

omg, i was going to post something very similar. i had the same song go through my head when i read the OP.
Sorry but you have to earn the privilege of asking for people to stop saying "work for it". So you clearly haven't "worked for it" enough yet, come back after you grind out a bit more.