Please stop saying "work for it."

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 8 Next
Would “put in effort” work for ya?
><
Just another warcrack forum buzzword op. Used by the 30 year old children who refuse to get out of their parents house, and use the word work instead of play to make them feel better about themselves lol.
I want my heritage armor set. So I’m working for it, which is going to make it so much more gratifying when I reach my goal.
just another thread of people who are actually stable and healthy and likeable enough to work real jobs and make large amounts of real money and actually have a chance to retire maybe or raise a family or own their own home or not be in huge debt, making fun of people who play video games for a release and escape and social experience lol.
05/23/2018 05:37 PMPosted by Drusillia
there are plenty of other games that have more "pay to win" features that allow you to get to the top at the cost of your credit card.

Which in essence truly means that unless you were born into money, you'd have to "work" to pay off those credit cards anyway
05/23/2018 05:27 PMPosted by Ninkashi
I totally get people need to put in, "time" or, "skill" for a reward. But let's not compare our recreational video games to a job, or you kind of defeat the whole point of it.

If the grind is not fun, if it is literally like working, why in the world is that a thing?

Agreed completely!

F is for fun!

A game is not a job. : - )
I totally get people need to put in, "time" or, "skill" for a reward. But let's not compare our recreational video games to a job, or you kind of defeat the whole point of it.

If the grind is not fun, if it is literally like working, why in the world is that a thing?

well, you picked a game genre based upon grinding... if you think it's bad now, you should have been around in vanilla when grinding was the main focus of the game.

in many ways, this game is like a job. you have to put in the time and work towards goals. telling someone to "work for it" is actually a good way to describe it.
I'm sure this has already been said... but I'll say it again...

Honey, if you thinking work is something you do in a game to complete a goal, you don't know what work is and you need to get a job.

Yeah and the people who say that have admitted they get their little kids to do things for them on their accounts like the rep grinds for flight. How is that "working for it" exactly?
The problem is WoW isn't Cookie Clicker. You do need to put effort towards a goal to get a reward. Not all games should give instant gratification let a lone a trophy for just being there. This is and will continue the be the requirement for a lot of MMO games. If this is not what you enjoy, don't play the game. It is not the games job to adjust its self to you.
I'm still in the grind for Tusks of Mannoroth lol.
The key is to make the rewards worth the efforts. In many cases Blizzards rewards vs efforts run hot and cold. I would like it if they evened things out to a more predictable flow.
05/24/2018 10:00 AMPosted by Frostberrie
I'm sure this has already been said... but I'll say it again...

Honey, if you thinking work is something you do in a game to complete a goal, you don't know what work is and you need to get a job.

Pretty much this. Nothing in WoW is work. Sure, there are grinds. Sure, there are times where one might tilt the hell out. You can ask my lady, I've done a lot of tank mage towers, and man oh man did I tilt.

But never did I view it as work. I've worked retail, as well as six years in customer serivce / executive assistant. That? That's work. Especially when you deal with the occasional angry public.

If you look at it like a grind you're never going to be happy. To me the word grind has lost its meaning. The game is not a grind for me, it's some thing I play and stuff happens.

Grind to me is like, "Krumbles go out there had get me 15,000 eyeballs from spiders to prove your worth to me. They have a pretty slow spawn rate and a 5% drop rate, so it's going to take a while." So I wonder off and endlessly kill spiders for 10 and a half hours for 5000 eyeballs in a 30 yard by 30 yard area, that is a grind.
Work for what? Skill, gear and abilities to be removed upon the next expansion? Progression and hence the meaningfulness of developing skill and acquiring power are far too cyclical. You can only run around the circle so many times before you become somewhat cynical. The game needs more permanance and meaningful choices.

It’s a figure of speech. Do not read the word “work” literally, as in a job that pays your bills.

Certain rewards ask that a set of requirements are met. That is all.
05/23/2018 05:29 PMPosted by Gaurdin
Because if they handed you everything on a silver platter, you wouldn't have any drive to play the game?

You want something, work for it. Makes you enjoy it more.
Work for it
Work, work, work, work, work, work
You see me I be farm, farm, farm, farm, farm, farm
You see me do the grind, grind, grind, grind, grind, grind
There's something 'bout that mount, mount, mount, mount, mount, mount
When you a gon' earn, earn, earn, earn, earn, earn
Me na care if me tired, tired, tired, tired, tired, tired

Work work work - Rihanna Lyrics adaptation.

Heard it on the radio while reading this forum. Sorry for the musical joke, BUT sums mostly the MMORPG culture.
05/23/2018 05:29 PMPosted by Gaurdin
Because if they handed you everything on a silver platter, you wouldn't have any drive to play the game?

You want something, work for it. Makes you enjoy it more.

What an odd statement to make about a subscription based game.

You do what you are required to do for the reward. There is zero and I mean zero limits on such a statement as if you work for it you'll enjoy it more.