My DPS

General Discussion
is there a basic addon that ONLY shows my DPS?
Details is TMI. I just want to keep tabs on my own damage.
Skada works for me, it shows you alot of info but you can choose to look at just your own dps if you want.
05/26/2018 09:22 AMPosted by Alrich
Skada works for me, it shows you alot of info but you can choose to look at just your own dps if you want.

cool. I'll check that out.
I like SimpleDPS but it doesnt have any way to only see your own.
I just want to keep an eye on mine without trying to compete with everyone else.
I'm not sure any of them will show only yours, but you can focus on only yours

thing is, it's sometimes helpful to see yours in relation to anothers.

if, for example, I was maging it up in a raid with another mage, and that mage was doing considerably more damage than me (which is likely as I am a pretty terribad mage), then I could look at his spell usage to see what he's doing differently. maybe he keeps a buff up more, or casts X more than I do, etc.
05/26/2018 10:33 AMPosted by Annastasi

Thats what I thought when I started using Details. The problem for me is I get obsessed with watching it second by second and end up losing DPS because Im not playing the game.
I really only would like to see my own so I can compare to data online to see if Im in the ballpark for my class.
Details makes me compete compulsively and its just not keeping me in the right mindest to play the game.
05/26/2018 10:51 AMPosted by Panndalf

Thats what I thought when I started using Details. The problem for me is I get obsessed with watching it second by second and end up losing DPS because Im not playing the game.
I really only would like to see my own so I can compare to data online to see if Im in the ballpark for my class.
Details makes me compete compulsively and its just not keeping me in the right mindest to play the game.

Yeah, it's distracting watching the pretty numbers. I ended up making a macro to toggle the display.

/details toggle

Now I only look at it post-combat.

EDIT: I do find details excessive a bit. I only usually view Damage, Deaths, and Interrupts. The 2/3-way DPS comparisons are nice though.
Why?

Your numbers in a vacuum probably aren't very useful.
05/26/2018 09:19 AMPosted by Panndalf
is there a basic addon that ONLY shows my DPS?
Details is TMI. I just want to keep tabs on my own damage.

Despite what you and others may think. If you do care about your own personal performance, it is important to know what other people are doing.

You shouldn't look at it as competition though, at least not at first if you are still learning your class, gearing up, etc. Instead use these tools to help benchmark what is high DPS versus low DPS. Perhaps you will group with someone in your class / spec ... and perhaps, they did better than you. Instead of feeling disappointed, evaluate what spells they used and how often they used it. Maybe you learn that it's better to cast X ability more than Y.

I hope that makes sense
05/26/2018 10:51 AMPosted by Panndalf

You can do what I do. While I'm in a fight I have it off so I can't see it so its not a distraction and once the fight is done I quickly toggle it on to see how I did compared to others then toggle it back off again.
Skada lets me choose to only see my own. At least it used to, I haven't really checked lately, I usually have the group up when I'm doing group content as I like to compare myself with others and see how I'm doing.
05/26/2018 11:03 AMPosted by Cartis
Despite what you and others may think. If you do care about your own personal performance, it is important to know what other people are doing.

not if they arent exactly the same class and ilvl.
I already know that WW monk will absolutely destroy me on DPS, so theres no reason to bother knowing what they can do.
What i want to know is if MY DPS for MY class at MY level / ilvl is about right. I dont need to know and compete with other players to do that, which is all that knowing their DPS does for me, as I already and very clearly explained.
05/26/2018 12:21 PMPosted by Liari
Skada lets me choose to only see my own. At least it used to, I haven't really checked lately, I usually have the group up when I'm doing group content as I like to compare myself with others and see how I'm doing.
I downloaded and installed it just got to restart the game and see if it can show just mine.
huh..
I think I see why some players dont like Skada over Details.
Seems to make the numbers more steady instead of allowing burst damage to make it seem like the character is doing god damage.