High Elves and Blue Eyes

General Discussion
Plenty of people know they have more than blue.

But plenty of other people want to turn it into their favorite straw man.
06/06/2018 04:07 PMPosted by Arawn
Did people forget that High Elves have normal eye colors? A quote from the WoWpedia

Was the lore changed at some point or did people forget because we see so many blue eyed High Elves ingame?

No, that's still the latest canon, as of Chronicles. It's just not well-represented among the NPCs, with the females having only blue, aqua, and violet. Male High Elf NPCs apparently didn't even rate their own unique eye textures, they have the same eye glow as Blood Elves, the underlying texture is just hue-shifted.

Thank you for a proper post, too many trolls on the forums that don't even bother to read and just spam threads, I wonder if we should be reporting those posts for spamming?

I would love to see more variety in High Elf NPCs ingame to properly represent them. I'm going to hope they do the same with Blood Elves now that the Sunwell has started to finally change them.
I love how high elf threads are handled by community these days. Good times
06/06/2018 10:27 PMPosted by Ðamien
another one. again, can a gm delete this thread? a gm has stated that all posts about helves need to be put into the helf mega thread. thanks.

I really don't think they will bother deleting a thread like this. You can't expect anyone outside the people who live on the forums to see a random blue post for things like that.

I was never even really inviting anyone to talk about High Elves much other than why they think their eyes are only blue. If not for the anti spammers the thread would have already died, I just wanted a post like Lumineus explaining her theory / facts for me.

If you guys hate High Elf threads so much quit spamming them and they will die pretty quickly most of the time.
06/06/2018 10:22 PMPosted by Falturin
06/06/2018 10:03 PMPosted by Raydann

lol High Elves is not a faction. Neither is Blood Elves.

Blood Elves are High Elves. Kael'thas started calling them Blood Elves to honour those who died during the Scourge invasion. It's just a name. Lor'themar, Alleria, Vereesa, Sylvanas are all High Elves (the latter is a banshee now).

All Blood Elves are essentially Quel'dorei of Quel'thalas.

Yes, it's just a name. Very similar to how the Nightborne are Night Elves. It's just a name.

Are you high? Nightborne are not Night Elves. At least not anymore.

All Elves originated from Night Elves who in turn came from Dark Trolls.

Suramar was a Kal'dorei (Night Elves) city. In it was a noble sect called the Highborne which literally meant "Children of the Noble Birth." They also called themselves the Quel'dorei. This was a group of upper class Night Elves, many of whom were followers of Queen Azshara.

Queen Azshara and her friends LOVED arcane magic. It was like crack to them. They couldn't get enough. Many Night Elves (Tyrande, Malfurion) saw this as dangerous and were against it. When Queen Azshara started inviting her demon friends into Suramar, Tyrande and her followers abandoned Suramar. Illidan was captured by Malfurion and imprisoned.

NIGHT ELVES: Tyrande and her followers migrated to Mount Hyjal. They adopted druidism and were against the practice of Arcane magic. These are the Night Elves in current WoW.

HIGH ELVES/ BLOOD ELVES: Some of the Mount Hyjal settlers (like Dath'Remar Sunstrider, the first King of Quel'thalas and the ancestor of Anasterian Sunstrider and Kael'thas Sunstrider) wanted to continue practicing Arcane magic. They were exiled from Mount Hyjal and later ended up in the Eastern Kingdom establishing Quel'thalas. They were called the High Elves or Quel'dorei. They evolved over the years because of the Sunwell and the geographical location.

NIGHTBORNE: The Night Elves who were left behind in Suramar survived thanks to Elisande. She shielded he city from the Great Sundering using the Eye of Aman'thul. The shield sealed off the city and those in it from the rest of the world. She then used the Eye of Aman'thul to create the Nightwell so her people could survive. The Nightwell transformed Elisande and the Night Elves of Suramar into Nightborne.

"Their reliance on the Nightwell's energies gradually transformed Elisande, as well as those within Suramar, into a new race now altogether distinct from their night elven heritage: the Nightborne."

So there you have it. The Nightborne are not Night Elves with a different name.
06/06/2018 11:34 PMPosted by Raydann

Yes, it's just a name. Very similar to how the Nightborne are Night Elves. It's just a name.

Suramar was a Kal'dorei (Night Elves) city. In it was a noble sect called the Highborne which literally meant "Children of the Noble Birth." They also called themselves the Quel'dorei. This was a group of upper class Night Elves, many of whom were followers of Queen Azshara.

Queen Azshara and her friends LOVED arcane magic. It was like crack to them. They couldn't get enough. Many Night Elves (Tyrande, Malfurion) saw this as dangerous and were against it. When Queen Azshara started inviting her demon friends into Suramar, Tyrande and her followers abandoned Suramar. Illidan was captured by Malfurion and imprisoned.

NIGHT ELVES: Tyrande and her followers migrated to Mount Hyjal. They adopted druidism and were against the practice of Arcane magic. These are the Night Elves in current WoW.

HIGH ELVES/ BLOOD ELVES: Some of the Mount Hyjal settlers (like Dath'Remar Sunstrider, the first King of Quel'thalas and the ancestor of Anasterian Sunstrider and Kael'thas Sunstrider) wanted to continue practicing Arcane magic. They were exiled from Mount Hyjal and later ended up in the Eastern Kingdom establishing Quel'thalas. They were called the High Elves or Quel'dorei. They evolved over the years because of the Sunwell and the geographical location.

NIGHTBORNE: The Night Elves who were left behind in Suramar survived thanks to Elisande. She shielded he city from the Great Sundering using the Eye of Aman'thul. The shield sealed off the city and those in it from the rest of the world. She then used the Eye of Aman'thul to create the Nightwell so her people could survive. The Nightwell transformed Elisande and the Night Elves of Suramar into Nightborne.

"Their reliance on the Nightwell's energies gradually transformed Elisande, as well as those within Suramar, into a new race now altogether distinct from their night elven heritage: the Nightborne."

You ... I like you. You speak truth.

But alas, it is sad that some very few notable high elf supporters will still hold their ears and deny it and... still use the nightborne=night elf logic.
I am a blonde, blue-eyed high elf.
06/06/2018 10:49 PMPosted by Arawn
06/06/2018 10:27 PMPosted by Ðamien
another one. again, can a gm delete this thread? a gm has stated that all posts about helves need to be put into the helf mega thread. thanks.

I really don't think they will bother deleting a thread like this. You can't expect anyone outside the people who live on the forums to see a random blue post for things like that.

I was never even really inviting anyone to talk about High Elves much other than why they think their eyes are only blue. If not for the anti spammers the thread would have already died, I just wanted a post like Lumineus explaining her theory / facts for me.

If you guys hate High Elf threads so much quit spamming them and they will die pretty quickly most of the time.

i was stating what gm's have said is the way helf threads are to be done. hence why general discussion has been kept clean from the trolling and spam. i dont care how you feel otherwise. and yes, it will be deleted but im sure a gm will gladly expand the mega thread if it needs to be.

i expect a gm to look into it all and act accordingly :).
I summon my Blue-Eyes White Elf in Attack Mode!
Not so fast, Kaiba!

So trolls/their descendants are magical sponges, that's a good point. Dark Trolls sucked in a whole lotta arcane from the Well of Eternity, which turned them into Kal'dorei. The modern groups of elves all consume magic energies from different sources. Enough magical energy can morph an troll/elf into a completely different species.

Night Elves have moonwells and druidic magic. Blood Elves have the Sunwell with its light/arcane/fel magic. The Nightborne have their Nightwell with its arcane magic. The Void Elves have their void with its void magic.

The group of elves that self-identify as High Elves and have never identified as Blood Elves (regardless of what others think they are) don't have any such consistent sources of magic to fuel their people. Is that not enough for them to be considered a whole new race?

I understand they've only been cut off from the Sunwell for about a decade, but take a look at the Felblood Elves. The Felblood Elves were transformed on a biological level after a few days or so of binging on demon blood. It's not that much of a stretch to think that a decade or so of being withdrawn from a huge fountain of arcane energy can be enough to change the group of elves that self-identify as High Elves and have never identified as Blood Elves (regardless of what others think they are) into a whole new species of their own with different physical characteristics.
3rd echo chamber of the day....seriously why?
06/07/2018 01:54 AMPosted by Falturin

So trolls/their descendants are magical sponges, that's a good point. Dark Trolls sucked in a whole lotta arcane from the Well of Eternity, which turned them into Kal'dorei. The modern groups of elves all consume magic energies from different sources. Enough magical energy can morph an troll/elf into a completely different species.

Night Elves have moonwells and druidic magic. Blood Elves have the Sunwell with its light/arcane/fel magic. The Nightborne have their Nightwell with its arcane magic. The Void Elves have their void with its void magic.

The group of elves that self-identify as High Elves and have never identified as Blood Elves (regardless of what others think they are) don't have any such consistent sources of magic to fuel their people. Is that not enough for them to be considered a whole new race?

I understand they've only been cut off from the Sunwell for about a decade, but take a look at the Felblood Elves. The Felblood Elves were transformed on a biological level after a few days or so of binging on demon blood. It's not that much of a stretch to think that a decade or so of being withdrawn from a huge fountain of arcane energy can be enough to change the group of elves that self-identify as High Elves and have never identified as Blood Elves (regardless of what others think they are) into a whole new species of their own with different physical characteristics.

That's it though. They're not a whole new race. The High Elves, like Vareesa, who don't rely on the Sunwell anymore are still biologically and physiologically the same as Blood Elves, because Blood Elves are High Elves. They're all High Elves.

It's kind of like saying the Highborne of Suramar were not Night Elves because they were obsessed with the Well of Eternity instead of druidism. See how that doesn't make sense? They were all Night Elves.

The Blood Elves (High Elves) and the Nightborne both went through distinct transformations over the past 10,000 years thanks to the Sunwell and the Nightwell. They are not Night Elves anymore and it's pretty apparent.
06/07/2018 02:32 AMPosted by Raydann
06/07/2018 01:54 AMPosted by Falturin

That's it though. They're not a whole new race. The High Elves, like Vareesa, who don't rely on the Sunwell anymore are still biologically and physiologically the same as Blood Elves, because Blood Elves are High Elves. They're all High Elves.

It's kind of like saying the Highborne of Suramar were not Night Elves because they were obsessed with the Well of Eternity instead of druidism. See how that doesn't make sense? They were all Night Elves.

The Blood Elves (High Elves) and the Nightborne both went through distinct transformations over the past 10,000 years thanks to the Sunwell and the Nightwell. They are not Night Elves anymore and it's pretty apparent.

This is a fantasy game. It doesn't necessarily require thousands of years for evolution/adaptation to occur. Who are you to say that it's impossible for a decade's worth of withdrawal from the Sunwell to bring about physical changes for the Thalassian Elves who split off from their brethren in Quel'thalas?
I consider the Highborn their own race at this point. They are still pretty simular to Night Elves in many ways but at the same time seem to have some major biological differences. What I'm really interested in is the future evolution of High Elves and more importantly Blood Elves.

I don't see the High Elves (not the ones that are breeding with Humans) changing too much other than culture that would affect them a little. Maybe they would lose the eye glow or something over time.

Blood Elves though... I want to see what happens over time with the Sunwell. They are already starting to get gold eyes, I wonder if they will all be considered a version of 'Light forge' over time.

I really hope Blizzard gives us some Lore about what would happen to the Blood Elves over time unless it's just Gold eyes?
It ultimately doesn't matter. Eye color is still the only defined physical difference regardless.
06/07/2018 11:32 AMPosted by Reimora
It ultimately doesn't matter. Eye color is still the only defined physical difference regardless.

The only defined physical difference seen in the in-game models. We want to change that.
The best thing would be to allow Blood Elves to change their eye colour to blue, which was what it was before the Sunwell was destroyed. Now that the Sunwell has been purified and consists of both Light and Arcane, it would make perfect sense for Blood Elves to have blue eyes again.

It will also put an end to awful threads like these.
They just removed Blue Eyes from Blood Elf NPC options and made High Elves their own thing in the data files, so that's already been decide.
Here’s what they need to do. Valeera dies. The remaining high elves become void elves. Blood elves get blue eyes. Give void elves more customizations. Maybe a tad bit lighter skin tone but keep the purple hue as indication for them touching the void.

Now I know some specific people will cry and say “nooo..” but hush. This needs to happen. So this stupid high elf crap can end. And maybe people won’t think general forums is just a “we got an answer but we still won’t listen.. high elves now!” Forum.