BFA access key bias

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 7 Next
While reading about beta, I've seen some people claim "I've been in betas since expac X!" (some say as old as TBC).

And I think: Why this person is special and I'm not?
05/28/2018 06:58 PMPosted by Mursh
Want to explain how streamers are giving out something that does not
even exist? There is no "keys" for this alpha / beta, or the one before
for WoD. The access is tied directly to your account. You cant give it away.
Unless of course, they have something special that isnt automatically
conected to their account.

This is entirely untrue.
How do you think wowhead gives away beta invites? do you think they're scamming people?
Beta is not early access
05/28/2018 04:39 PMPosted by Saltyaz
You are giving players an unfair advantage by allowing some to prepare for BFA and others not.
Huh? The 'advantage' only really applies to the top 100 raiders in the world. The other ~5 million players will be just fine.

I also prepaid for BFA

I'm a 11/11M player
Neither is relevant to getting beta access.

Yet I turn on Twitch and I see streamers giving them away as prizes.
It's called Marketing. It not only generates buzz around the expansion but it generates future revenue for Blizzard. Not a perfect system, but hey...

05/28/2018 05:08 PMPosted by Feronar
from what I hear there are a lot of other factors that come into play, such as end-game activity and community activity.
That's probably true in some cases. A lot of prominent theorycrafters get access for example, as it helps Blizz with tuning. Same thing where they'll invite a lot of the top Mythic raiders in order to test Mythic raids. It makes perfect sense to somewhat target your testers to a degree, while also giving access to 'random Joe Citizen'.
05/28/2018 05:16 PMPosted by Bertheigh
beta is for testing and finding bugs. They only do raid testing for short periods of time and then lock the instance again.

right now beta has a ton of bugs you can not even exit the game you have to force close the game to exit.

also a lot of players are not going to be happy that they took out true full screen mode and replaced it with windowed full screen.

Whoa whoa what? When the hell did that happen?
Took me 10 yrs to get a beta, mostly what I do is quest and submit bug reports.
05/28/2018 07:27 PMPosted by Saltyaz
05/28/2018 06:46 PMPosted by Vandren
Why would Blizzard care what is fair or not?

Because the gaming world choice for players is competitive .... they should care.

For MMOs? Not bloody likely.
05/28/2018 09:07 PMPosted by Enntou
beta is for testing and finding bugs. They only do raid testing for short periods of time and then lock the instance again.

right now beta has a ton of bugs you can not even exit the game you have to force close the game to exit.

also a lot of players are not going to be happy that they took out true full screen mode and replaced it with windowed full screen.

They didn't, I experienced it, the setting defaulted to windowed mode, all I had to do was go swap the setting back to full screen.

Disclaimer: Unless the latest build changed things. I haven't been able to play for the last week or so, life got busy.
05/28/2018 06:58 PMPosted by Mursh
Want to explain how streamers are giving out something that does not
even exist? There is no "keys" for this alpha / beta, or the one before
for WoD. The access is tied directly to your account. You cant give it away.
Unless of course, they have something special that isnt automatically
conected to their account.

Yes. Streamers and fansites get given banks of game keys that directly add the beta license onto one's account. It's the same mechanism used for those trial cards you see included with games as well as items from the TCG and prepaid game time.

They are NOT emailed directly to players and given only to streamers and/or fan sites for the express purpose of giving out in competitions.
Streamers give Blizzard free advertising, in return they give them beta keys to hand out to give the streamers advertising plus more free advertising for the game. Blizzard is a business and if they want to keep the game afloat, marketing is a thing.

Everything will be datamined, don't worry, you won't miss out on anything that you will need to know. You'll be able to play BfA soon, hold your horses, OP.
05/28/2018 07:40 PMPosted by Saltyaz
No . it's learning\testing the class changes and being prepared for the quest lines once the expansion starts ... it's usually a bit of a race at the start of the expansion to get ready for the first raid ... those more ready will understand their class better, level quicker and be ready for the first raid quicker ...

PTR opens up about a month before Beta so you'll have plenty of time to do your preparation then.,
05/28/2018 07:40 PMPosted by Saltyaz
No . it's learning\testing the class changes and being prepared for the quest lines once the expansion starts ... it's usually a bit of a race at the start of the expansion to get ready for the first raid ... those more ready will understand their class better, level quicker and be ready for the first raid quicker ...

PTR opens up about a month before Beta so you'll have plenty of time to do your preparation then.

Actually it's better for you to jump in during the PTR - Currently in Beta things change week to week , often drastically so. By the time it gets to the PTR things will be much more settled and pretty much finalised.
I've played this game on two accounts since 2005 and never had a single WoW beta invite. Join the club friendo.

They didn't, I experienced it, the setting defaulted to windowed mode, all I had to do was go swap the setting back to full screen.

Disclaimer: Unless the latest build changed things. I haven't been able to play for the last week or so, life got busy.

In beta there are 2 settings

windowed mode
full screen <--------- this is windowed full screen because of DX12

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20765106340
I got beta access and I am not a famous YouTube, or Twitch personality. It’s pretty typical for me to get in to their betas.. I actually report bugs though and submit concerns, I actually TEST the game in various ways. Technically that is what betas are for. Yes it can give you a peak at what MIGHT happen.. but much is subject to change. I don’t think it would do you much good seeing your reasons. Because you might find things reworked and not the same on release day.

They have no obligation to give you anything.. If they give keys to streamers and such that is to their own discretion. You pay for access to live and ptr and that is all. If you have issue with that then that’s too bad.
Yet I turn on Twitch and I see streamers giving them away as prizes.

Seems like you provided the solution to your own problem. Give blizzards game free advertisement to thousands of people and you can get a key, and then some to give to those who like your advertisement.

Edit: This isn't "unfair treatment" this is literally business. If you can provide some way for someone to advertise your product for free, over someone who wont, who are you going to choose? The answer is very simple.
I've been playing since 3.3 and apart from the MoP beta in which everyone was invited, this is my first time doing the beta. There is nothing bias here. RNG is RNG.
"I didn't get in, it must be bias"

Also those streamers that get free keys - its Free advertising for Blizzard or whatever game they got.
05/28/2018 05:11 PMPosted by Huggablysoft
So you don't want to test the content and provide feedback, you just want a head start on your precious mythic raiding.

You don't deserve beta access.

This a great point. I second what you have said.

Players who often report bugs - assist on forums - and contact Blizzard are the ones who should be provided keys. Most Mythic raiders are pig headed and don't care about anything but being the best geared person hahaha.

Beta is about experiencing gameplay... Providing feedback and reporting glitches/bugs etc.
There is obvious bias for streamers and you-tubers yes

Heck even for players with crap pcs:)
I have been patiently waiting for a BFA access key without success (yes I have setup the request on the account over a year ago). I also prepaid for BFA as soon as it came available. I've contacted support who say it's randomly given out but it's really not. Support said create a post on the forums, so here it is. I'm a 11/11M player wanting to prepare for BFA and I simply cannot get an access key. Yet I turn on Twitch and I see streamers giving them away as prizes. This is not a level playing field Blizzard. If you are going to provide access to Beta you must make it available for all players. You are giving players an unfair advantage by allowing some to prepare for BFA and others not.

This is going to sound snide, but your justification for why you should have access to Beta is part of the reason Blizzard shouldn't give it to you.

11/11M: You are not in a bleeding edge progression guild and are therefor a general population player regardless of your raid progress. You also do not mention any other aspect of the game you find particularly enjoyable. You fall into the same pool that everyone else does.

Streamers: Streamers provide marketing and business benefits to Blizzard, even when the feedback is negative. Handing out random Beta invite keys helps with that endeavor. Your statement conveys none of that understanding or nuance.

Unfair advantage: Any advantages, and I'll grant there are some, that Beta players receive are incidental to their participation in global testing and feedback. You do not mention the number of bug reports you've submitted, the detailed suggestions you've submitted for how play could be improved, but you state you need to "prepare for BFA" as if the majority of the playerbase is able to do something you are not able to.

Your displayed lack of understanding about what the Beta is, vice what you think it should be, shows that Blizzard is probably right about not sending you a Beta invite.

In short, you do not identify any way that your participation in the Beta would help Blizzard or the game, but you make lots of "for me" statements.