One of Each Class?

General Discussion
I currently have a lot of toons on two different servers (one for Horde and one for Alliance).

I can’t play them all, and they sit at various levels, many in the level 60 range. I’m trying to think of a way to rationalize my characters.

Do you think it makes sense to have one character of each class across factions (12 toons total)? Or, one character of each class for each faction (24 toons total)?

I wouldn’t even try to play 12 characters in any one expansion, much less 24. But, I wonder if there is some point to having them on the bench, so to speak.

I ask now because I’m trying to decide whether to race change one character across factions, or to level a new one.

Thanks!
I have one of each class on horde. My last class is pally sitting at 103. I just prefer variety. I learn most play styles which helps me adapt quickly as need be.

To each their own. Just because you like lvling doesn't mean you're a lesser player. As long as you have fun, just ignore any haters.
Love Rocket. Characters that are near max level can participate and maybe win things from the holiday events. With a 2-3 in 10,000 chance to win one, it only makes sense to maximize the odds. Thats my excuse anyway.
I have over 10 accounts and well over 60 toons at max level so yea.... I have one of each class BUT I still have never made a gnome to full level yet and only recently made a feral druid.
I have 110s of every class horde side.

Its nice to be able to jump in to LFR on any class but you can't seriously play each class to max potential.

The flexibility in playing is great but 24 toons just to have one of each class may burn you out. I am not looking forward to leveling my 12 toons to 120.

Keep in mind that I have had 1 of each class pretty much since Lich king and I just finally got them all to max this xpac. It took me a long while to level the classes that I did not exactly like.

To directly answer your question, I do not think it makes since to have 24 toons to have one of each class on each faction. I would let that happen naturally as you would normally make alts. 12 on a server is plenty and even 12 is getting close to madness. Hope that helps.
06/12/2018 01:49 PMPosted by Butterflyes
Love Rocket. Characters that are near max level can participate and maybe win things from the holiday events. With a 2-3 in 10,000 chance to win one, it only makes sense to maximize the odds. Thats my excuse anyway.

I did the halloween event 12 times every day and did not get the mount :(
I used to have one of each, but I was running out of room, and I only like druids and priests anyway.

I only have a rogue for unlocking boxes. I use my boost on them.
Your aiming big, I have one of each class with the exception of mage, and I even how two hunters/paladins/warriors. Honestly I only ever touch three, mostly for pvp and raiding normal antorus.
06/12/2018 01:49 PMPosted by Butterflyes

I think I would rather chop off my finger than play with those odds. : /
06/12/2018 02:00 PMPosted by Mooya
The flexibility in playing is great but 24 toons just to have one of each class may burn you out. I am not looking forward to leveling my 12 toons to 120.

This is how I am. I have one of each class on horde side and a 110 alliance character I used the expansion boost on. One of each class gives you all the flexibility you need and at least one max character on each side gives you the ability to see both stories. Other than that, you're likely to burn yourself out unless you truly wish to dedicate the time.

If you're main driver of joy from this game is alts and leveling, go ahead! If not, it'll likely bog you down.
Just 12 total will do

U can then experience each class
The faction doesnt really matter
I have multiples of some classes and was considering deleting them. I may still due to not having time to play them all, but I came up with another idea for now.

I'm tired of having to have multiple sets of gear and weapons for each spec if I switch back and forth during play. So from now on each toon sticks to ONE spec for the whole expansion. So my duplicates will be a different spec to keep them interesting to play and not be just the same old same old.
I have ten different classes at 110 so far -- only missing Priest and Paladin now (my priest is still in his 20s and bugger if I'd ever play a paladin. Never much cared for that class in any game that's had them.)

I cycle through them pretty regularly, though casually. I raid (or used to) on 2-3 of them -- the others I use for farming mog gear and general questing.

I like variety :)
Great, thanks for all the replies! I realize that I likely will be happier focusing on fewer characters rather than getting distracted by the untouched toons I have!

Is there a benefit to having all characters (both Horde and Alliance) on one server? Or, would having 6 Alliance characters on one server and 6 Horde characters on another server work just as well? I won't be restricted by the 16 toon limit per server anymore, so does it make sense to consolidate them?

Thanks again!
You can have 50 toons on your account, in theory you could have 2 of each class and faction with two slots to spare!

Honestly I wouldn’t worry to much about alts you’re not interested in. The max is so high anyway. Just don’t delete them incase you suddenly get the urge to play them. I’m still restoring deleted toons every two weeks. >.<
06/12/2018 01:33 PMPosted by Tatyanna
Do you think it makes sense to have one character of each class across factions (12 toons total)? Or, one character of each class for each faction (24 toons total)?

It certainly makes sense to me. I had 1 level 100 of each class by the end of WoD. I have 2 level 110s of each class now (but not all 12 in each faction). By the end of BFA, I hope to have 3 max-level in each class, including 1 in each faction. I will also have 1 max-level of every allied race.

I would say "every race", but I simply dislike playing undead, orcs and trolls. I have tried several times, but never got past level 40 in those 3 races.

Everybody is different. Some raid, some pvp. I level up alts.
I have at least 2 of every class at max level, with at least one of those two sitting at the current normal mode raid ilvl for most of the expansion. It allows me to play the flavor of the month a lot.
06/12/2018 02:48 PMPosted by Tatyanna
Is there a benefit to having all characters (both Horde and Alliance) on one server? Or, would having 6 Alliance characters on one server and 6 Horde characters on another server work just as well?

There is no longer any good reason to have your Horde and Alliance on the same server. They can't mail each other or transfer things. In the past there were 2 auction houses on each server, with different prices, amounts of mats available, etc. But no more.

Once Blizzard made realm transfers free (using gamegold / tokens) I moved all my Horde toons to different servers.
On the Alliance side (which is what I mostly play) I have one of each class at 110, plus a Void Elf Affliction Warlock and Lightforged Draenei Fury Warrior (this guy), both at 110. For the Horde (ha ha), I have a 110 Nightborne Arcane Mage and a 110 Orc Frost DK. The third Horde toon I have is an Orc Destro Warlock, but he is only 101. I just like variety, and I find it fun and challenging to play classes I'm not that familiar with, especially when I'm a bit burned out on my main (like at the end of an xpac!).
110 everything on horde.

this is my only alliance toon and it probably will be that way for a long time. if I don't race change this toon to dark iron, I'll make a dark iron dwarf and maybe a sethrak. depending what classes they can be