WoD Politics??

General Discussion
Whats the reasoning behind the WoD hate? Can someone help me capture the hate that was so horridly felt during the WoD days?

Everything about this expansion is pure awesomeness. I love so much about it and garrisons are a great time killer that is packed with some easy mounts.

Why do folks hate this expansion so much?
Ability pruning, lack of content, terrible balancing, easy handouts for free like the mounts and all of that that you can get from the Garrisons, complete disregard for player feedback, and Ashran, to name a few.
The middle arc of the expansion's story was entirely cut along with a raid tier, while having no major open world content and a dungeon system that quite honestly was not up to par with Legion's standards.
Those were my problems, anyway.

06/05/2018 08:25 PMPosted by Øldman
Everything about this expansion is pure awesomeness. I love so much about it and garrisons are a great time killer that is packed with some easy mounts.

That's because you have other things to do now, and can just go back to Draenor to farm what you missed from the Garrison. You didn't experience the isolation of the Garrison from the rest of the world, nor did you have to spend those long hours AFKing in your town hall waiting for queues to pop because there was nothing for you to do in Draenor besides farm materials (most of which were made entirely worthless by the Garrison mine/garden, by the way).

It's fine and dandy to look back on and flesh out your achievements and collections. Not to live through.
Gameplay wise I really only had a beef with the garrisons. Otherwise I had fun with it and I liked the dungeons.

I think some people were also irritated by the direction the story took. I admit I was a bit disappointed when the focus shifted from the Iron Horde over to the Legion in the last raid. Not a big fan of bait-and-switch final bosses (Looking at you, Garrosh).
Great long periods of time with no content, meaning all you really got to see was that "great time killer" of garrsions - which really weren't. You logged in, did chores for the day, and left.

The lore was absolutely shredded, creating a sloppy mess that didn't even wrap up nicely - having large parts of it left on the cutting room floor, even.

Selfie camera "content patch".

Both Alliance and Horde feeling neglected, storywise. WoD was where "the Alliance forces always die/the Horde lore characters are ruined" started for a few folks.
I liked Ashran lol
06/05/2018 08:33 PMPosted by Dunacht
The lore was absolutely shredded, creating a sloppy mess that didn't even wrap up nicely - having large parts of it left on the cutting room floor, even.

DRAENOR IS FREE!
They basically half-assed the entire expansion, cut almost everything that would have made it cool, and the story (while not a total loss) kind of seemed like an asspull with no real impact on the wider world or story-line.

Karabor was supposed to have been this awesome hub for the Alliance. Instead, it's just a glorified prop in the middle of nowhere. Shattrath is even worse. Think of all that potential. Just wasted. The Horde was supposed to get Farahlon (Laughing Skull home-base) - that went down the toilet too.

The Ogres also were supposed to have their own continent. No dice.

The Raids were okay - nowhere near the best raids ever, but fair enough. Highmaul was particularly fun. Dungeons were kind of meh, though I will say that Grimrail Depot and Iron Docks still count among my all-time favourite instances.

Main complaint IMHO was the lack of end-game content. Basically, once you hit 110 there was little or nothing to do. Credit where it's due, they learned their lesson and introduced the world quest system in Legion.

No new BGs, and Ashran was a pretty big letdown. So no joy even on the PvP front.

And I'm never going to forgive them for saying that FB/Twitter integration and a freaking Selfie Camera count as a "Major Content Patch".
Because it didn't add the Dance Studio
Off the top of my head?

Garrisons were trash versions of housing. Instead of giving players something we'd been asking for for a decade, they gave us a generic hut with some vendors. It also broke professions, and the need to interact with anyone in the game.

They cut 50% of the content from WoD. We're not talking about things hinted at by Blizzard, these were in the works and were simply scrapped. Farahlon, Tanaan, Karabor/Bladespire, a 3rd raid tier... All gone.

There was the "no flight ever" shenanigans. They didn't even go back on their word, and instead gave us a 'compromise' with Pathfinder.

Outside of the raids there was almost no content. From about Highmaul onwards it was the case where I didn't want to or need to log in until about 15 minutes before raid time.

Mission Tables instead of content.

Orcs, orcs, orcs and some more orcs. Then fel-green for 18 months...
Everyone has pretty much covered it. I think if they had not cut the content, WoD would have been a pretty good expansion. Garrison issues aside.
Imagine if the only non-raid content added in Legion post release was the Broken Shore. (And no class campaigns, just some weekly quests that made up the garrison campaign, the first half of which were randomized in order, so they couldn't actually involve any real story.) Now, do that for 2 years. The initial leveling content was very good, there just wasn't much after that unless you were a raider.
Traveling back in time to change the timeline is the one of the lamest plot cards to pull out of the deck, that's probably the one thing I disliked the most about WoD. I also dislike all of these visit past versions of zones ... let them die in the past, let the world forever remain changed.
The plot itself is a mess, personally I think the whole time travel/alternate reality aspect was a huge mistake. It felt like there was no middle to the story, I'm still confused as to how Grom suddenly became our ally.

Garrisons are pretty self explanatory in why they're disliked.

Heaps of cut content, such as the originally planned faction cities or the entire zone of Farahlon.

Lack of content. Only 2 raid tiers, at least BRF was amazing. And who could forget a 'major' patch that only added in the selfie camera and twitter integration.
This video sums it up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puRtQyclQqA

After raiding, you pretty much have:

1. Wait in queue for Ashran that may or may never actually pop.
2. Apexis dailies
3. Apexis dailies
4. Garrison mission tables.

(Also no Karabor as a capital city. The entire expansion was a mess from plot to just content. )
i really hated garrisons and how everything was tied into them in some way
Pretty sure I temporarily lost a friend to a garrison, lol. I came into WoD late; but people were bored and leveling alts, Tanaan dailies and HFC were life. Legion had so much more content; wqs are so much better imho than Tanaan dailies at level.
Ability pruning, lack of content, terrible balancing,complete disregard for player feedback,and Ashran, to name a few.

This is the part were i lost respect to blizzard and became a cynic to their "vision" for WoW.
There was nothing to do but raid, you would log on and raid and then log out- because you're done for the week. Everything else was tied into your garrison more or less.
06/05/2018 08:43 PMPosted by Kregor
They basically half-assed the entire expansion, cut almost everything that would have made it cool, and the story (while not a total loss) kind of seemed like an asspull with no real impact on the wider world or story-line.

Karabor was supposed to have been this awesome hub for the Alliance. Instead, it's just a glorified prop in the middle of nowhere. Shattrath is even worse. Think of all that potential. Just wasted. The Horde was supposed to get Farahlon (Laughing Skull home-base) - that went down the toilet too.

The Ogres also were supposed to have their own continent. No dice.

The Raids were okay - nowhere near the best raids ever, but fair enough. Highmaul was particularly fun. Dungeons were kind of meh, though I will say that Grimrail Depot and Iron Docks still count among my all-time favourite instances.

Main complaint IMHO was the lack of end-game content. Basically, once you hit 110 there was little or nothing to do. Credit where it's due, they learned their lesson and introduced the world quest system in Legion.

No new BGs, and Ashran was a pretty big letdown. So no joy even on the PvP front.

And I'm never going to forgive them for saying that FB/Twitter integration and a freaking Selfie Camera count as a "Major Content Patch".

Good heavens, I'm agreeing with an orc!