Why so many new races?

General Discussion
To me it seems like Blizzard is just shoving out these 'new' races in a desperation attempt to save itself from irrelevancy. Forget coherent storytelling, decent raids and such and just shove in a new race every now and then with a class that only they can be and the masses for a little while will eat it up. It's the makings of a awfully shallow game that will probably fare well with the kids but not so much with young and old adults. What do y'all think?
They need to have something that players want and are willing to spend 100 hours to acquire. First it was flying and now new races. I'm surprised they haven’t put a time-gated rep grind just to get past level 59.
05/31/2018 10:37 AMPosted by Nøøne
To me it seems like Blizzard is just shoving out these 'new' races in a desperation attempt to save itself from irrelevancy. Forget coherent storytelling, decent raids and such and just shove in a new race every now and then with a class that only they can be and the masses for a little while will eat it up. It's the makings of a awfully shallow game that will probably fare well with the kids but not so much with young and old adults. What do y'all think?

I think its just something different to try and see how the play base responds. I kind of like the idea of having to "unlock" new races.

I expect that there will come a time in the future where the unlock requirements will be removed and everyone will have access to the new races. Probably toward the end of the next expansion. So, I don't mind a little extra work to get them now. It isn't difficult, is just a time sink for the most part.

And I think your assumption about age groups is false. I like to think the older players like myself enjoy the "effort = reward" idea.

One last thing, I have been playing this game for a very long time and I don't remember the scenario you described:

"new race every now and then with a class that only they can be"
I'm not aware of any 1:1 relation between class and race.
I think your summer vacation hasn’t started yet.
We'll give them so many races to choose from they'll have nothing to complain about!

Players see the new races and complain...

/sigh

WoW is still far and away the biggest MMO out there, so I don't know about irrelevancy.

I haven't raided this xpac as I've just been back from a long break, but I heard the raids were rather good with Nighthold being one of the best ever.

Storytelling could use some (a lot of) work, I'll give you that.

I'm 27 and I very much enjoy all the new races. Different strokes for different people, no need to be condescending.
05/31/2018 10:57 AMPosted by Ayaani

WoW is still far and away the biggest MMO out there, so I don't know about irrelevancy.

[/quote]

I mean, that's not saying much considering how unpopular MMORPGs are nowadays. I'll give OP the benefit of the doubt and assume they meant like overall popularity and not in the sense of struggling to compete with other MMORPGs.
$$$
05/31/2018 10:57 AMPosted by Crepe
We'll give them so many races to choose from they'll have nothing to complain about!

/sigh

Right?!
05/31/2018 11:07 AMPosted by Vanrielris
05/31/2018 10:57 AMPosted by Ayaani

I mean, that's not saying much considering how unpopular MMORPGs are nowadays. I'll give OP the benefit of the doubt and assume they meant like overall popularity and not in the sense of struggling to compete with other MMORPGs.[/quote]

fortnite anyone?
05/31/2018 11:07 AMPosted by Vanrielris
<span class="truncated">...</span>

I mean, that's not saying much considering how unpopular MMORPGs are nowadays. I'll give OP the benefit of the doubt and assume they meant like overall popularity and not in the sense of struggling to compete with other MMORPGs.[/quote]
That's exactly what i meant. Just feels like they're pushing these 'new' races on us without any real justifiable story reason. *yes i've read the stories about how why they join a faction and have unlocked them all* not to mention Demon Hunters being introduced in Legion to combat the Legion. I know people are gonna compare them with the Scourge but the Scourge is still around. Pretty sure the Legion isn't unless they decide to bring back Illidan in some weird way.
05/31/2018 10:40 AMPosted by Hascall
They need to have something that players want and are willing to spend 100 hours to acquire. First it was flying and now new races. I'm surprised they haven’t put a time-gated rep grind just to get past level 59.

Can't speak for others but as for me i've always played for the story. If i unlock something great but it's not why i play.

I have a much bigger problem with server populations and player toxicity making it hard to actually do anything beyond LFG / LFR with total strangers.

/sigh

You really don't deserve that MVP title.
05/31/2018 11:24 AMPosted by Nøøne

/sigh

Why cause he's honest?
05/31/2018 11:26 AMPosted by Vognik
05/31/2018 11:24 AMPosted by Nøøne

Why cause he's honest?
oohh, a twist.
05/31/2018 10:40 AMPosted by Hascall

I don't think anyone can really add anymore truth to this comment.
They aren't really new races they are based off the old races. White draenei with yellow eyes and tattoos.
05/31/2018 11:32 AMPosted by Azuremi
They aren't really new races they are based off the old races. White draenei with yellow eyes and tattoos.

I know, that's why i put new in those marks.
I can't be alone in not even considering the Allied Races as legit new races. To me, they're basically unlockable skins. I specifically remember Dark Iron Dwarves (I'm really excited to make one, btw) discussed by the devs as a custom option for the new models that were announced prior to MoP.

Worgen, Goblins, and Pandaren were new races. Ogres or Murlocs would be new races. In my opinion, a new race has a new model/skeleton.

If Blizz had called this new feature Prestige Allies or something more akin to what they really are, I wonder if there would be so many complaints. Also, I'm kind of enjoying having to unlock them...
What do y'all think?

It tells me there is not much in the way of content in BFA.