Club 36: All Mage Tower Challenges in Review!

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 Next
I'm 35/36 with only prot warrior left. I feel like I have hit a brick wall with this spec. Even reducing the amount of stacks I take of the debuff to three and pumping all my rage into ignore pain it still seems as though I am taking just so much damage... If anyone has any suggestions I'ld appreciate it so much T.T
05/25/2018 08:07 PMPosted by Peter
I'm 35/36 with only prot warrior left. I feel like I have hit a brick wall with this spec. Even reducing the amount of stacks I take of the debuff to three and pumping all my rage into ignore pain it still seems as though I am taking just so much damage... If anyone has any suggestions I'ld appreciate it so much T.T

No suggestions, but I do remember struggling with war. Keep at it!
Kruul is designed to be as anti-warrior as possible.

Sub-2 million health and you're about to take Mind Rend? Easy, just get some rage for Ignore Pain! Except there are no adds left, and you can't get in range due to the stupid health reduction aura, so you just die (and worse yet, "git gud" idiots justifying it).

It's also as anti-tank as possible (as in it literally has nothing to do with tanking, you have to cope with damage while having essentially no heals AND have to do the DPS yourself while avoiding mechanics usually reserved for DPS like knockbacks.)
prot warrior - if you can get to P2 regularly, you're golden. Some tips I gave a friend from work:

-Don't be afraid to spell reflect the first few mind rends, so long as the cd is up by the time Kruul hits the ground you should be good to go

-I had some issues surviving Annhilate 3-4, Last Stand was my savior

-If you can laser -focus into getting the bracers, they really help a ton in P1.
05/25/2018 08:02 PMPosted by Wulm
<span class="truncated">...</span>

It is up there, I really hope they implement something like it in BfA.

Yes to both of youse.

Just got done with arcane, it was the last one I wanted. 15/36 is a far far cry from 36/36, but hey...I got the ones I really wanted .

My wife keeps teasing that I am not yet done with the Mage Tower even though I keep assuring her this was it...

Same, I made sure to get all my mage and warrior skins first, now im slowly going into alts and getting them from seniority rules (alts I've had longer and tend to play more Ill focus on). I know I don't get them all but over these past 14 years I seem to always gravitate to my mage and warrior, then my rogue and shaman so I made sure to do all those first. The rest im meh about, but doing them slowly.

And its not even about the skins (don't even like any of the mage ones), but its more of a "I feel like I failed a class I play a lot of I can't get it". Not saying that to diss anyone else who can't, but its purely a personal thing.... like a boss on a game you can't beat so you keep coming back to it just because its become a thing of pride at that point.

Kruul is designed to be as anti-warrior as possible.

Its actually very doable as a prot war, I did it on mine back in ToS using the bracers and the gloves. While they're all mechanics, Kruul really has you needing to focus on the mechanics. Just make sure you don't get more then 5 stacks of the P1 buff, and bounce back and forth (warriors are really good at that). You don't realize how good that war mobility is until you do it on a slower tank.
05/25/2018 08:46 PMPosted by Wulm
-If you can laser -focus into getting the bracers, they really help a ton in P1.

I'm dreading doing the prot mage tower, but the bracers were the first legendary i got on my warrior so i think i might be set. If it wasn't for that sheer amount of dumb luck i probably wouldn't even attempt it.
I'm just getting the skins I like personally, I've got MM/BM Hunter(SV soon) and affliction lock done but i'm debating on others. At least I have the ones I actually care about.

I was having problems with Karam as Afflic due to not having the ring, but positioning karam right where the exit portal spawns so I had extra time to burst dps raest really helped.

Managed to burst him down fast enough that I had no hand spawns my last run lol.
05/25/2018 06:05 PMPosted by Aniel
I'm curently at 28/36. And this is from someone who literally only plays healer specs. I'm so close! I'm quite satisfied with the current skins I've already unlocked so I wouldn't be bothered if I fail to get the remaining ones before the xpac ends. No pressure for me I guess.

I was right there with you. It started with just my two mains. Then the others I thought were cool. Then I might as well finish the classes I was geared on. And at that point... may as well go for broke. Definitely didn't think I'd have them all when I first started on them.
I've finished 4 and attempted 5.

Finished : MM, outlaw, assassination, affliction
Attempted : BM

Hardest to easiest:
affliction , no ring and no cheese
Otherwise:
1. BM feltotem, no utility legendaries, no healing. Tried about 30 times at 930 ilvl. I could probably do it if I tried more, but I gave up. Not enough healing to keep up, and I performed it practically flawless...only running into the warm once..all else perfect. Couldn't do it. I'm not paying 2k for a stupid heal pot and not going to grind out prydaz or roots. Good thing I think the skin is ugly or else I'd be sweatin it.
2. Assassination , sygryn.ilvl 930 Not too bad once you have mechanics down. Just need patience. ~15 tries. No heal leggos
3. Outlaw, agatha. Ilvl 935. Not bad with this dps. But she throws you for a loop near the end with the massive imp spawns. Didn't sweat it at all though and 3 shot. No heal leggos
4. MM twins. No heal leggos. Ilvl 930. 1 shot at this level after trying ~15 times at ilvl 875. Got some macros and executed. Easy.
Double posted.
I'm at 19/36 and have at least one for all the classes I actually enjoy playing.

The only ones I really don't care for are warlock mage and shaman, otherwise I'll probably push for the rest.

As far as difficulty, its no surprise that I've struggled the most with Kruul and the healing challenge. Those I've only done two or three times each.

For Kruul the prot warrior has been incredibly difficult and after putting in 150+ attempts I'm ready to throw in the towel.

As far as healing goes I wont even attempt it on holy priest after struggling on holy paladin. Druid was much easier for me, as I was able to burn through phase 1 super easily thanks to moonglaive trinket and balance affinity. After that for druid the last two phases weren't too difficult as long as I remembered not to be healing myself in the last phase.

My favorite challenge thus far has been Marksman Hunter and Assassination Rogue, both classes just felt so well prepared to handle those challenges.
05/25/2018 01:44 PMPosted by Wryndox
05/24/2018 06:33 PMPosted by Farora
I thought the healing one was the most well balanced although I also found it too long.

I hope to never see Kruul's stupid face ever again.

Doing Sigryn on 2 specs I had never played before (demonology and arcane) was fun.

I found that different classes had a harder time than others. I roflestomped the challenges on my 930 DK but had more trouble on the same challenges with other classes despite being around the same ilvl.

Maybe at high ilvls for a Resto Druid, but not anything sub 940. HotS are just useless in phase 6. Overall, these encounters all are terrible, and this is coming from someone who has almost all of them unlocked on every spec of each class. Just because something is difficult does not mean it's well designed, which seams to be a common misconception in todays WoW community. Many of the Mage Towers are buggy and have incredible ranges of RNG. When you complete them, you don't feel a sense of accomplishment, but a sense of relief because they are annoying.

I did resto druid one at 902. Compared to other healers it felt easier on druid.
05/24/2018 06:30 PMPosted by Zuluhed
The Highlord's Return

The most difficult of all the challenges for me, and what I view as the most poorly designed, the tanking challenge was definitely the most time consuming. Full disclosure, this was the first one I tackled and one of the few I did at an appropriate item level, but even with overgeared characters, I felt that certain mechanics were overly punishing and I never actually felt challenged as a tank - this was all about damage, unfortunately, with tanking concerns being more-or-less secondary if at all existent for certain classes. Most unforgivable, though, was the buggy infernal knockback, which would often trigger and likely end a run without broadcasting itself. In summary, buggy and did not accurately assess your ability to do your role.

Kruul seems to be a "love-it-or-hate-it" encounter, and part of it seems to depend on your own "tanking philosophy":

• If you consider tanking to be mostly about damage mitigation, the encounter will seem foreign to you.
  • If you consider tanking to be mostly about control, it makes PERFECT sense.

Personally, I loved the Kruul encounter because it pretty much forces you to watch everything that's going on and keep it all under control; ended up getting 4/6 of the Kruul encounters done (Blood DK, Prot Warrior, Prot Pally, and Brewmaster in that order; don't really care about the other two, and my highest druid alt is probably about level 12). A few of the classes have "cheese strategies" (Brewmaster and Invoke Nizuao being a big one), but the general feel of the encounter is one which really does force you to acknowledge your ability to control the encounter as a whole; incidentally, quickly and efficiently dealing with adds is part of the equation.

Heck, I even liked the fact that gear doesn't save you that much in the encounter; the infernal's punt mechanic is deliberately designed to ignore you gear. No idea why people say it's glitchy, because they have a LONG wind-up animation (seriously, they have one hand up in the air for something like 5-6 seconds); the most likely explanation is that you just didn't notice it until it was too late (which I'll admit, I missed *repeatedly*).

It's a frustrating encounter, but eventually you just reach an almost zen-like state about the encounter and can see everything coming at you; beating it was an almost euphoric experience. A bit like Dark Souls, when you think about it; frustrating and that actually ends up working against you (you make more mistakes), but rewarding when you finally beat it. That and return visits to Kruul are MUCH easier, because you now know how he actually works.
I like the idea of the mage tower. I despise the time element of having it removed later that is pissing me off to no extent whenthey could easily time walk it
I'm 0/8 so far (I only want 8 of them), but I spent this last cycle learning the fights, then next time I'll do my actual attempts (with consumables and everything). Hope I can get 'em in time!
Haven't tried resto druid yet might give that a try for completing at least one of the healer ones since it seems to be easier from what people tell me compared to MW and Holy Paladins.
I'm going to have to find some time to get more replies out there - getting more than a little behind in responding!
I've only ever done the Mage tower on my feral spec ( since its all I care about ). As mentioned before, Feral does An Impossible Foe aka Agatha The Imp Mother. For perspective, I competed the challenge the week ToS opened.

The challenge took me well over 100 attempts, possible 150+ attempts. Stubborn as I am, I completed without guides or other assistance.

I tried doing the mechanics, I didn't have any time to damage Aga tha between her bubbles. I tried to manage all the ads, interrupt and CC without success.

I grew irritated and salty, I didn't have the energy pool/resources the other Ferals had. RNGesus was not kind in the legendary department. A few months and tens, possible a hundred attempts passed and I got the new ring introduced the week of the ToS release.

In the end, I just needed the energy to AoE everything and ignoring everything, though moving imps to side was necessary. Just burst through everything and hope the invulnerablity imps don't pop in when the phase shift and screws me over. About 20-30 attempts of RNG later, I had my appearance.

I didn't feel that the Feral Mage Tower had much thought/effort. It could've been a great, mechanics juggling puzzle to be remembered, but it was RNG on RNG on RNG on top of Ignore everything and AoE.

/rant
05/25/2018 08:07 PMPosted by Peter

It always came down to self-healing for me. Staying alive, only DPSing when you had a good opportunity to burst. Use the eyes to heal whenever you need it. Use Velen's Orbs liberally, and keep track of the order in which they spawn because they will despawn if you take too long to use them. Other classes, I'd try to save them to delay Annihilates on Kruul, but I couldn't afford to for Prot.

Kruul himself was easier on Warrior than on most specs, but Variss was incredibly punishing.
05/25/2018 08:46 PMPosted by Wulm
prot warrior - if you can get to P2 regularly, you're golden. Some tips I gave a friend from work:

-Don't be afraid to spell reflect the first few mind rends, so long as the cd is up by the time Kruul hits the ground you should be good to go

-I had some issues surviving Annhilate 3-4, Last Stand was my savior

I was more a fan of saving Spell Reflect for the adds. The cooldown syncs, and their stacking debuff proved to be a far greater issue than Rends if not dealt with.

Something people rarely do, but you can actually outrange the boss. You'll have to keep moving, though. I wound up doing this while killing adds to heal up.