How do loot rolls in this game work?

General Discussion
I was just in a low level dungeon on this character and I was the only person there who could use plate. I rolled need on this plate chest for transmog, and our druid won it somehow. It was a green.

I thought if you roll need on an item, if you can use it and other people can't, you get priority over it? Is that not how it works?
i don't think that rule applies to green gear, but i haven't done a low level dungeon in a very long time.
I believe you had a case of a loot ninja, some people roll need on items they can’t use because they can.
Green loot from lower dungeons is decided by need/greed. If you want it, you can Need it. Else, you greed.

Common courtesy is that you need on stuff you can use and greed on anything that's either not an upgrade or unusable. However, sometimes seeing a piece of loot that's over 1g is particularly enticing to some players and they'll need regardless. That's just one reason someone can need a piece. Could have been someone thinking they could use plate. Accidental is another cause. Anoher is they're being jerkfaces and just loot hoarding for resale/DE.

I believe some later dungeons phase it so you can't need stuff you can't use. However, most gear from lower dungeons is replaced very quickly by either leveling rewards or the next dungeon.
I thought all dungeon loot was personal loot now?
I dont think need before greed starts till around level 60 iirc, before then its just normal group loot.
06/14/2018 09:25 PMPosted by Arithawn
I thought all dungeon loot was personal loot now?

It is but stuff looted from chests still goes up for a roll.
Just remember if you choose "need" the item will be bonded to you and you want be able to trade it or sell it on the auction house
Very badly. I'd like to punch the person who put rocks and AP into the loot tables.
06/14/2018 08:49 PMPosted by Deathchix
i don't think that rule applies to green gear, but i haven't done a low level dungeon in a very long time.

Oh Hi. Deathchix is back.

Some guy was concerned and made a thread, then some people chimed in. I can't find the thread now.
just level up OP then go solo all the stuff you'd ever want
Next expansion our only option is loot communism. Do amazing or get hard carried and you'll get equal chances at loot. Let's be honest though, all the best loot will go to bads.
06/15/2018 12:57 AMPosted by Werbatim
Next expansion our only option is loot communism. Do amazing or get hard carried and you'll get equal chances at loot. Let's be honest though, all the best loot will go to bads.

As a master loot supporter myself, this makes us supporters look bad. We aren't all like this, I promise.
With that attitude, I hope you get gold and artifact power with your rolls, for the entire expansion.

Fantastic attitude bro, might as well stop playing the game...oh wait you can't some unforeseen hand is forcing you to run lfds and lfr .......k
With that attitude, I hope you get gold and artifact power with your rolls, for the entire expansion.

Did I say anything that isn't true?

Fantastic attitude bro, might as well stop playing the game...oh wait you can't some unforeseen hand is forcing you to run lfds and lfr .......k

Oh, you didn't hear? You have to use personal loot in every scenario in BfA and not just LFD or LFR. I'm not sure why you think I run LFR but it's alright, everyone makes dumb mistakes sometimes.