Why timegate Pathfinder?

General Discussion
1 2 3 13 Next
Hello, so I really do like the concept of Pathfinder. Compared to WoTLK for example, I believe it took less time to actually grind out the achievement, and earn flying that way, compared to how long it took to grind out the gold.

The fact that it also unlocks it for every alt that you have is a really nice touch, overall the concept of pathfinder is fine. I think that if Blizzard implemented it correctly, people would stop complaining (for the most part) overnight.

The biggest issue with Pathfinder is the time gating. It took 2 major patches for flying to be available during Legion, due to it being in two parts (and it's looking to be the exact same in BfA). I really enjoyed the expansion, but quit for a while shortly after 7.1, only to return once they added Pathfinder back into the game.

Doing the same world quests over and over again just gets really tedious. Especially around zones like Highmountain, where getting around felt needlessly difficult. Plus I have already reached a point where I've seen most of the base world.

I wouldn't be surprised for this being the direct reason for that player dip that occurred over two expansions now, because a few friends of mine followed that same exact path that I did. Perhaps this is what Blizzard wants, I'm not really sure at this point.

So, what is the purpose of time gating Pathfinder over the majority of the expansion?

Edit: Please remember that to earn both Pathfinder parts as of now, you have to basically play through all of the content, then rep grind. I am not asking for an instantaneous solution, rather that they make it possible to fly within the first month, or even two, by making both parts available at launch. 2 major content patches without flying just feels pointless, as most of us have earned part 1 by then, and played through the majority of the questing content already.
To make people angry. Blizzard was too cowardly to remove it entirely, and now they're going home to kick the dog.
to torture us
06/18/2018 09:11 AMPosted by Pandaria
The biggest issue with Pathfinder is the time gating. It took 2 major patches for flying to be available during Legion, due to it being in two parts (and it's looking to be the exact same in BfA).

The alternative would be that Suramar would be as it's now, people divebomb out of the sky, get whatever objective they have, take off. Instead of the "sneak into the city and plan your way around" thing they had going there.

Now, you may not be a fan of the cloak-and-dagger games that went on in Suramar (I quite enjoyed them), but flying from day 1 would have made that all a completely pointless waste of dev time.

Expect more of this in future "current content", or suggest a better way to keep current content viable for longer. Because that is the name of the game here. No, the answer can not be "make moar content" because there are limited resources in the real world.

06/18/2018 09:14 AMPosted by Hatred
To make people angry
06/18/2018 09:15 AMPosted by Grassybay
to torture us
people like you worry me. If I thought a company treated me that way, I'd be long gone. Also, assigning human emotions to a company made up of many people.
So, what is the purpose of time gating Pathfinder over the majority of the expansion?
You got me... It is what it is. I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it. I just play the game like I usually do and unlock what I can. I'll get flying eventually.
06/18/2018 09:21 AMPosted by Courtiah
The biggest issue with Pathfinder is the time gating. It took 2 major patches for flying to be available during Legion, due to it being in two parts (and it's looking to be the exact same in BfA).

The alternative would be that Suramar would be as it's now, people divebomb out of the sky, get whatever objective they have, take off. Instead of the "sneak into the city and plan your way around" thing they had going there.

Now, you may not be a fan of the cloak-and-dagger games that went on in Suramar (I quite enjoyed them), but flying from day 1 would have made that all a completely pointless waste of dev time.

Expect more of this in future "current content", or suggest a better way to keep current content viable for longer. Because that is the name of the game here.

To make people angry
to torture us
people like you worry me. If I thought a company treated me that way, I'd be long gone. Also, assigning human emotions to a company made up of many people.

If only there was a solution to keep people off flying mounts in certain areas. I'm picturing dwarves...hammers...gryphons.....falling.

No, that's ludicrous.
Suramar was a hoot. Loved it on my shammy and especially my rogue.
For the same reason almost everything else in WoW is time gated in some form. You’d burn through the content too quickly.

Ground vs flying is 2 pretty different gameplay experiences so you get ground mounts for about 6 months and rest of the time flying. It spices things up a bit splitting the modes of travel up.
My personal opinion is that it falls into two parts (pun intended). Firstly, I think they wanted to make earning flying an accomplishment. Secondly, they wanted to make sure that 'everyone' was generally capable of earning it at the same time.

Just unlocking flying at date xxx would fail to provide the desired "earning", while not timegating it would fail to keep people mostly even.

Make Suramar a no-fly zone. Because of the magical force shield surrounding it. Fits right into the lore. Suramar stays a cool zone. Everyone gets to fly to their world quests. Problem solved.
06/18/2018 09:24 AMPosted by Hatred

Expect more of this in future "current content", or suggest a better way to keep current content viable for longer. Because that is the name of the game here.

......people like you worry me. If I thought a company treated me that way, I'd be long gone. Also, assigning human emotions to a company made up of many people.

If only there was a solution to keep people off flying mounts in certain areas. I'm picturing dwarves...hammers...gryphons.....falling.

No, that's ludicrous.

Those never stopped people from flying. You still can fly up and then glide down.

To make people angry
to torture us

I did enjoy a lot of the Suramar zone, as well as traversing it on foot, but it still got old rather fast to me.

If they added both Pathfinder parts at launch, it would have still taken a few weeks for most people to get, at the least. Because the part one achievement was time gated behind lots of other rep grinds. Part of the pathfinder achievement was the Suramar rep, so people would have had to do a lot of that on foot to earn flying regardless.
They should give us everything at start, so we dont have to see and enjoy the game.
To make people angry. Blizzard was too cowardly to remove it entirely, and now they're going home to kick the dog.

Sadly, I don't 100% disagree with this.

It's pretty clear that the majority of players don't like it. The Pathfinder achievement thing in-and-of itself isn't that big of a deal. But it's the fact that it isn't implemented until much later. It doesn't matter if it circumvents some things the devs 'planned'. If people are frustrated and bored, they're not going to want to do them anyway. And when it feels like Blizz is FORCING you to do something in a way you don't want, you tend to either not do them, or complain the whole time you are. Neither of which is a fun way to play.

It boils down to two things:
Most players like flying.
Blizz doesn't.

So they have to compromise.
But when they put up all the walls, and make it take forever, it doesn't feel like a compromise. It feels like Blizzard's way of making flying 'bad'.
I actually love pathfinder. I am very happy to see it return. I am not being sarcastic, I genuinely love it. I love the immersion of my first play through, and the pacing of it.
Time gated because:
1.) Blizzard removed flying because part of their argument was that players weren't seeing the content. They were flying over everything. Kind of a pointless argument to make when most people don't even read quest text anyway so you really think many are going to notice a tiny grave in the middle of nowhere or a rabbit battling a squirrel with axes? Wonder how many found the area with the owlkin in Val'sharah before they hit max level and saw world quests nearby.
2.) If flying wasn't time gated, people would just rush to max level while not paying attention to the content just so they could get flying and skip over more content on future toons. But hey, people do that already just to hurry up and get geared for endgame so again Blizzard has no argument with this one.

But those are Blizzard's excuses and what many like to repeat. Not exactly a good argument when people skip content regardless of flying.

Personally, I don't care for the time gate myself. If players aren't even reading the quest text, there's no point to time gate flying via a "pathfinder" achievement which is effectively a "hey, do every quest and explore every zone so you can see what we did while you grind rep for weeks to unlock flying". While I was for the achievement in WoD, I really don't get how rep has anything to do with finding your way around. Exploration is how you find your way around. Unless we can't uncover the map via exploration anymore and thus have to buy multiple maps at various rep levels to uncover it, reps are rather pointless for the achievement. Quests don't make much sense, either, since many just roam around without having quests just for exploration and to get the xp. Unless quests unlocked new areas as you went (much like how the one area in Draenor's Shadowmoon was locked off until you got further into the zone), quests aren't needed for pathfinder, either. Quests may guide you to a certain area to explore it, but there are still often areas you don't go to because there are no quests there or none while leveling anyway. So players are again forced to go to an area on their own to explore and find their way around. Pathfinder is poorly named for what it's supposed to be for and what it requires.

Having us spend months waiting to get flying and then removing it again in the next new zone shortly after also doesn't help people's opinion of the achievement.

Pathfinder as it stands now is like going to college for a degree in computer engineering only to be required to also take a series of poetry classes and participate in football in order to get your degree. Sucks for those that can't (or don't want to) write poetry and aren't athletic in the slightest. But hey, require things people may not want to do in relation to something just to reduce the number of people that get it. Then it stays rare and prestigious and thus more desirable for longer. An artificial and cheap way to kick people out from getting something by adding requirements that many may not be interested in.
06/18/2018 09:29 AMPosted by Manlyfleb
They should give us everything at start, so we dont have to see and enjoy the game.

I think both parts should be available from the start, absolutely. To get pathfinder part 1, you need to complete the questing area for each zone, and raise each rep up to exalted. Meaning that you also have to grind out several world quests.

What part of this allows you to skip over content, and not enjoy the game? You basically have to do all of the casual content in order to unlock Pathfinder.

Do you really want to grind out Highmountain on foot with every alt you plan on leveling between 7.0.3 and 7.2? I sure didn't, and even if you do, you're not forced to use a flying mount.
What if next expansion, it was an underground expansion so the entire expansion had to be done on ground mounts or using gnome/goblin tunnel mole machines for expedited travel. :P
06/18/2018 09:41 AMPosted by Drlightning
What if next expansion, it was an underground expansion so the entire expansion had to be done on ground mounts or using gnome/goblin tunnel mole machines for expedited travel. :P
'

I get lost in 1 room caves. PLEASE NOTHING UNDERGROUND! :P
To compromise between those who hate flying (for some silly reason) and those who want flying (understandably) and those who want it, but want it to mean something (kind of understandably)