Why timegate Pathfinder?

General Discussion
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 Next
A side purpose of gating Pathfinder is to give them extra time to complete the maps. They will release partials with working walls to keep you where they want you, then when finished drop the quest that puts us in the air.
06/19/2018 05:03 PMPosted by Shónuff
A side purpose of gating Pathfinder is to give them extra time to complete the maps. They will release partials with working walls to keep you where they want you, then when finished drop the quest that puts us in the air.

Except not really. We didn't see walls around (most of) Draenor or the Broken Isles. And thanks to the various toys available, we could still get to all of those high places, even if it was a major pain in the butt.
06/19/2018 04:52 PMPosted by Stonebeard
06/19/2018 04:48 PMPosted by Nyzer
Obviously, the flight issue and the Pathfinder time gating have lost Blizzard subscriptions.
Not enough, as Blizzard said they are happy with it and are going forward with Pathfinder.

And They will continue to lose subscriptions, you got a point?

Why pay top dollar for an unfinished product?
Pathfinder is there to keep you subbed longer because everything takes longer to do without flying. Just like the loot being increasingly RNG is a deliberate design decision to make people stay subbed for longer to grind gear.

That is the current design philosophy: to inflate time played metrics and reduce the amount of unsubs due to "finishing" the content while providing less actual content.
I could put up with the time gate if we knew every step required at launch. At least you could plan how you got the achievements.
The reason for the timegate in Legion was because of the Broken Shore.
Because it was accessible by air but they didn't want you flying until after you finished it.
Why? Immersion? :D
Flying mounts shouldn't exist at all to begin with.
06/19/2018 06:35 PMPosted by Bruise
Flying mounts shouldn't exist at all to begin with.

It is visible that something that brings joy and satisfaction to others, makes your life very miserable How good! :D
06/19/2018 03:12 PMPosted by Piddy
We got the Whistle in Legion, as well as Yet More hearthstones. The Whistle was a significant improvement. I don't know why they made the terrain more rugged and sticky. But recall the primary thesis, travel time is not there to "increase sub time", since that's that the primary mechanism where time is spent in the game. They may have simply wanted the environment to "matter" more, like how the grass moves when you move through it.

I'll agree that the whistle was an improvement. But... it seems to clash with the design philosophy of getting players to experience the world more. It Fast Travels you to the nearest unlocked flight master, which lets you experience even less of the world than flight taxis or free flight do. You can rush to an area, complete your objective, then immediately Fast Travel out. It's not really an improvement to the ground travel design.

It had to do with the reality that people will gladly fight their way to an objective. But having to fight their way back out of every quest would have resulted in a large number of players walking away from the game.

I feel like I've done millions of world quests, but I'm okay with it. I would never have done another one after getting my rep if we had to fight our way out past the same mobs we killed on the way in.
That is the only thing I dont agree with when it comes to pathfinder.
Pathfinder, and flying, should be in game on the very first day.
If everyone has to finish the story lines in each zone before they
can get flying. No one will be able to fly over the content while
it matters.
06/19/2018 05:08 PMPosted by Nyzer

Except not really. We didn't see walls around (most of) Draenor or the Broken Isles. And thanks to the various toys available, we could still get to all of those high places, even if it was a major pain in the butt.

It was actually well documented for WoD that the maps were unfinished, and the reason why my statement has been valid for years. I like to make sure people really remember why things are the way they are now.
The more this gets talked about. It seems as if the devs are no different then politicians in office. Wanting to keep there jobs easy while treating normal people/players with disdain. Sit back and think about that for a sec. Right now they want to retailiate against the players and pathfinder is there way implementing there revenge for those that wanted flying. Alot of players still haven't bothered returning. With upcoming changes to classes and other parts of the game. Look to those around you and start guessing who is next to leave.
06/19/2018 10:53 PMPosted by Sendrunna
The more this gets talked about. It seems as if the devs are no different then politicians in office. Wanting to keep there jobs easy while treating normal people/players with disdain. Sit back and think about that for a sec. Right now they want to retailiate against the players and pathfinder is there way implementing there revenge for those that wanted flying. Alot of players still haven't bothered returning. With upcoming changes to classes and other parts of the game. Look to those around you and start guessing who is next to leave.

As I said much earlier in the thread, ascribing malice to their motivations behind Pathfinder/no flying seems silly for a billion-dollar video game company when the motivation can be easily assigned to profits. Taking longer to accomplish existing content artificially increases time played metrics, which is what they currently use to measure the performance of WoW in their shareholder meetings.

I don't think they took out flying to spite us, or implemented pathfinder for similar reasons. They limited flying because by limiting flying they could force players to spend more time on less content.

Has it worked out in their favor? Hard to say, since we know they lost a lot of subs initially when they said it was permanently gone, but they are apparently committed to this going forward. I can personally say it hasn't worked out in Blizzard's favor for myself, as I unsubbed for 4-5 months in early Legion because I had all of PF1 yet still couldn't fly till 7.2 hit. In any event they are stating they intend to continue the current paradigm into the next Xpac, so it must not be THAT big of an impediment.
The alternative would be that Suramar would be as it's now, people divebomb out of the sky, get whatever objective they have, take off. Instead of the "sneak into the city and plan your way around" thing they had going there.

Newsflash:

After having done it all the only reason anyone goes there are for world quests, where you do indeed fly in and fly out.

Suramar was fun and immersive.

Once.

After that the majority could not wait to never have to go there again.
From what I gather, pathfinder was a last ditch effort on there part . Because most likely the higher ups didn't like the sub decline. So they figured on seeing how players would react to pathfinder instead of just adding flight to how it use to be. Imo if the subs drop more , who ever the higher up was that brought it to there attention. Might force there hands again to reinstate it back to the old ways. It would be interesting to see.
It there to give enough time for all types of players to adequately explore and experience the world on the ground - as it was intended.

Did all that in the first six weeks. Now explain the other seven months.

It's also so everyone can have plenty of time to earn the achievements. I imagine they don't want people who rush through all the content to be the first to have flying as well.

I had all of Pathfinder 1 done within I think 2-3 months.

Now tell me why i waited 8 months for flight and why part 2 was into time gated content that made attaining flight take even LONGER?

It's up for debate whether it takes too long to introduce

There is no debate, It took too long and Blizzard themselves admitted it.

but there is no question the world environments are more alive at the start and it's important that we at least start off the expansion with that as a priority when everyone is learning the ins and outs of the new world quests and zones.

World quests which were actually little more than rehashed levelling quests.
The answer is obvious as soon as you reject these fantasy beliefs:
1. the devs run Blizzard and make the decisions (based on emotion)
2. Blizzard's only purpose is (or should be) making players happy
3. "Players" means existing players. New players don't matter.

The reality: Blizzard is a corporation competing in the retail MMO marketplace. In that marketplace you live or die by attracting NEW players. Keeping veteran players happy is a goal, but less important. And "the devs feelings" are no part of any business decisions. If a dev is a prima donna, he gets replaced.

The time-gating of flying has a business purpose: ratings. Each expansion is rated (compared with other MMOs) by lots of magazines and websites. WoW wins awards and high ratings, which convince new players to buy the game. These reviews make a HUGE difference in company income.

The reviewers all want a CHALLENGING outdoor adventure and questing game, and a CHALLENGING dungeon game. Luckily, Blizzard has a team that can create that, and do it again every two years...for a non-flying game.

No dev team in the world knows how to create a CHALLENGING outdoor questing game that has WoW flying. WoW flying makes most content TRIVIAL. That means low ratings, bad reviews, and hundreds of millions of dollars lost.

Blizzard considered eliminating flying (in WoD), then compromised by time-gating flying for several months, so flying happens AFTER all the reviews and ratings are completed and published.
I find it interesting that as with Legion, Blizzard refuses to tell us (as they have themselves stated they map their expacs out) when part 2 will be and when we will fly.

Or are we looking at another 12 months stuck on the ground? So: when do we fly? How many months? How many parts?