What in game names are against ToS?

Customer Support
Hello, I was suspended today for a week because of the name “Obama”.

I was curious under which category of “bad names” that fell under. Also a short summary of which types of names are allowed.

I thought because the name was free and I didn’t use special characters it was fine - if it wasn’t allowed, it should be blocked from being used.

I appealed it and the response was very quick :)
Unfortunately they said there was no mistake, so I’m obviously in the wrong.
I don’t wish to make this mistake again so please if anyone can give me a small summary, it would be appreciated
Any reference to real life celebrities or media personalities (to include current and former Presidents) is not allowed.
Marked As Solution
Naming

Names are subject to the same rules established above. Any name the player has the ability to customize—such as player names, BattleTags, and guild names—must be appropriate and inoffensive. Any name that violates our standards or disrupts the community will be changed, and additional limitations may be placed on the offending account per our discretion.

Take note that acceptable names are determined by player reports and Blizzard's decision, and role-playing servers may have distinct standards for using game-appropriate names.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/42673

There is some leeway in naming rules, but basically because you used the name of a real life celebrity, that would be why you were reported and asked to change it.

The obvious take back though, is that Blizzard does not search out names to change, but if someone finds the name to not be appropriate, and reports it, Blizzard will check that report and are the final decider on if the name is appropriate or not. There is no specific list of approved or not approved, as that could change over time.
06/16/2018 06:07 PMPosted by Aturtle
I thought because the name was free and I didn’t use special characters it was fine - if it wasn’t allowed, it should be blocked from being used.

This is a fallacy.

There are far, far too many names (every single one with easily hundreds of different variations when you take different spellings and special characters into account) to code into a database that will take up untold legions of resources in order to make happen.

It's far easier to read the rules you agreed to and abide by them.

... pun was not intended, but I'll keep it.
You would not be suspended just for using the name. You would have been prompted to change it.

You would be suspended if you tried to get "cute" with the rename.

There is more to this story than you reported.
06/16/2018 08:27 PMPosted by Nok
You would not be suspended just for using the name. You would have been prompted to change it.

Yeah I have been asked to rename a couple times on different toons on different servers.
This character is very old though and has the name for a long time, so it came in shock.
06/16/2018 08:49 PMPosted by Aturtle
Yeah I have been asked to rename a couple times on different toons on different servers.

Bear in mind that if you're ever concerned about one of your characters' names, you can submit a ticket asking about names you think might be breaking the rules, and a GM will review them for you. If they would be violations of the rules for naming, the GM who reviews them will allow you to change them at no charge and without any penalty.

If there are any left on your account that you're concerned about, make sure you take the initiative so you can avoid any future suspensions.

I was curious under which category of “bad names” that fell under. Also a short summary of which types of names are allowed.

I don’t wish to make this mistake again so please if anyone can give me a small summary, it would be appreciated

The Terms of Use explain it more thoroughly than the Support naming guidelines. But you can't use names of real people (celebrities, politicians, religious leaders), religious figures, real places, fictional characters and places owned by others or Blizzard, vulgarities, racism, sexism, homophobia... think that about covers all realms.

----

Probably, but is that really important?
Thanks for the responses everyone

06/16/2018 08:56 PMPosted by Dathrel

Yeah I was like what the heck

Edited by Forum Moderators~~~~ Corrected the masked profanity, for what is okay:)
06/16/2018 09:02 PMPosted by Aturtle
Thanks for the responses everyone

<span class="truncated">...</span>

Yeah I was like what the heck

Edited by Forum Moderators~~~~ Corrected the masked profanity, for what is okay:)

Only in the sense that he claimed to be suspended for using the name itself when the suspension was actually for other actions.

I was thinking the same. 1 week for a name seems off. There has to be more to this.
06/16/2018 08:56 PMPosted by Dathrel

The Terms of Use explain it more thoroughly than the Support naming guidelines. But you can't use names of real people (celebrities, politicians, religious leaders), religious figures, real places, fictional characters and places owned by others or Blizzard, vulgarities, racism, sexism, homophobia... think that about covers all realms.

----

It is important only in the sense that being the new players may see this and think that is the standard penalty for a name that violates the ToS.

The OP clarified it though.

To the OP, if you are at all concerned about any others I would take the advice of Regg and got out in front of any other situations. Sorry to hear about the action on your account though.
Just for the people that believe I'm telling lies
https://imgur.com/a/zcRs6KE

I have never been asked to rename that character prior to that suspension
I'm also not claiming innocence either I have been asked to rename characters plenty of times before but not that one in particular
I don't think I nk anybody thought you were lying. Just a 1 week suspension for an improper name sounded extreme barring mitigating circumstances.

Later you clarified those circumstances. That was all.

I think I can safely say I speak for everyone when I sa we hope it all works out for you after this and you never have to experience it again.
06/17/2018 04:15 PMPosted by Aturtle
I have never been asked to rename that character

Yeah? This is the issue people are having here. You are implying that there is a difference between one character and another on the same account. Lots of people try that stance and say their punishment is unwarranted. So you are being lumped into the same group.

Unfair? Yeah. They could have read it better. But you could have used the search feature, as this has been asked before. Hundreds if not thousands of times. So if you take offense at the others for not reading properly, you are doing the same thing by making the post.
06/16/2018 08:51 PMPosted by Regg
06/16/2018 08:49 PMPosted by Aturtle

Bear in mind that if you're ever concerned about one of your characters' names, you can submit a ticket asking about names you think might be breaking the rules, and a GM will review them for you. If they would be violations of the rules for naming, the GM who reviews them will allow you to change them at no charge and without any penalty.

If there are any left on your account that you're concerned about, make sure you take the initiative so you can avoid any future suspensions.

This is completely true. I did so on this character just recently in fact. Nothing inappropriate, but didn't abide by RP rules. A GM had it cleared up super fast!
06/17/2018 06:05 PMPosted by Nobody
06/17/2018 04:15 PMPosted by Aturtle
I have never been asked to rename that character

Yeah? This is the issue people are having here. You are implying that there is a difference between one character and another on the same account. Lots of people try that stance and say their punishment is unwarranted. So you are being lumped into the same group.

Unfair? Yeah. They could have read it better. But you could have used the search feature, as this has been asked before. Hundreds if not thousands of times. So if you take offense at the others for not reading properly, you are doing the same thing by making the post.
I’m not sure we’re you got that from. I never said it was unfair and I only mentioned that I never had to rename my character only because the other poster claimed I had. I was only clarifying things, that is all.