can trade chat be trusted?

General Discussion
when it comes to all these people selling Mythic dungeons and ahead of the curve. I see people posting in trade chat , but when I click on their names , it says no player found . whats the deal , are they bots, is it a scam?
I guess it is a bug when it says "player not found", it happens a lot when you try to check low level players.

If they link you a discord channel when you ask for the price, they will most likely ask for money instead of gold. I don't think blizzard can do anything about it as they cannot prove that discord user is really owns that wow account.

You can try to get in groups asking for gold, but there is always a change to get scammed. It is up to you.
I cannot answer whether their offers are legitimate or not, but the shiftclicking on their names is simply because they’re on lvl 19 or below characters. It’s not actually a big, but an old system placed to reduced network stress and/or deter lvl 1 gold spammers from back in the day.
Like anything else, it depends. I've only ever once had any experience buying a run (Long story short, I promised a friend with limited time a run, said run fell through, and I wasn't going to make them wait), but it was well conducted and professional. I paid before the run, the person I paid communicated in /raid that I was good, and I received a summon to Argus. I stayed for the kill for funsies (at 974 it wasn't really an issue), friend got their bird and achievement...life was good.

I've heard relatively few stories about people getting ripped off on AotC runs. Long term, it's more lucrative for the sellers to maintain good standing and keep the runs going than it is to screw people over. That's not to say it never happens, as I'm positive it does. But my experience, both personal and by reputation, has been fine.

The M+ runs are were I balk a little. If a AotC run bites off more than it can chew, it's easy to adapt and fix. If a M+ run goes south...it goes south. I don't see how that gets rectified, and I don't imagine they accept payment on completion. As popular as they are and as quiet as GD is about it, I imagine most go well, but that's a logical leap at best.

General point though, keep it all in-game. When I was scrambling for a group to get my friend through, I applied for a few sale/carry groups. A good chunk of them got an automated "Hi, thanks for your interest, go to Skype/Discord/the corner of 3rd and Main for more info!" That's a clear sign they're asking for real money for the run, most likely, and you don't want to be involved in that.

I'd offer to help (I do M+'s for fun), but ya know...wrong faction. :(
06/06/2018 10:23 AMPosted by Serinay
I cannot answer whether their offers are legitimate or not, but the shiftclicking on their names is simply because they’re on lvl 19 or below characters. It’s not actually a big, but an old system placed to reduced network stress and/or deter lvl 1 gold spammers from back in the day.

If that’s true I would be wary of a lvl 19 offering a clear. If they were legit they should offer on their own account.
Hey kid. I'll double your ISK. Just double press enter on this contract to be sure you're the first one to accept, honest. Does this look like the face of an untrusty stranger to you?
06/06/2018 10:27 AMPosted by Zypher

If that’s true I would be wary of a lvl 19 offering a clear. If they were legit they should offer on their own account.

Quite often it is people selling cross realm services. When you sell heroic Argus kills which are one of the most common sales, you do not want 5-10 people in the group competing to sell spots on the same server when you could have each person go to a different server.
06/06/2018 10:31 AMPosted by Ahvoidance

Quite often it is people selling cross realm services. When you sell heroic Argus kills which are one of the most common sales, you do not want 5-10 people in the group competing to sell spots on the same server when you could have each person go to a different server.

That makes sense. Personally, I'd be lest likely to trust a seller on low level alt than one who's mythic tier and set up could be seen in the inspect window... especially since there are so many sellers to choose from. Must work though, otherwise people wouldn't be doing it.
06/06/2018 10:29 AMPosted by Kahthok
Hey kid. I'll double your ISK. Just double press enter on this contract to be sure you're the first one to accept, honest. Does this look like the face of an untrusty stranger to you?

Glowing eyes, blood elf, glaives on your back.
No.
You really think somebody would do that? Just go on trade chat and tell lies!
When it says "player not found" it's because
A. He's on a different realm than you or.
B. His level is too low to show.

Some of these sellers are reputable but you have to do your homework.
06/06/2018 11:49 AMPosted by Warblocked
06/06/2018 10:29 AMPosted by Kahthok

Glowing eyes, blood elf, glaives on your back.
No.

I would trust him sooner than I would a goblin.
If they direct you to any external chat system (Discord, Ventrilo, Skype, Teamspeak, etc...) to make the deal, 99% of the time, it's bad. If they can't or won't discuss the carry terms in-game, then they're shady and you should probably report them just to be safe.

I've seen some guild groups advertise "GOLD ONLY" in their trade chat ads. Those are probably safe, as long as they're willing to talk details in-game.
The take home meassage is:

1) Services for gold are allowed but not supported. Bliz is not an insurance policy for scams.
2) If Bliz determines a scam occured, the scammer will be dealt with via account actions. However, the gold is not returned to the scammee.

So the OP's question: Buyer Beware! If it sounds or feels questionable, best not get involved.

Personally, if the other party won't discuss all the terms in the game chat, where Bliz can see it all, I wouldn't deal with them.
Like with anything you can find reputable carry groups who will give you the service at a fair price and you can find crooks who will cheat you. I've never bought these services, but if I ever did I'd probably go with a known guild with a good reputation as opposed to random people in trade chat.
Short answer: No.

Long answer: Nooooooooooo.
Well yes it can be, with the exception of the following people;

-gold scammers as has been mentioned already.

-The trolls.

Now I know the word 'troll' is subjective, so I will list the kinds of trolls I mean.

1-evil trolls. You know the kind that will insult and make fun of you if you have a recently deceased relative. these people are the true heroes of the devil as they literally have no conscience whatsoever or are so full of hatred at the world for whatever reason.

2-wikipedia trolls. these are the kind of people that will deliberately tell a lie to get attention. I'm guilty of it as i once said 'Blizzard are deleting pandas and demon hunters next expansion' and i swear some people believed me. these people like to spread misinformation to get a reaction and are considered the most dangerous.

3-corporate/political trolls. These people deliberately talk about topics that favour their particular organisation or political party to present them in the best light possible. i have heard Mark Zuckerberg has been passing new rules to disclose online if you from a particular party or corporation and how much money they giving you. they are basically sockpuppets they are trying to convert you to a particular point of view for financial reasons. Some political parties even pay government employees to spread propaganda around.

4-concern trolls. what these people like to do, is deliberately start controversial discussions, even if they are making an argument opposite to the one they believe in. I'm somewhat guilty of that, used reverse psychology promoting the governments anti-welfare rhetoric as it got people talking which I felt at the time was needed. But some take it too far, because they do it just for the lolz .

Like in the movies forum, people could accuse me of being a concern troll when I asked why people hate women in movies as most people know I am NOT a feminist, though that was honestly a legitimate question.

the problem is that because of the 4 types of trolls above, you will often be accused of trolling even if you ask a question that's legitimate to you, people will think you are deliberately playing stupid, and also because of the 4th type, often people that even have the slightest controversial view, even if it's seen as a legitimate part of discussion by most people, many will accuse you of being a troll if you dare say something that's even the slightest bit inflammatory.

so if you watch out for those types of people, then yes, you can trust trade 200%.

People make level 1s to advertise their carries cross realm. So I'm on illidan let's say with a guild ready to do a carry, but I want to advertise to people on many realms so I make many level 1s on different servers, they can give me the gold on their server, and we invite them on our run across realm with the guild or whatever. I think that's how it works.

If there is ever a person who you whisper and they say "go to this site" or their discord I don't think it's insane to report for cheating or language just so blizz has it recorded or is aware "hey this person is probably selling carries for cash". That's just how I look at it though.

Edit: I should add, the last I heard and to the best of my knowledge, carries aren't necessarily something that people get banned for selling for gold, but its not supported either. I've heard that if a seller takes the gold or a partial advance before and doesn't deliver then a GM may take the gold from them, and/or punish them, but the buyer doesn't get their gold back so buyer beware. Or they may not get involved. I can't confirm that 100% or anything, but that's what I've read so take that information as you will.
Lots of people out there are selling real money carries. I've bought 3 carries that were done by people on my server who only take gold, and I've never had a problem.
A lot of the people that sell for gold can generally be trusted. You make a lot more gold by actually doing the service you advertise and getting return buyers than scamming someone once. There are also tools to assist you in analyzing if someone is trustworthy or not. For example, I often link my raider.io page to potential buyers which can show them that the majority of my mythic+ time is spent selling carries which leads them to believe I am legit, which I am.