BFA the race for the best Weapons!

Battle for Azeroth Items and Classes
While on Beta one thing I do is theory craft how to maximize damage ( now that gear matters again ) and didn't realize they changed the formula going into BFA on all attacks to now include weapon damage. Now even my Shield Slam is effected by weapon damage and this change was created to better balance some classes heavily needing weapons and some not.

Overall think it's a good change but now does this mean BFA is the race for weapons? With artifacts gone it is the single most important slot to increase damage. Every weapon roll praying to RNGesus for titanforge and a socket lol.

Going up 10-15 iLvls on Weapon was a pretty big damage increase across the board.

Will LFG be 325 iLvL weapon Dps looking for Healer? Calling it now :)
Thanks for putting this in arena forum instead of general / BFA. We totally needed this *sarcasm*
http://www.wowhead.com/news=281764/battle-for-azeroth-class-abilities-scale-with-attack-power-instead-of-weapon-dam

"In the recent Battle for Azeroth datamining, class abilities that formerly scaled with weapon damage now scale with Attack Power."
06/20/2018 09:04 AMPosted by Rethumx
Thanks for putting this in arena forum instead of general / BFA. We totally needed this *sarcasm*

lmfao
06/20/2018 09:04 AMPosted by Rethumx

It's an Arena topic though as anyone doing Arena will need to acquire weapons first. Pretty sure some PvPers want to know what is going on Beta.
All the change means is that melee will scale with weapons as well as casters did on live.
While on Beta one thing I do is theory craft how to maximize damage ( now that gear matters again ) and didn't realize they changed the formula going into BFA on all attacks to now include weapon damage. Now even my Shield Slam is effected by weapon damage and this change was created to better balance some classes heavily needing weapons and some not.

Overall think it's a good change but now does this mean BFA is the race for weapons? With artifacts gone it is the single most important slot to increase damage. Every weapon roll praying to RNGesus for titanforge and a socket lol.

Going up 10-15 iLvls on Weapon was a pretty big damage increase across the board.

Weapons wont titanforge.
06/20/2018 08:12 PMPosted by Ärithawn

Weapons wont titanforge.

You sure cause my weapon was a green and upgraded to a blue on a drop.
<span class="truncated">...</span>Weapons wont titanforge.

You sure cause my weapon was a green and upgraded to a blue on a drop.

that was your quest item. dungeon and raid weapon drops wont titanforge
06/20/2018 11:58 PMPosted by Phatymcdaddy
Agreed. I'm sure the issue was even addressed in a blue post a while back. While quest items just make a jump in quality (is they do in Legion with 1st tier Order Hall Upgrade), weapon drops will only go so far as warforge. Titanforge is indeed, not a thing for weapons.
06/20/2018 09:21 AMPosted by Jdx
http://www.wowhead.com/news=281764/battle-for-azeroth-class-abilities-scale-with-attack-power-instead-of-weapon-dam

"In the recent Battle for Azeroth datamining, class abilities that formerly scaled with weapon damage now scale with Attack Power."
People seem to read into that Attack Power is the sole coefficient for calculating damage. While it does now include Attack Power, it doesn't completely overshadow Weapon Damage as it's still a very important factor in calculating the damage from abilities.

People should be aware of this fact, as it can be extremely misleading in thinking otherwise. Link for an expanded explanation into how damage is calculated for BFA:
http://www.wowhead.com/news=281913/battle-for-azeroth-new-formula-for-calculating-ability-damage
In short, weapon damage is still a thing, along with attack power for the calculations. You're still going to want upgrade to the best weapons which can now only increase from drops as Warforged.

Hoping this clarified some things ♥
It's because people tend to read the title and not the text. My fault for not coming up with a more descriptive header.

Of course, another reason for the confusion is because people keep seeing ability coefficients which used to say say x% Weapon damage now read x% of Attack power. In truth, they're both misleading - the coefficient wasn't solely based on Attack power or Weapon damage in either case, it's just a multiplier added onto the end of the formula.

Those descriptors are actually a simple naming convention, likely for no other reason than to help the designers keep track of which abilities had/not been changed during the conversion process.

06/20/2018 11:58 PMPosted by Phatymcdaddy
They can, currently, or at least they have on the beta, though we don't know whether that's by oversight or design. My guess: with the aforementioned ability damage changes making weapons more universally, they decided limiting titanforge in BfA was unnecessary. That's only a guess, of course, it could be unintended, or they a decision to limit them to +15 instead of +10. We'll see when we see.
06/21/2018 12:58 AMPosted by Archimtiros
It's because people tend to read the title and not the text.
Ah, the author of a well written article. Title aside, which really isn't your fault others aren't bothered to read past, it was a bloody good delve into how the damage is handled.
Nicely done!
06/21/2018 12:58 AMPosted by Archimtiros
That's only a guess, of course, it could be unintended, or they a decision to limit them to +15 instead of +10. We'll see when we see.
Agreed. It may have been an intentional change since. Those it was a subject they touched on through a Q&A in January:

http://www.wowhead.com/news=281275/liveblog-of-the-january-30-battle-for-azeroth-q-a-with-ion-hazzikostas

Are there thoughts on Titanforged Weapons in BFA?
At the end of the day, the LFR person with an 975 helm, will likely have LFR gear in the rest of their slots which averages out. However, weapons definitely threaten the balance of average because generally a weapon is worth more than other pieces.

The current thinking is to not let weapons Titanforge but only Warforge (+5 item levels)

They also think that Titanforging is too common in Legion.
Again, there's a chance this has changed since.

Edit: It may still be the case for quest rewards for a chance of upgrading from green-blue-maybe purple. I think for this case where the difference between quest rewards and raid drops, there could be some room for increases.
Gear choice will be; Is this new item a higher ilvl, and does it have my desired secondary stat? /end

Next up, Diablo3, 6 button specs.
It will be the same as it always was before Legion. Better than it was in Legion too.

Weapon most important??? Well, yes. Of course.