A letter arrives to the Orgrimmar Embassy...

Wyrmrest Accord
1 2 3 5 Next
It appears printed from a press in Orcish.
I,    Cannibal   , a national of the Horde, solemnly swear that I was born in    Gorgrond ,    Draenor    in  53 BDP  , that I formerly resided in    Razor Hill ,  Durotar   , that I am a national of the Horde by virtue of its formation    .

I desire and hereby make a formal renunciation of my Horde nationality and absolutely and entirely renounce all rights and privileges and all duties and allegiance to fidelity thereunto pertaining. I make this renunciation intentionally, voluntarily and of my own free will, free of any duress of undue influence.

    Cannibal            

The employees seem confused. They have no citizenship renunciation protocol.

Accompanying the more formal letter is a handwritten one, this time in clear Common.
   I've preyed upon the weak. I've slaughtered families. I've plunged my blade into the heart of a man with no thought to his existence. I've suffered myself, but not a fraction of the suffering I've caused others. All my life, I've followed orders and dealt with the guilt, the shame, the remorse and the self-hatred after. A long, long life of sin haunts me every day.

   I thought to atone. To make up for my misdeeds in the most significant way possible. My shift in morals came to a head during Garrosh's reign. Do I stay honor-bound, and follow the orders of yet another tyrant, or do I break free and begin a path of redemption? I chose the latter. I was branded a traitor, a deserter, an honorless scum. I did not care.

   For when I slept that night, I dreamt, for the first time in decades. I saw my wife and my daughter... their smiles... heard their laughs. I cried at their beauty, at their faces I had forgotten. I was enthralled at the inner peace I felt inside me. I felt whole. I felt euphoric. I felt true happiness, for I knew I was doing the right thing.

   A bomb hit our camp that night. The Siege of Orgrimmar began a week later. I rushed into battle, so sure of my place. I fought with a vigor that only a good person could fight with. I knew I was doing what was right. I enjoyed that feeling more than I ever enjoyed my past deeds.

   I had almost forgotten what despair felt like. The weighty sensation of discouragement, of a dark future. I received word of Sylvanas' promotion when I arrived in Stormheim. I vomited. The guilty conscience had returned. The unsettling, unsure, regretful feeling that ate at my insides and stained my thoughts.

   Do I stay honor-bound, and follow the orders of yet another tyrant, or do I break free and continue a path of redemption? I choose the latter. I will be branded a traitor, a deserter, an honorless scum. I do not care.

   For when I sleep tonight, I will dream again. I will see my wife and daughter, smile with them, laugh with them. I will feel true happiness once more, for I know I am doing the right thing.
Rip bannibeans, he's with SPOILERS now
Well written story.

How will this affect your ability to RP the character? Or do you plan to shelve him indefinitely? It must be a difficult decision to make.
06/18/2018 10:04 PMPosted by Enrik
How will this affect your ability to RP the character? Or do you plan to shelve him indefinitely? It must be a difficult decision to make.

It was, quite a bit. Essentially my options were to make him stay with the Horde, something he as a person just wouldn't do for the sake of having more RP, or keep true to his character and deal with more sporadic and generally less RP. I ended up going with the latter.

He'll still be my main and I will still aim for as much RP as I can manage, but in the mean time I'm giving my other characters some more development as they'll be more fitting to the setting, such as my undead pirate.
You are wrong Cannibal, you are an Orc full of honor o7
Weak. Almost pitiful if you weren't a traitor. I would threaten to rip your spine out if you had one.

The Horde shall march onward and secure its future and its prosperity, regardless of what cowards and Alliance swine have to say about it. We shall not give up our prosperity and our freedom simply to appease those in this world outsiders who are offended by the ways we use to rightfully ensure our peoples sovereignty over themselves and their destiny.

You would let the Night Elves starve your women and children in the streets of Orgrimmar for fear of upsetting their delicate sensibilities by gathering the lumber and hunting the game your people need. If the forces of Theramore had driven the Darkspear's enemies from the Echo Isles so long ago and set up a hold there, you would deny the Darkspear their home for fear of upsetting the human's who you hold in higher regard than the Horde.

You would let the Dwarves slaughter a thousand Tauren and dig up every inch of Mulgore for artifacts for fear of having to strike out against the Alliance. You would let the entirety of the Forsaken die out just for the sake of giving the Alliance back lands that are OURS by birthright and by victory over the Scourge. You would light the pyres yourself and help them toss those who had no choice of their fate onto the flames, all for fear of denying the Alliance what they want.

You would lead the charge with Vereesa's High Elves in the slaughter of Blood Elves in a city they had called home for centuries, you would feed them to sharks in the underbelly and bathe in their blood and call it honorable, all because one Blood Elf agent dared to defy your precious Proudmoore. You are not a traitor. You could never be a traitor. For one such as you could never betray that which they had no loyalty to in the first place.

You are weak, and filled with a hatred of yourself and your people. A hatred drilled into your head by some fool notion that a group that would see your wife and child killed like dogs or enslaved like chattel are somehow deserving of your respect and of your mercy. That somehow their objections to how we fight for our own means anything in the face of the prosperity of our brothers and sister.

We are the Horde. We have carved our place in this world with blood and steel from the very beginning. We will see our people prosper no matter the means, we will see our people be sovereign no matter the means, we will see our people be free no matter the means, and we will mercilessly slaughter ALL who would foolishly stand in the way of our rightful future. No matter the means.

Kalimdor belongs to the Horde. Lordaeron belongs to the Horde. Sylvanas will see it so. Long may the Dark Lady reign, as long as she continues to bring us the strength and power to rightfully defend our people's freedom and prosperity.

Glory to the Warchief. Glory to the Horde. And death to Alliance swine like you.

((It's all love <3))
06/18/2018 10:16 PMPosted by Statton
That's the problem with orcish honor, isn't it? It's inconsistent, nobody knows what it really means, and its definition can be adjusted to the whims of an individual depending on how they feel.
Nice job.
As has been pointed out before, the Horde only makes sense if you replace every use of "honor" with "hurt feelings."
06/19/2018 06:21 AMPosted by Azhaar
As has been pointed out before, the Horde only makes sense if you replace every use of "honor" with "hurt feelings."

Careful now. I hear raw materials are in short supply these days but Draenei skulls make fine road building material.
06/19/2018 06:25 AMPosted by Verena
Careful now. I hear raw materials are in short supply these days but Draenei skulls make fine road building material.

Should really use the whole skeleton.
Beautifully written!
That was beautiful. I want to write my own now.
Orcish Honor is more something that Orcs expect other races to behave by. They themselves don't seem to value anything. They're very much against other races practicing slavery, but are fine doing it themselves. They get bent out of shape about other races fighting dirty, but employ scads of assassins themselves.

This, too.

06/19/2018 06:25 AMPosted by Verena

Unfortunately, overuse has rather dulled the edge on this one. I suggest finding a new joke.
06/18/2018 10:24 PMPosted by Koluri
06/18/2018 10:16 PMPosted by Statton
That's the problem with orcish honor, isn't it? It's inconsistent, nobody knows what it really means, and its definition can be adjusted to the whims of an individual depending on how they feel.

It's not inconsistent, really. It means different things to different clans, and as their civilization as a whole is changing, so too are the beliefs on what it means within those clans and to individuals. The Horde as a whole is still a concept only a few decades old canonically, and it's gone through so many radical shifts in power and endgame so rapidly that there is naturally going to be several different camps on how orcish honor is viewed.

So yeah. Not inconsistent. It was never meant to be a single unified belief. Just that every orc believes their view of what honor is to be the only one as a general rule of thumb.

06/19/2018 08:41 AMPosted by Enekie

Unfortunately, overuse has rather dulled the edge on this one. I suggest finding a new joke.

Or perhaps choose not to reply to it or acknowledge it and be an adult?

"Only makes sense if" even though many explanations are given contrary to your condescending explanation in multiple topics across the forum that I have yet to see you adequately reply to. For a supposed writer, you tend to have a narrow viewpoint on how the audience can or should view a story.
Silly orcs would lose a war, dooming their people to death or slavery, as long as they lost with *~honor~*.

The Horde will protect it's people just fine without these cowards. I'm not about to go join those IDIOT USELESS GNOMES just because people didn't jump on their swords to die properly.
It sucks for those of us Orcs who have tried to write our toons as morally good characters yet the stupid writing of Blizzard gives people ammunition to !@#$ all over us. It gets really, really old having to continually say that not all of us are like that and yet it is constantly being thrown in our faces about how "Orcish honor is nonsense" because the %^-*!@# story takes the wind out of our sails at every turn.

EVERY race has its examples of bad guys yet it always seems to come back down on Orcs as the one people point at. There are no innocents left on Azeroth.

It's not inconsistent, really. It means different things to different clans

This is basically the definition of inconsistent, especially since the Orcs don't operate off individual clans anymore.

Criticizing a bad, overused joke isn't adult, but making a bad, overused joke is?

This is entirely too hostile for a thread like this.

Cannibal, I enjoyed this. I appreciate a nuanced perspective from an orc that comes from self-reflection and insight.
06/19/2018 09:03 AMPosted by Borgg
It sucks for those of us Orcs who have tried to write our toons as morally good characters yet the stupid writing of Blizzard gives people ammunition to !@#$ all over us. It gets really, really old having to continually say that not all of us are like that and yet it is constantly being thrown in our faces about how "Orcish honor is nonsense" because the %^-*!@# story takes the wind out of our sails at every turn.

EVERY race has its examples of bad guys yet it always seems to come back down on Orcs as the one people point at. There are no innocents left on Azeroth.
The Dryads are innocent.