Arena inefficiencies...

Arenas
Anyone have those days when you queue 3s and just get like an amazing win/loss record for that queue session (like 15-3, or 10-0 etc...) and then get excited to queue with the same ppl the next day to emulate those results, but then instead get a losing streak with little to no wins?
I always just lose :-[
Lol thats the game. Tough you have to lose almost just as much as you win. That’s why it’s a grind just like everything else in mmo’s
This is very common. My last q session I lost almost 70 cr but the past 5 q sessions before that I had gone up 20-50 each session. Keep playing don’t let CR control your life or your tilt level. You will win and you will lose play the game for fun achievesment and CR will come along with time.
I mean the problem is that when we win, we think that we play "good", but sometimes we avoid to acknowledge that the teams we face and beat during that queue sessions were probably not as good as the teams we lost to on our next queue session(s), which then makes us think we were playing bad.

I guess that's why people say it helps a ton to record your gameplay and peruse it for deeper analysis so you know what to improve on to potentially prevent those same mistakes. It just baffles me to see how some players on ladder have incredible win/loss ratios at glad/r1 range, which I can't help but wonder if they just have some insanely awesome queue sessions, or are they just that perfect with gameplay?
Legion arena is like gambling
You hit it spot on. Record your games. I’ve had sessions where we go up but watching the games i absolutely had some bad globals or cooldown usage but we still won because of an overlap or rng damage. Youd be suprised at how much you missed during games that felt perfect in the moment. Then again hindsight is typically 20/20
also depends on the comps u q against. lock i just hit 2.6 with i q'd with at 2.4 twice. first session gained 60 rating. next session lost 60 back down to 2390. sat down last night for one big queue session and hit 2600, but we got really good comps in this big game of rock papers scissors
Prolly cuz you won 10 in a row and got to a high mmr. Stopped. Then continued on ur mains he next session without warming up on alts. Happens to me too bud. You win some you lose some tho
06/19/2018 07:41 AMPosted by Bowtronz
I mean the problem is that when we win, we think that we play "good", but sometimes we avoid to acknowledge that the teams we face and beat during that queue sessions were probably not as good as the teams we lost to on our next queue session(s), which then makes us think we were playing bad.

I guess that's why people say it helps a ton to record your gameplay and peruse it for deeper analysis so you know what to improve on to potentially prevent those same mistakes. It just baffles me to see how some players on ladder have incredible win/loss ratios at glad/r1 range, which I can't help but wonder if they just have some insanely awesome queue sessions, or are they just that perfect with gameplay?

Yeah it's pretty important to realize when you're getting tons of free wins vs when your wins are actually you playing super well - and of course when your losses really are your fault and when there's not much you can do about it.

This generally means you have to recognize even match ups, comps you counter, and comps that counter you. Then of course the skill level of your opponents and how hard the counters are (i.e even if they are significantly worse you lose no matter what or if you're really bad you win no matter what vs it favoring one side when evenly skilled).

If I'm playing Jungle cleave and losing for example, I know that the match up is almost impossible to win no matter how well we play. We can easily lose to 2200 FPPs, so I don't let losses to that composition stress me out. If I'm aware my team is playing fine I have no reason to mention or talk about the game and let it stress us out. We might do bad in a que session because we're fighting it way more or even at all vs one we don't fight it at all.

However if my jungle team is say fighting a mirror match up, a comp like RMP, WWDK etc., then we'll usually discuss what's going on wrong if we lose or whats going right for us to win. These match ups can go either way (mostly mirrors and WWDK at times) while RMP we'd likely favor until they're playing perfectly. If we're having a good session I'll know we'll be winning these match ups.

Then if we get a session that's say all WMP or something well... we can play poorly and win so looking at a que session and thinking we played well based on just winning that match up doesn't mean too much.

Most high rated players consider a good que session one that they likely fight a variety of challenging match ups and play very well. A bad que session is one where you're losing even match ups, and ones you counter. Neutral is beating comps that you counter or just losing to comps that counter you. Not much to change in those games - so no reason to think about them.

Also if you're really high rated tbh it's easy to stay that way if you want - you can avoid queing into hard counters and only que favorable match ups if you really want.
D:
06/19/2018 08:37 AMPosted by Dillon
06/19/2018 07:41 AMPosted by Bowtronz

Yeah it's pretty important to realize when you're getting tons of free wins vs when your wins are actually you playing super well - and of course when your losses really are your fault and when there's not much you can do about it.

This generally means you have to recognize even match ups, comps you counter, and comps that counter you. Then of course the skill level of your opponents and how hard the counters are (i.e even if they are significantly worse you lose no matter what or if you're really bad you win no matter what vs it favoring one side when evenly skilled).

If I'm playing Jungle cleave and losing for example, I know that the match up is almost impossible to win no matter how well we play. We can easily lose to 2200 FPPs, so I don't let losses to that composition stress me out. If I'm aware my team is playing fine I have no reason to mention or talk about the game and let it stress us out. We might do bad in a que session because we're fighting it way more or even at all vs one we don't fight it at all.

However if my jungle team is say fighting a mirror match up, a comp like RMP, WWDK etc., then we'll usually discuss what's going on wrong if we lose or whats going right for us to win. These match ups can go either way (mostly mirrors and WWDK at times) while RMP we'd likely favor until they're playing perfectly. If we're having a good session I'll know we'll be winning these match ups.

Then if we get a session that's say all WMP or something well... we can play poorly and win so looking at a que session and thinking we played well based on just winning that match up doesn't mean too much.

Most high rated players consider a good que session one that they likely fight a variety of challenging match ups and play very well. A bad que session is one where you're losing even match ups, and ones you counter. Neutral is beating comps that you counter or just losing to comps that counter you. Not much to change in those games - so no reason to think about them.

Also if you're really high rated tbh it's easy to stay that way if you want - you can avoid queing into hard counters and only que favorable match ups if you really want.

Exactly. And this is definitely not new to the game, for it has been the paradigm of WoW arena - excluding the high importance of counter comping and its reliability, which seems to be pervasive this xpac. Its almost like there are so many prominent comps this xpac, and if you don't end up playing one of those your chances at acquiring a win in standard queue session is relatively low. Of course, you see teams playing outlier comps like Kubzy's and Absterge's, but having to prevail consistently as those comps requires impeccable gameplay from players that are profoundly meticulous with their decisions.

Imo, the lack of friendliness/leeway (in terms of arena compositions and fixed class designs) to casual-decent arena players puts a halt to potential variety in the underdog or less-prominent comps which prompts majority of the players to run the comps that are known to be successful in order to snag rating advantageously. For instance, people opt to play !@#, splay, Jungle, Cupid rather than WW/aff, aff/ele, unholy play (dk/spriest), or Hunter/ww because those comps that are popular are deemed to be less demanding in requiring additional insight due to their overall popularity and their precedented gameplay.