GCD- WoW turning into FFXIV

Battle for Azeroth Items and Classes
Seriously, these GCD changes feel ridiculously bad. I know the whole "macro one shot" thing is an issue that Blizzard doesn't want, but with all of these spells on the GCD, a lot of class feel so slow.

The game really feels identical to Final Fantasy 14, and that's not a good thing in my opinion. In Final Fantasy, their main problem was the game felt so slow, and all of my friends who ended up trying the game just couldn't get into it because it was so slow. I fear WoW will end up the same, not with just new players, but returning players as well.

I know we're still in beta and things can still change, but I'm putting in my 2 cents about the GCD to possibly see a change. It just doesn't feel fun with classes being this slow.
This dead horse has been beaten so hard at this point, but what exactly feels extremely different about one or two abilities being different? They didn't change the GCD of 99% of your abilities. Just the cooldowns you use once every 1-3 minutes.

People keep acting like every single ability got affected by the gcd changes--which is probably because their haste is really low now but everyone is blaming the gcd change on it.
its not the gcd in general, its the spells they added to the gcd. i optimize my crusade button press down to the fraction of a second gcd because i get so much haste from it that even half a global is huge, it feels trashy to go from that to waiting on the gcd to finish, using wings, waiting for another gcd to start dps again.
06/19/2018 09:26 PMPosted by Dumb
This dead horse has been beaten so hard at this point, but what exactly feels extremely different about one or two abilities being different? They didn't change the GCD of 99% of your abilities. Just the cooldowns you use once every 1-3 minutes.

People keep acting like every single ability got affected by the gcd changes--which is probably because their haste is really low now but everyone is blaming the gcd change on it.

With the state of Protection Warrior compared to DK/DH/Pal, having Ignore Pain on the GCD is a slap in the face. Any tank that can self heal / sustain will be better than Prot and Brewmaster. Having ignore pain off the GCD would make prot better, it would still be worse than the 3 mentioned but IP is not something you use "every 1-3 minutes".
Having played FFXIV, I can definitely say the GCD changes are the polar opposite of FFXIV. FFXIV has a slower GCD overall, but then throw in a lot of off-GCD abilities to speed up the gameplay. So, FFXIV feels really slow at low levels, but speeds up a lot at max level when you add in all your off-GCD abilities. Not the same as WoW, at all.
06/19/2018 09:48 PMPosted by Diaboliqa
Having played FFXIV, I can definitely say the GCD changes are the polar opposite of FFXIV. FFXIV has a slower GCD overall, but then throw in a lot of off-GCD abilities to speed up the gameplay. So, FFXIV feels really slow at low levels, but speeds up a lot at max level when you add in all your off-GCD abilities. Not the same as WoW, at all.

10000x this! If you've actually played XIV to 70 you'd know it feels totally different than say level 20 when you have like 4 or 5 abilities in your rotation. Heck even at 50 it's not complete these days.

Between 50-70 classes change pretty dramatically in XIV and they're a lot more fun and engaging to play at 70 with all your abilities. There are tons of off GCD abilities that speed things up (and not just CDs that increase damage).

I think people are stuck on vanilla and ARR XIV when they think of their combat system but it's changed over the years and it's actually a lot better and imo more enjoyable than a lot of specs in WoW. WoW is doing WoW things and it's no where near XIV in terms of how the GCDs and oGCD work. XIV has tons of oGCD abilities that help with the pacing of combat.
FF14 has still yet to master all their latency issues. I'm convinced a big part of the reason for the excessively long GCD and other combat delays is because of that.

It's not even just the GCD over there. In fights, enemies will literally freeze as you enter combat to give you time to cast whatever or, more likely for your high latency client to catch-up with the fact that combat has even been triggered in the first place.

Barring some of the old DDoS attacks, WoW's combat has never been anything like that, at least not since I joined in Cata.
This dead horse has been beaten so hard at this point

You think it’s a dead horse now? Just wait til we actually get past the testing phase the game is in and feedback hits the GD forum.

To be fair though I feel this change on certain classes/specs more than others. Doesn’t make much of a difference on my Warlock.
I actually play both games.

With the changes, FFXIV has more off the GCD abilities than WoW.
The GCD change perspective isn't being helped by the fact gear is being gimped. We're going from end of expansion gods to slowing down to a crawl and the GCD change is just the most visible symptom.
No matter how much I play the beta, the GCD feels like crap. It is the only real complaint I have with this expac, just sucks to constantly have to re-hammer keys due to muscle memory being off.

At some point I hope it settles to where it feels normal. But it's tough. I am starting to think I might not be able to adjust to it.
06/20/2018 08:18 AMPosted by Pew
With the changes, FFXIV has more off the GCD abilities than WoW.

Actually that might be true for casters. I can't compare melee in both games, however.

And even if that is objectively true, let's not minimize the MUCH longer GCD and combat delays in that other game.
06/19/2018 09:12 PMPosted by Silversv
The game really feels identical to Final Fantasy 14, and that's not a good thing in my opinion.
You've clearly not played Final Fantasy 14 for any amount of time.

I didn't like the GCD changes either, although it's been made considerably more palatable by condensing previously macrod cooldowns down into 1-2 buttons. I also still hate that mobility & defensives like Charge and Rally are on GCD, but to call it similar to FF14 is downright inaccurate.

FF14 has a significantly longer main GCD, and more off-GCD abilities than WoW has ever had.
FFXIV also is designed around giving players time to react with warning indicators for attacks. This makes the pace feel a bit slower as well.