Do 10% own 90% of the gold

General Discussion
06/22/2018 05:29 AMPosted by Stõrmy
I was wondering if WoW is like real life where the wealthiest 10% of the players own 90% of the gold. I suspect this is true.

No, people are generally much more rich in Wow.

In real life I'm almost living paycheck to paycheck, at 51, only being able to afford an apartment. I still have some debt to fix after my marriage and divorce.

In game, I easily have 200,000 on this character (after buying every mount/toy you could buy on the AH), 400,000 on my dk and 28,000 on my newly 110 priest. If there was such a thing in Wow, we could "retire" and want for nothing forever.

If real life was like Wow, no one would be actually "poor." Sure, you'd have some millionaires/billionaires, but the average person would have a $400,000 house and never have to work again. This would be with minimal effort.
How much debt does the average WoW character carry? And is that for EACH character, or spread equally across all alts?

My, my! So MUCH research, so little time ...
06/22/2018 06:26 AMPosted by Minicuts
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Sucks if the ingredients are being horded and opportunities to earn them are sparse though.

Uhm, the ingredients . . are. . . . . right there . . . . . . in that mining node.
you mean the node that i just stole from right under your nose?
I am a thousandaire.

What?
06/22/2018 06:56 AMPosted by Withpuppys

You can't "steal" nodes anymore.
Azeroth will always be in turmoil as long as we only have two choices. It is time for a third faction.
Something is rotten in Denmark.
IRL I want to walk into a store and throw a sack full of withered plant parts, chunks of animal flesh, and other trash I found on the way onto the counter and demand money. That seems much more fun than staring at spreadsheets for money.
06/22/2018 06:10 AMPosted by Hobimpitt
Technically Blizzard owns 100% of the following - gold in the game, gold that used to be in the game, and any future amount of gold that will be in the game. They just let us play pretend economies with it while we hand them actual money.

So it *is* like real life - where all our American "money" is simply a fantasy coin not redeemable in real gold or silver.

Thanks, Nixon (for taking the US off the gold standard). Now, the US dollar is only worth whatever the collective thinks it worth. And whats that? 19% of what it was worth when we went off the gold standard - despite promises by Nixon that it wouldn't lose value.

Thats Republican promises for ya.

Uhm, the ingredients . . are. . . . . right there . . . . . . in that mining node.

You can't steal nodes any more. They can be tapped multiple times.
This thread makes my head hurt. It's too early for economic theory and I have a headache anyway. But to summarize, WoW is not real. Trust me on this. It's not. Trying to apply real world economic policy to it just won't work.

(puts out a small tray of cookies because I'm too tired to put out more in this thread)
06/22/2018 05:45 AMPosted by Spy
Even in WoW, wealth is not a zero sum game.

But the distribution can make inflation an incredible problem for those not at the top.
06/22/2018 06:10 AMPosted by Hobimpitt
Technically Blizzard owns 100% of the following - gold in the game, gold that used to be in the game, and any future amount of gold that will be in the game. They just let us play pretend economies with it while we hand them actual money.

What about when somebody buys game time or adds funds to their Blizzard wallet in lieu of using real money?
06/22/2018 07:06 AMPosted by Drell
...you mean the node that i just stole from right under your nose?

You can't steal nodes any more. They can be tapped multiple times.
you underestimate my powers! where there is a will there is a way.
It's not that big a spread after Legion. So many of the rich players bought so many carries and such for mounts/Tmog.

Raiders have more gold now
06/22/2018 05:29 AMPosted by Stõrmy
I was wondering if WoW is like real life where the wealthiest 10% of the players own 90% of the gold. I suspect this is true.

they don't have 90% of mine..

=P
06/22/2018 07:26 AMPosted by Drezwazluz
It's not that big a spread after Legion. So many of the rich players bought so many carries and such for mounts/Tmog.

Raiders have more gold now

They do but they spend it, so it ends up with the same horders.

The horders don't spend gold much, besides to reinvest. Most gold to raiders come from average players who spend as gold comes in or as they meet some goal.

I know players who are gold capped on 5 toons. The only time they spend money is if it will make more money.

I am by no means poor in wow, but I spend it on TCG mounts and other limited items. M+ sales though are easy gold income.
06/22/2018 06:30 AMPosted by Weimar
06/22/2018 06:25 AMPosted by Aelandaelm
Sucks if the ingredients are being horded and opportunities to earn them are sparse though.

Sounds like you've drunk the victim kool aid.

Ironic, considering the ingredients owners put that narrative into your head.
06/22/2018 07:35 AMPosted by Asmonparse
hey do but they spend it, so it ends up with the same horders.

The horders don't spend gold much, besides to reinvest. Most gold to raiders come from average players who spend as gold comes in or as they meet some goal.

I know players who are gold capped on 5 toons. The only time they spend money is if it will make more money.

I am by no means poor in wow, but I spend it on TCG mounts and other limited items. M+ sales though are easy gold income.

That is subjective, you know, not an absolute?
IRL you have to get permission to make money. You have to qualify for jobs/careers. You have to go to school and get various degrees/certifications/training.

In WoW, there is no such discrimination for most things concerning making gold. Anyone can do world quests and mission tables and learn professions. It's easier to craft things when you already have a lot of gold, sure.

The rich in WoW will get rich quicker than the poor in WoW but unlike real life, all it takes is effort in WoW.