Why are PuGs so Impatient/Toxic?

General Discussion
1 2 3 6 Next
Title. I've been playing Warcraft for over 13 years. I've done literal thousands of PuGs in that time. Every now and then you get groups that communicate well, are generally pleasant, and even (gasp) make friends.

This probably sounds strange to many of you, because it is the sad minority. The reality of running dungeons with strangers, is that most of them are rude, incommunicative, and act as if any delay to their dungeon clears is a matter of life and death.

I've tried to teach people. Some of them are receptive. I level a lot of alts and enjoy clicking that little flag and teaching people boss mechanics, basic game mechanics and the like, but without fail, there's usually at least one person who takes umbrage with this.

Whether it's a snide comment about the new player's lack of skill, an outright insult, or just a vote-kick without even attempting to communicate, these players are downright hostile to anybody who needs some extra time/help to understand the game.

I've seen this behavior in brand new level 15 parties. Come on guys, give them a chance.

And I get where this comes from, somewhat. I've played each of these dungeons a hundred times or more, I get that you might be bored and just want to level up quickly. But that's really no excuse for being rude and/or hostile to new and learning players.

I've seen this kind of toxicity actively turn people off of the game, and I really wonder why it's so tolerated. Especially with Blizzard taking steps to combat similar behavior in their other games.

I'm kind of starting to think they should start enforcing better behavior in PuGs and LFR, or at least start putting people who abuse the kick feature in their own special queue.

What do you guys think? Are the majority of PuG players toxic/impatient? Is it just certain servers? Is there another reason for it besides just leveling fatigue? Is that a good enough excuse? What do you think?

(Note: Of course I'm not talking about Challenge/Mythic Dungeons where the expectation is to do it quickly and competently.)

Proposed Solutions:
-Blizzard taking a more active stance on policing Toxicity in PuGs.
-Implementation of a reward system for good behavior. (FFXIV Commendations/Mounts)
The reason why PuGs are toxic and Impatient is because the "modern" wow player wants to obtain everything fast and now with little effort. Why do you think the blues have been making the game more casual friendly?
My experience with leveling alts and running dungeons is that most people aren't communicative enough to be toxic.

It's a chatty group if any of them say hello.
Because that's the only way they can find fulfillment in life. Kind of sad really. Playing with people you don't know pretty much guarentees it'll take longer than normal. People just have no self-control or reasonable sensibility of the other people they have to interact with. The best we can do is report them and move on, but it's unlikely action will be taken and they'll continue on their path of misery and self-loathing.

06/25/2018 05:07 PMPosted by Cyonan
My experience with leveling alts and running dungeons is that most people aren't communicative enough to be toxic.

It's a chatty group if any of them say hello.

You're pretty lucky then.
Lack of consequences simple as that.

Its also the minor disadvantage of group finder and crz. It easy to get groups , its easy to remain anonymous.

I don't even remember the players i was with in my last pug, let alone how they behaved lol.
Did a PUG For Upper Kara today. Going up the stairs it was evident the Healer and one of the DPS was on their first time. They got lost, fell off the stairs... Heck, the Healz was a Druid but couldn't keep up, even as a kitty.

Our Tank immediately slowed his pace. He made sure to wait clearly outside of Boss range for them to catch up. We delayed at the cut scenes for everyone to finish. No one shouted or whined. Tank did gear up and sprint when we finally got to the end, but even then he made sure everyone was in before he started.

It was refreshing. Took us maybe three minutes longer than usual. I sent the Tank a thank you note. Even though it was old stuff for me, it as nice to see people not lose their minds over three minutes.
There's certain situations where people can be rightfully impatient. When someone is constantly going afk, or waiting 10-20 seconds before every single trash pull, then yes, someone is going to say something.

But if someone is new and is learning, I've noticed that most people will pick up on that and either slow the pace or watch what they're standing in.
Because Blizzards current right click report system is ineffective and only works with mob mentality in groups of 10+ players, and often gets abused more than it helps.
For raids, at least currently, people tend to be impatient if they've been clearing heroic for 20-30 weeks, and mythic for 10-15 weeks.

For dungeons, it depends on the dungeon and the situation. Sometimes, it's understandable. Other times, they're just being unreasonable. And other times, they can be taking things out on you. Never know what's going on from the other end.
You sound like one of those types who waste people's time and when they mention it you freak out screaming "IT'S NOT A LIFE OR DEATH SITUATION IT'S JUST A GAME!!!" Just an FYI, everyone hates those people because they are inconsiderate.
06/25/2018 05:04 PMPosted by Velasmus
Title. I've been playing Warcraft for over 13 years. I've done literal thousands of PuGs in that time. Every now and then you get groups that communicate well, are generally pleasant, and even (gasp) make friends.

This probably sounds strange to many of you, because it is the sad minority. The reality of running dungeons with strangers, is that most of them are rude, incommunicative, and act as if any delay to their dungeon clears is a matter of life and death.

I've tried to teach people. Some of them are receptive. I level a lot of alts and enjoy clicking that little flag and teaching people boss mechanics, basic game mechanics and the like, but without fail, there's usually at least one person who takes umbrage with this.

Whether it's a snide comment about the new player's lack of skill, an outright insult, or just a vote-kick without even attempting to communicate, these players are downright hostile to anybody who needs some extra time/help to understand the game.

I've seen this behavior in brand new level 15 parties. Come on guys, give them a chance.

And I get where this comes from, somewhat. I've played each of these dungeons a hundred times or more, I get that you might be bored and just want to level up quickly. But that's really no excuse for being rude and/or hostile to new and learning players.

I've seen this kind of toxicity actively turn people off of the game, and I really wonder why it's so tolerated. Especially with Blizzard taking steps to combat similar behavior in their other games.

I'm kind of starting to think they should start enforcing better behavior in PuGs and LFR, or at least start putting people who abuse the kick feature in their own special queue.

What do you guys think? Are the majority of PuG players toxic/impatient? Is it just certain servers? Is there another reason for it besides just leveling fatigue? Is that a good enough excuse? What do you think?

(Note: Of course I'm not talking about Challenge/Mythic Dungeons where the expectation is to do it quickly and competently.)

What makes you think people want your 'training' ? I can see how others might consider you are being 'toxic' (what a stupid word that is btw) depending on how you approach them.
06/25/2018 05:36 PMPosted by Verbatim
You sound like one of those types who waste people's time and when they mention it you freak out screaming "IT'S NOT A LIFE OR DEATH SITUATION IT'S JUST A GAME!!!" Just an FYI, everyone hates those people because they are inconsiderate.

Not sure how you got any of that from the OP. Seems to me like you're part of the problem.
06/25/2018 05:39 PMPosted by Amine

What makes you think people want your 'training' ? I can see how others might consider you are being 'toxic' (what a stupid word that is btw) depending on how you approach them.

Thank you for demonstrating.
Over time the game has become more oriented to gearing and endgame, so people can tend to focus on outcomes instead of process. That will tend to make them impatient and therefore sometimes nasty and rude.

I miss the pace of the original game but I don't think anything can capture that again. That's why I think there will be a lot of disappointed and sad people who buy Classic.

Not sure how you got any of that from the OP. Seems to me like you're part of the problem.

What an irrelevant reply.

If that's toxic to you then you need to get off the internet.
06/25/2018 05:04 PMPosted by Velasmus
The reality of running dungeons with strangers, is that most of them are rude, incommunicative, and act as if any delay to their dungeon clears is a matter of life and death.

I call those "rush-ahead" people. And before the 7.3.5 changes, most runs were like that. I stopped healing a couple years ago, for that single reason.

But 7.3.5 changed a lot. Level 15 dungeons needed healing! Most tanks figured it out the FIRST time the whole group wiped to too many trash mobs.

After the 7.3.5 changes I started 5 new healers, to learn dungeon healing on all healing classes. I did about 160 dungeon runs (level 20 to 60). In those 160 runs:

1. there were ZERO rude comments, by anyone, to anyone. There were zero comments "go faster" or "keep up", by anyone.

2. There were 2 dps kicked by the tank (after a warning) for pulling more mobs than the tank wanted to pull.

3. Most groups were uncommunicative. Most runs had no comments by anyone.

4. In 160 runs, I only had 6 runs with "rush-ahead" tanks like you describe. And even those didn't make toxic remarks if I couldn't keep up. Yes, they all wiped. They seemed to expect that.

I don't know how long this change lasted, or will last. And I don't know if it's the same above level 60 (I only did 5 MoP dungeons: those groups were nice too).
There's a ton of gray area you're kinda covering up OP. For example, suppose the tank stands in front of a pack for 10-20 seconds before pulling every time. Is he texting? Is he finding his buttons? I'd probably say something like "can you please pull faster", and if he doesn't, honestly I'd consider it wasting 4 people's time, unless he had a very good reason. Honestly I think that wasting 4 people's time to accommodate one person is often a bad trade off, unless the one person has a very good reason to need extra time.
06/25/2018 05:46 PMPosted by Verbatim

What an irrelevant reply.

If that's toxic to you then you need to get off the internet.

Lol? Your entire comment was irrelevant. I feel bad for you.

I don't see any problem with teaching people encounters if they're having trouble.
06/25/2018 05:07 PMPosted by Chilayllenn
The reason why PuGs are toxic and Impatient is because the "modern" wow player wants to obtain everything fast and now with little effort. Why do you think the blues have been making the game more casual friendly?

The reason why PuGs are toxic and impatient is because they want to be like this person.
Personally, I think the implementation of cross-realming is the principal cause. Before, when servers were closed communities, they policed themselves in regards to bad behavior. I wish we had that back.