So... Why was Sargeras in the atmosphere?

General Discussion
For more context, a theory I held before Chronicle “ordered” the WarCraft canon was that the reason the Burning Legion couldn’t find their master post-Medivh was because he never left Azeroth. The thought was that he was using a subtle influence (not something WarCraft has done post-WCIII, see Deathwing) to corrupt and guide the races of Azeroth to sone kind of grand scheme.

And if you disregard the middle bits, going directly from Medivh's death to that unbound essence being extracted from Azeroth, it actually makes sense.

It’s at the point where I can’t tell if things are being under explained or over explained. All I know is that the pieces we’ve been given don’t mesh well.
We are mere mortals attempting to comprehend the projections into our reality of transdimensional cosmic entities. Our limited senses do not extend across enough realms to truely comprehend the full glory of a titan.

Whether Sargeras is a formless shadow upon the world, a haunting disembodied voice in fire or giant stabbing down from space, these are all merely different angles for perceiving the same entity that has been assaulting us all along.
Now that he's back in the atmosphere, he's afraid that we might think of him as, plain ol' Jane, told a story about a man who was too afraid to fly so he never did land.
07/02/2018 03:51 PMPosted by Zuluhed
1. Medivh dies with Sargeras’ soul. Lost in the Nether, Kil’jaeden assumes command.

Only a small portion of Sargeras' soul was possessing Medivh.

"The Scepter of Sargeras was a marvel of arcane and fel sorcery, an instrument fit for a titan. It could lacerate the connective tissue of the physical universe, opening portals to any realm Sargeras desired, yet the rifts it created would allow only a portion of his soul to enter. It was a minor setback. Sargeras would simply have to be more inventive with his plans. And so, he waited.

Millennia later, Sargeras saw his opportunity. The Guardian Aegwynn had become the most powerful mage on Azeroth, and not even the Council of Tirisfal could control her. Her pride made her a fine candidate for corruption. Sargeras could not infiltrate Azeroth in his most lethal form, but perhaps he could use the rebellious Guardian as a vessel for his machinations."

Source: https://wow.gamepedia.com/Tome_of_Blighted_Implements

Later Aegwynn gave birth to Medivh and that small portion of Sargeras' soul possessed him.
07/02/2018 02:24 PMPosted by Mortis
He was trying to corrupt the Titan Azeroth like he did with Argus the Unmaker.

The whole point of the Burning Legion is to convert or kill every living being on the universe into Demons so that the Void Lords can't use anyone to eat the Universe.

Sargeras figures that a dead universe is better than no universe.

As such, nascent Titans are a priority. The Void Lords can corrupt them and once a Void Titan is born, it will be unstoppable.

Combine that with the fact that Azeroth is destined to be the strongest Titan ever...

No? Read Chronicles. He wanted to *KILL* Azeroth, not corrupt her.

He feared her because of how strong she will be. He did not want the Void Lords to get her.

So the fact he was right next to Azeroth (despite countless references in game and in books stating that Sargeras could never find Azeroth), just made zero sense.
it was

cloud storage
07/02/2018 04:19 PMPosted by Maizou
No? Read Chronicles. He wanted to *KILL* Azeroth, not corrupt her.

You're wrong.

This is post-chronicle Legion lore:

"The Scepter of Sargeras is known for the gleaming jewel that adorns its apex. Many theorize that it represents Sargeras's baleful eye, which caught only a glimpse of Azeroth before the fallen titan was ripped back to the Twisting Nether. But the truth is far different.

Soon after the War of the Ancients, Sargeras had a vision: the Well of Eternity imploded once again, but this time, it dragged him down to the very core of Azeroth. He was there for only an instant, but in that moment, he saw Azeroth's slumbering world-soul--and in that moment, the world-soul opened one eye and gazed at the Dark Titan. He was enraptured.

Since then, the eye of Azeroth's world-soul has not been far from his thoughts. He commanded the eredar who forged the scepter to crown it with that lone, wondrous orb. Next to it, the eredar placed two nathrezim wings, a testament to Sargeras's conception of the world-soul: corrupted, demonic, and most importantly, his."

Yes. Sargeras had a crush on a girl that wasn't even born yet.

Only when he realized he couldn't corrupt her, he decided to kill her. Because a dead Azeroth is better than one taken by the Void in his eyes.
07/02/2018 03:33 PMPosted by Zuluhed
So you’re saying we don’t know, other than boundless speculation? You don’t need to defend the gaps - I was just wondering if this gap had been elaborated on in a source I had not been exposed to. Apparently not.

Thanks for the help! Hopefully we get an actual answer, since the question of whether or not Sargeras was even capable of returning was a huge question for a long time.
It's not exactly speculation. We know the major points of what he was, where he was, that he finally found us and assaulted our world and was ultimately stopped.

I'm not trying to defend it. Apologies if it came across that way. As a writer, I tend to look at things from a storyline perspective and the timelines. Since time passes differently in the Nether and the details of when KJ contacted him weren't important to further our storyline, it just didn't seem like something important enough to specifically mention somewhere.

There's quite a lot of things in all sorts of storylines that end up with minor details like that not being filled in. Video game storylines tend to follow a similar pattern as movies, where they want to keep things moving in a certain fashion and choose not to cover some things in order to keep that pace.

Also keep in mind that Sargeras was using avatars and his mind to try to find Azeroth. Not himself. He could never pinpoint where Azeroth was. So while we stopped his attempts at using avatars and his mind, it doesn't necessarily mean he was weakened that entire time. He found us because of the portal connected from Azeroth to Argus, thanks to the Keystone. He thought he had won, because Illidan opened a welcome door for him. But Sargeras could never open a portal or find his way to us across the expanse of the universe before that. He could reach out through his mind and his avatar in hopes of finding us and creating that connection.
I always feel like, cloud sargy's watching me.
07/02/2018 04:18 PMPosted by Mortis
07/02/2018 03:51 PMPosted by Zuluhed
1. Medivh dies with Sargeras’ soul. Lost in the Nether, Kil’jaeden assumes command.

Only a small portion of Sargeras' soul was possessing Medivh.

"The Scepter of Sargeras was a marvel of arcane and fel sorcery, an instrument fit for a titan. It could lacerate the connective tissue of the physical universe, opening portals to any realm Sargeras desired, yet the rifts it created would allow only a portion of his soul to enter. It was a minor setback. Sargeras would simply have to be more inventive with his plans. And so, he waited.

Millennia later, Sargeras saw his opportunity. The Guardian Aegwynn had become the most powerful mage on Azeroth, and not even the Council of Tirisfal could control her. Her pride made her a fine candidate for corruption. Sargeras could not infiltrate Azeroth in his most lethal form, but perhaps he could use the rebellious Guardian as a vessel for his machinations."

Source: https://wow.gamepedia.com/Tome_of_Blighted_Implements

Later Aegwynn gave birth to Medivh and that small portion of Sargeras' soul possessed him.
Ah, a retcon, then? It begins to mesh a little better.
I felt like we were interrupting an intimate moment between two lovers. Sargeras's anguished expression when we pull him away before he can get to second base will forever haunt my dreams. He looked so devastated. Worst wingmen ever.
The thing that it doesn't show is Sargeras decending from argus or the cloud at least. Until after you defeat Argus. Why not show more cinematics before the patheon battle? It talks of the rebirth but other then seeing a talking flame. Nothing really makes sense. There's holes in that have been left unfilled.
07/02/2018 02:19 PMPosted by Zuluhed
I consider myself to be well versed in WarCraft lore (at least up to Cataclysm or so), but I haven’t been to follow the content outside the game that much these days.

I recall a bit of confusion - my own included - over Sargeras being yanked by the Titans out of Azeroth itself. Or clouds near it. Or something.

Now that the dust has settled... was this ever explained adequately?

Those clouds were sargeras. Titans in their natural form are essentially space dust. The humanoid forms we know them as are the forms they choose to take.
07/02/2018 04:24 PMPosted by Mortis

Good work on them putting out a WoW bible sort of book only to almost immediately retcon several parts of it.
07/02/2018 07:04 PMPosted by Rankin

Good work on them putting out a WoW bible sort of book only to almost immediately retcon several parts of it.

It's not a retcon.

Bazillions of years ago Sargeras wanted to kill Azeroth. 10000 years ago he actually met her and fel in love. So now he wanted to corrupt her if possible.

Sargeras was originally planning on killing Azeroth until he saw her and fell in love. So he changed plans and wanted to corrupt her before the void could. That is not a retcon.

A retcon would be if Sargeras wanted to corrupt her from the beginning. That is not the case, as it was after the war of the ancients that he changed his motives. A character changing motives etc is not retconning, it is called character development.
That's no ordinary cloud, that's Sargeras smoking some of the good stuff.
Masterfully debating while gazing upon Azeroth.
07/02/2018 05:52 PMPosted by Flikdurklek
07/02/2018 02:19 PMPosted by Zuluhed
I consider myself to be well versed in WarCraft lore (at least up to Cataclysm or so), but I haven’t been to follow the content outside the game that much these days.

I recall a bit of confusion - my own included - over Sargeras being yanked by the Titans out of Azeroth itself. Or clouds near it. Or something.

Now that the dust has settled... was this ever explained adequately?

Those clouds were sargeras. Titans in their natural form are essentially space dust. The humanoid forms we know them as are the forms they choose to take.

Mind. Blown.

07/02/2018 07:19 PMPosted by Mortis

It's not a retcon.

Bazillions of years ago Sargeras wanted to kill Azeroth. 10000 years ago he actually met her and fel in love. So now he wanted to corrupt her if possible.

What if Azeroth awakes and..........redeems him by loving him?
07/02/2018 07:19 PMPosted by Mortis
fel in love

Pun intended?

Anyways, even if he did want to kill her the Destro artifact lore makes it clear that he's enraptured with her, so he might have shown up ready to kill her and then...just kind of ogled her for a while until suddenly "OH!@#$ I'M BEING PULLED BACK!" *resumes plan to kill Azeroth*.