Do the sentient Artifacts... Die?

General Discussion
I was wondering about artifacts like Aluneth, Xal'atath and The Skull of the Man'ari (Thal'kiel) from a lore perspective after they get burned out. These guys and gals have been chatting with us through the whole of Legion and some players have even grown fond of them.

So my question is... do they die when the artifacts get burned out? Do their sentiences survive and stay within the burned out weapon? Do they survive but leave to some unknown plane or maybe inhabit another powerful object?

I haven't found any official lore on the subject but I'm also open to hearing player speculation as well!
06/28/2018 02:03 PMPosted by Nicodemùs
I was wondering about artifacts like Aluneth, Xal'atath and The Skull of the Man'ari (Thal'kiel) from a lore perspective after they get burned out. These guys and gals have been chatting with us through the whole of Legion and some players have even grown fond of them.

So my question is... do they die when the artifacts get burned out? Do their sentiences survive and stay within the burned out weapon? Do they survive but leave to some unknown plane or maybe inhabit another powerful object?

I haven't found any official lore on the subject but I'm also open to hearing player speculation as well!

Well it seems like they'll continue in the burned weapons. They were alive in the weapons before- well... except Aluneth, technically, since he was like... captured into it or something, but they should just continue as normal before getting empowered with all of the stuff.
I think it would be a nice touch if they got enough energy to grow new bodies and become NPCs.

So we could have a Tal'kiel Eredar NPC in the Dreadscar Rift, a Xal'atath tentacle lady in the Netherlight Temple's shadow room, the Arcane Elemental Aluneth in the Hall of the Guardian and Hati in that funny Hunter lodge.
06/28/2018 02:05 PMPosted by Mortis
I think it would be a nice touch if they got enough energy to grow new bodies and become NPCs.

So we could have a Tal'kiel Eredar NPC in the Dreadscar Rift, a Xal'atath tentacle lady in the Netherlight Temple's shadow room, the Arcane Elemental Aluneth in the Hall of the Guardian and Hati in that funny Hunter lodge.

I like this suggestion!
06/28/2018 02:07 PMPosted by Nicodemùs
I like this suggestion!

Ummm... have you heard the Arcane Mage weapon?

He's nuts.
06/28/2018 02:38 PMPosted by Crepe
I like this suggestion!

He's nuts.

I find Aluneth quite entertaining :) I'd hate for him to be completely gone.

If nothing else I'd love a toy that gives us a buff that allows us to hear the comments and dialogue from our sentient artifacts from time to time.
06/28/2018 03:59 PMPosted by Nicodemùs
If nothing else I'd love a toy that gives us a buff that allows us to hear the comments and dialogue from our sentient artifacts from time to time.
Um. You want a toy that will make you sanity challenged?
I've been wondering that, too.

Sure, he's an arcane elemental that mostly just likes power and destroying stuff (presumably to make something else?) but I don't want to kill him.

I mean, he's not exactly my buddy, since I trapped him in this staff (I guess he sees the world more this way than in the Nexus...), but I like him. And he doesn't seem to dislike me.

Sure he likes power, but Sargeras' sword? He got all save-the-world in the Argus raid, not sure that he'd be okay with going out via corruption like this.
06/28/2018 02:05 PMPosted by Mortis

Uh.

Xal'arath is either a part of Y'shaarj, or a different, unique Old God in her own right. Xal'arath suddenly free to do as she likes isn't really background NPC material (whether or not she'll just back N'zoth, or pursue her own, possibly conflicting agenda, since he might've helped kill her once).

Of course, treating that knife as just another artifact in this situation was always a problem. We should probably keep it weeeeeell away from the Scar and the Sword.
The sentient artifacts go to hang out with Hati.

=**(
06/28/2018 02:38 PMPosted by Crepe
I like this suggestion!

He's nuts.

Arrogant, condescending, probably oblivious to mortal frailty, yes. Nuts, no.
I find it increasingly suspicious that Xal'atath is completely silent when you absorb all that power. Not a peep.

I have a theory that she has already abandoned the priest, and left them with a convincing replica in her place.

When you read Ogmot's dream journal in Silithus, he mentions a dagger that spoke to him and told him he needed to get drowned to hear the master's voices again. Only dagger i know with a proclivity for whispering madness is Xal'atath, and she is supposed to be with the priest.

I have a feeling she's on the move.