One thing I’m fairly concerned about..

Classic Discussion
With everything that’s going on with them back porting the game from the newer game files, I think it’s pretty safe to assume that there will be an extensive alpha/beta period for the game. One thing I’m concerned with is raid tuning, as I’ve stated many times before. I’m sure that the raids will be too difficult in beta and then players asking it to be down tuned. In my personal opinion, it’s better to have the raids to hard than to easy. I think players will largely influence this during beta and with as many people who have played pservers im afraid the tuning will be off or just to damn easy.
Not being a expert programing jeewizz smarty pants person but aren't they in simple terms just updating the old program/format to match the newer version which we play on? So it won't crash and we can play the game.

If that's the case then with everything else will be exactly the same and then why would they need to retune anything?
No they are stripping back the newer version down to classic.. including restoring all the old artwork and animations
06/28/2018 09:59 PMPosted by Laidtorest
With everything that’s going on with them back porting the game from the newer game files, I think it’s pretty safe to assume that there will be an extensive alpha/beta period for the game. One thing I’m concerned with is raid tuning, as I’ve stated many times before. I’m sure that the raids will be too difficult in beta and then players asking it to be down tuned. In my personal opinion, it’s better to have the raids to hard than to easy. I think players will largely influence this during beta and with as many people who have played pservers im afraid the tuning will be off or just to damn easy.

They're tossing out the BFA data files and adapting the vanilla data to work, but it does not come with out work.

Sounds, graphics, animations, etc, that's the vanilla you see.

However it sounds like there's some compatibility issues between original art / graphics / animations and the modern client because they would not do the work unless it's required.

In your PC if you have a copy of any of the 1.x series, then you have a copy of the old client data (at that patch), sounds animations, and models and all that.

They could also be building the Classic client from the ground up on the new client architecture. This might actually be the most reliable method because direct data porting could end up with mystery bugs.

Does not mean they would not use the OG client data, but would dismantle it to use that as the template to build the new Classic client with.

That data situation is something I have been thinking about, and I honestly don't know if blizzard changed the order of operations in calculating how things happen in game and how stuff gets "figured" on both the server side and the client side, but sure does seem to me that they should consider looking VERY close at the original order of operations because that dictates how the game will ultimately run.
I’m sure that the raids will be too difficult in beta and then players asking it to be down tuned.

I really doubt that. Vanilla raids are certainly challenging, but considering how much better players are at the game these days and the fact that everyone knows how to do these raids they're not going to be that hard. The hard part is going to be getting forty people with varying schedules to all log in and cooperate.
06/28/2018 10:29 PMPosted by Laidtorest
No they are stripping back the newer version down to classic.. including restoring all the old artwork and animations

No they're not... That would be entirely stupid and impossible.

Unless they actually HAVE the old data of say, the world layout, they're never going to be able to make it look exactly like it was by "repairing" the landscape.

It would be the most idiotic way to go about this.
... In my personal opinion, it’s better to have the raids to hard than to easy...
Agreed.

If it's too hard, they can always nerf the raids later. But if it's too easy, it's too late to buff the encounters. Many raids will have already blown through the encounters and completed them.
06/28/2018 11:53 PMPosted by Tyándra

Unless they actually HAVE the old data of say, the world layout, they're never going to be able to make it look exactly like it was by "repairing" the landscape.

Thats what they are doing though, and yes they have the terrain files.
06/28/2018 11:53 PMPosted by Tyándra

Forgive me i worded/misunderstood what they were saying. They will be using the newer client with all the back end improvements to run the 1.12 game data. Judging by the post for them looking for a person so restore and fix old animations and models would suggest they ran into bugs and issues with running the old data on the new client.
I’m sure that the raids will be too difficult in beta and then players asking it to be down tuned.

If there really will be a beta, and if participants will be chosen at random, then it's quite a valid concern. Vanilla raids are way more difficult for pugs than for guilds. In a guild, you can make sure that classleaders have at least explained everyone what to consume and what to press. Now imagine half of the raiders are playing Vanilla for the first time (in many years). They may indeed have issues - issues which could've been fixed in 10 minutes, but...

But if they give beta-testers good tools to organize themselves in a "guild", the results will be fine.
Agreed. Better to err on the side of being too hard than too easy. That being said, I hope there is no open beta lol.
06/29/2018 07:47 AMPosted by Xanthak
Agreed. Better to err on the side of being too hard than too easy. That being said, I hope there is no open beta lol.

I would imagine it will be an open beta. Time will tell I suppose
06/29/2018 02:23 PMPosted by Laidtorest
06/29/2018 07:47 AMPosted by Xanthak

Yah. I guess we'll see. But do we want input from either extreme? People who have only played Retail and people who only know private servers.

Scary thought.
06/29/2018 06:22 PMPosted by Xanthak
06/29/2018 02:23 PMPosted by Laidtorest

Yah. I guess we'll see. But do we want input from either extreme? People who have only played Retail and people who only know private servers.

Scary thought.

I don't see Blizzard deliberately avoiding feedback from people who have only played on retail servers.
06/29/2018 01:42 AMPosted by Laidtorest
Judging by the post for them looking for a person so restore and fix old animations and models would suggest they ran into bugs and issues with running the old data on the new client.

Yes and they said as much I the water cooler post.