Fullscreen Gone in BFA

General Discussion
1 2 3 26 Next
For those who have not been on the beta or the beta forums Blizzard is killing fullscreen mode in BFA. You can still run in windowed fullscreen but fullscreen option is dead. While there are tons of reasons this is just a dumb idea here are just a few that seem most pressing to me at least.

1) Computers don't devote resources the same way to windowed programs as they do fullscreen programs

2) Computers can alter their behavior when running a fullscreen program. They can turn off notifications, put antivirus into a low resource mode, adjust heat management etc.

3) Gsync users will be forced to run gsync on even on their desktop and turn vsync off globally instead of being able to adjust it in game

4) There are reasons every other AAA developer not only supports fullscreen but enables it by default. A AAA game should be forced to run like a shady free to play browser based game

5) Taking choice away is ALWAYS a bad thing. I know that I like to take direct control of my system and tweak my performance. I bought a PC because I want that level of control. I want options.

6) Color profiles. Many people set up their own custom color profiles, most of these rely of full screen to work properly.

Blizz, if you see this, please, please dont let this change go live.

EDIT: Here is a source confirming this change is intended for those who are too shocked to believe a first party developer would do this on purpose
https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17618254186#post-9

Credit to Charsi for finding this
Strange. Personally, I never used fullscreen, just fullscreen (windowed) because of the problems fullscreen constantly gave me. Each time I tabbed out it would skip out, lag, and black screen. That, or crash. I know a few other posters had said something about this in their technical forum.

However, there has to be more reasons if they're legitimately removing it as an option. The ones I listed above just made me changed it to windowed, which was no problem.
Um that probably going to change because thats just to stupid to not have that options a basic client option like full screen has to always be a option
has to be a bug , that's insanely stupid not to have fullscreen
07/04/2018 11:42 PMPosted by Azraia
Strange. Personally, I never used fullscreen, just fullscreen (windowed) because of the problems fullscreen constantly gave me. Each time I tabbed out it would skip out, lag, and black screen. That, or crash. I know a few other posters had said something about this in their technical forum.

However, there has to be more reasons if they're legitimately removing it as an option. The ones I listed above just made me changed it to windowed, which was no problem.

They are switching to DX12 and it can be hard to make DX12 work right with fullscreen aplications. However, there is no reason Blizz with all their resources should not be able to put in the dev time to make it work. There are plenty of AAA DX12 games on the market and they all have fullscreen.

Besides, why is blizz pushing dx12 so hard on an engine that still only uses one thread?

07/04/2018 11:46 PMPosted by Sneaky
has to be a bug , that's insanely stupid not to have fullscreen

Sadly, not a bug, it is intended
I always use fullscreen and I play on a large TV from a couch.

WTF Blizz
Yeah, I probably won't be doing any raiding if I have to use Windowed, it murders my frame rate. My laptop is only a couple years old but it's not a gaming rig and can't handle group content at high graphics settings.
Nice.
I finally get into group content and Blizz finds a way to make sure I can't continue. If I have to buy a new PC to keep raiding, I'll be letting my sub run out, which will be about 3 months after BfA drops.
Guess we'll see...
07/04/2018 11:47 PMPosted by Zeropointt
Yeah, I probably won't be doing any raiding if I have to use Windowed, it murders my frame rate. My laptop is only a couple years old but it's not a gaming rig and can't handle group content at high graphics settings.
Nice.
I finally get into group content and Blizz finds a way to make sure I can't continue. If I have to buy a new PC to keep raiding, I'll be letting my sub run out, which will be about 3 months after BfA drops.
Guess we'll see...

Im really hoping they decide to reverse this decision. I have never heard of a AAA game launching without dedicated fullscreen support
ITT people complaining about something that is probably a beta bug

lol
07/05/2018 01:11 AMPosted by Looneyluna
ITT people complaining about something that is probably a beta bug

lol
Except it isnt. Blizz has stated its intended. They said that dedicated fullscreen support was removed for "technical reasons".
My games runs far better in windowed fullscreen then in just fullscreen . framerates are better not worse for me and have been since i switched 5 years ago . Shrugs
07/05/2018 01:22 AMPosted by Sulakin
My games runs far better in windowed fullscreen then in just fullscreen . framerates are better not worse for me and have been since i switched 5 years ago . Shrugs
Cool, I had a computer that ran WoW better windowed fullscreen 2 once, it lasted that way for about 1 1/2 years before I had to switch to fullscreen again to get the best performance. Some computers depending on setup and drivers will run wow better that way.... but that is not all or most computers.

Also, you deal with a tiny bit of desktop latency when running a game that way, for some its very noticeable. Lastly, as mentioned before many computers have color profiles, heat profiles or even features like gsync which rely on fullscreen to behave properly.
I can't use that windowed thing my eyes have a rare condition so I need full screen to see fairly clearly. Doesn't windowed also have that annoying AF feature of letting popups come up while you are playing?
07/05/2018 01:26 AMPosted by Briinn
I can't use that windowed thing my eyes have a rare condition so I need full screen to see fairly clearly. Doesn't windowed also have that annoying AF feature of letting popups come up while you are playing?
Yes, that is one of my primary complaints I listed above. When running in windowed fullscreen your computer wont turn off things like notifications. So you would have to manually turn off notifications or completely exit any app with notifications before playing.

On the beta I am constantly getting things like email notifications popping up while playing. Worse, my antivirus doesnt know I am playing a game so I get notifications about that as well. Further my antivirus doesnt go into its low resource mode like it should (anytime I use a fullscreen app) and it takes the opportunity to run background tasks thus lowering performance.
Pretty lazy on their part. Guess this is what happens when you rush an expansion out.
The thing that makes zero sense to me is this: Oh, no fullscreen with DX12. Yeah, that's a thing I read. Oh but wait, I can choose between several DX options right? So that means I should be able to select one that supports fullscreen if I wanted to, right? ...Right??
07/05/2018 01:38 AMPosted by Wolfthorn
The thing that makes zero sense to me is this: Oh, no fullscreen with DX12. Yeah, that's a thing I read. Oh but wait, I can choose between several DX options right? So that means I should be able to select one that supports fullscreen if I wanted to, right? ...Right??
Nope, its disabled for DX11 as well
Its unreal how dumb this is
this needs WAY more attention then its getting if this goes live people who had no idea will riot 1 and 2 MANY players will just flat out leave, i know this seems like one of those "small" things but for many gamers taking away those small choices is much bigger issue then larger problems.
questionable change... i hate fullscreen and never use it, but why remove the options for those who do?

typical blizzard. removing choice as usual.
This could be a little annoying for me.. I play on a 32" curved 1080p display. I run my desktop at 4k super resolution (downscaling 4k to 1080p) as it looks better due to the screen size.

However, i currently run WoW at 1440p super resolution, as when i run it at 1080p while the desktop resolution is set to 4k, the window only shows in the top corner of the screen , whereas any other resolution shows fullscreen properly.

This also mean, afaik, if i run rullscreen windowed, the game will default to 4k for resolution, making it more taxing on my GPU (RX580) which will require me to lower settings to maintain frame rates at the level i desire (generally 45-75 for freesync)....