Fullscreen Gone in BFA

General Discussion
Prev 1 8 9 10 26 Next
Just mirroring again what was stated by Aerythlea on the EU forums but with a little bit of an update.

With DX12 there is no longer a Fullscreen option. Fullscreen(windowed) is essentially the Fullscreen now. This isn't something we changed with WoW necessarily but just how DX12 works now.

We're working on some stuff in the mean time to try to make the transition easier because some of the same settings currently don't exist between Fullscreen and Windowed Fullscreen in the live version of Legion that you're playing now. On the beta now you'll see a lot of options carried over into the sliders such as Gamma, Contrast, and Brightness that currently on Legion don't exist for Windowed Fullscreen.

Currently there shouldn't be too much difference when 8.0 goes live and if there is please let us know so we can look into that.
07/05/2018 03:52 PMPosted by Ythisens
Just mirroring again what was stated by Aerythlea on the EU forums but with a little bit of an update.

With DX12 there is no longer a Fullscreen option. Fullscreen(windowed) is essentially the Fullscreen now. This isn't something we changed with WoW necessarily but just how DX12 works now.

We're working on some stuff in the mean time to try to make the transition easier because some of the same settings currently don't exist between Fullscreen and Windowed Fullscreen in the live version of Legion that you're playing now. On the beta now you'll see a lot of options carried over into the sliders such as Gamma, Contrast, and Brightness that currently on Legion don't exist for Windowed Fullscreen.

Currently there shouldn't be too much difference when 8.0 goes live and if there is please let us know so we can look into that.

1) What about DX11 users?
2) Fullscreen again, enables our computer to alter certain behaviors. I can confirm from my time in both beta and ptr that unless I manually adjust settings I am left with worse performance. I get hit with notifications, my antivirus doesnt auto go into low resource/silent mode, my heat management profiles dont switch into game mode etc. This is a real problem.

Further if you read, there are plenty of responses from people who legit wont be able to continue playing if this option is removed.

Context.

Thanks!

Huh. Okay, that at least explains the why of this entire situation. I will endeavor to keep the blues up to speed on any and all options that occur between the current Legion game, and the upcoming 8.0 BfA patch.

I will try to remember to do a screenshot of the game's options window for video both before and after 8.0 to try and see better what if any errors might occur.

But some people are reporting significant performance penalties on the new "Fullscreen" because of the background. Is that something Blizz can address?

Thanks for the heads-up, Ythisens
07/05/2018 04:01 PMPosted by Dliver
But some people are reporting significant performance penalties on the new "Fullscreen" because of the background. Is that something Blizz can address?

They should be reporting that in the BfA bug forums for sure.
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/22814320/
I am willing to run this game forever in DX11 mode if thats what it takes to keep fullscreen. At the very least it should be enabled for players who use DX11. Even if it made my performance worse (which it doesnt) I would pay in FPS to not be forced to manually adjust settings all over my computer every time I want to play the game.
07/05/2018 01:11 AMPosted by Looneyluna
ITT people complaining about something that is probably a beta bug

lol

Beta bug? First off not a bug. Second, the launch is in August. It not that far away. Third, yes they are in fact, daft enough to let this go live.
On the beta now you'll see a lot of options carried over into the sliders such as Gamma, Contrast, and Brightness that currently on Legion don't exist for Windowed Fullscreen.

This was my only concern. Thank you
My understanding is that Microsoft is forcing all applications to be windowed. It's a move started in Windows 10.
07/05/2018 04:20 PMPosted by Nightmove
My understanding is that Microsoft is forcing all applications to be windowed. It's a move started in Windows 10.

TIL Microsoft doing stuff means Blizzard is an evil company that eats live babies with a side of mashed puppies and orphan's tears on top.

Also, it appears (according to Wikipedia) DX11 is over 10 years old.
Microsoft countinuing their crusade to do the most damage to PC Gaming in the name of "improvements".

Hopefully, like the Windows Live fiasco, they finally cave in the full screen thing. It IS a deal breaker for a lot of people, and no real workaround for devs.
Dont worry Mr. Blue, even after dispelling ignorance and acknowledging bugs, People will still keep making threads and whining about this for months. But alas, you did what you could.
07/05/2018 04:26 PMPosted by Agën
07/05/2018 04:20 PMPosted by Nightmove

TIL Microsoft doing stuff means Blizzard is an evil company that eats live babies with a side of mashed puppies and orphan's tears on top.

Also, it appears (according to Wikipedia) DX11 is over 10 years old.

The planet's 4.5 billion years old.

Somehow, we're on it.
07/05/2018 04:29 PMPosted by Keldoren
Microsoft countinuing their crusade to do the most damage to PC Gaming in the name of "improvements".

Hopefully, like the Windows Live fiasco, they finally cave in the full screen thing. It IS a deal breaker for a lot of people, and no real workaround for devs.
at the very least they could enable it for dx11 users. There is zero reason not to
Why can't BFA use the same version of DX being used right now on Legion?
07/05/2018 04:07 PMPosted by Ythisens
They should be reporting that in the BfA bug forums for sure.
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/22814320/

It's not a bug and it's not exclusive to BfA/WoW. Literally everything is more taxing in windowed mode compared to full screen mode.
07/05/2018 04:31 PMPosted by Tresska
07/05/2018 04:29 PMPosted by Keldoren

at the very least they could enable it for dx11 users. There is zero reason not to

That I can more then agree with. There has to be some benefit to going full in with DX12, especially for a game as old as this.

Is Microsoft ending 11's support? Offering better support for DX12 focused games? That would probably so it.
07/05/2018 04:39 PMPosted by Tormento

Within the next year or two theres a very high chance that Microsoft will end DX11 support meaning everything will HAVE to go DX12.

I suspect Blizzard is just getting ahead of this with the new expansion instead of trying to scramble if it happens between expansions.
07/05/2018 04:39 PMPosted by Tormento

Why cant it not? Dont you want your game to be as good as it can within the confines of its engine?