Aegis of Light - Secretly overpowered talent?

General Discussion
EDIT:
Well, this is a little embarassing.
The talent in question is currently present in game.

In which case, it's an under-used and potentially overpowered talent in the right circumstances.

... now where the hell is that "lock topic" option... or maybe people just won't let this topic die.

So I'll see if this topic can be taken in a different direction, because Passage of Arms IS ridiculously useful in FFXIV... and hypothetically, see IF Aegis of Light could be taken in a similar direction.

---

I was just looking up some of the new talents which are coming in BfA, and I noticed this little beauty in the level 90 talent tier:

http://bfa.wowhead.com/spell=204150/aegis-of-light

And for those who are too lazy to see it for yourself:
Aegis of Light
Channeled (6 sec cast)
3 min cooldown
Channels an Aegis of Light that protects you and all allies standing within 10 yards behind you for 6 sec, reducing all damage taken by 20%.

Now, what could potentially make this talent overpowered?

Well, in FFXIV we have a VERY similar ability named "Passage of Arms" which is exclusive to level 70 Paladins... and it's considered overpowered in that game for a reason.

There are some slight differences, notably the longer duration (18 seconds) and granting 100% block chance (20% damage reduction in FFXIV) and only 15% damage reduction for everyone else... but for all intents and purposes, it's the exact same ability functionally.

For reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_-O3JAB1Yc

Now, back to why is this thing overpowered.

Whenever a boss throws out an attack which requires the group to stack up for split damage, or just hits everyone for unavoidable damage? Throw up a Passage of Arms and everyone runs to it for damage reduction, saving the healers a big chunk of healing. Aegis of Light has a shorter duration, so chances there's a BIT more coordination involved (everyone run to the tank, THEN use the ability)... but essentially the same effect.

Used correctly, this talent will become MANDATORY... especially when you're having trouble surviving those points where bosses just throw out huge blasts of pain that the healers have trouble keeping up with.

Needless to say, I suspect there will be a higher demand for Paladin tanks based on this ability alone. It won't matter too much in low-difficulty content... but this will be an incredibly potent clutch ability for top-end content, which have the "trickle-down effect" with the community's general perception. Not to mention it's quite possibly too potent (especially as I'm not seeing the other tanks get similarly useful abilities), and very likely it will become permanently iconic for Prot Pallies in general.

... well, guess we'll wait and see how it plays out.
Cant wait to get Nerfed halfway through BfA
Did cheat death make rogues op for Kiljadon???

Well there's your answer, if the niche arizes it will be most wanted :)
This talent existed throughout all Legion and I never ever saw a Prot Paladin using it.
strong yes

absolutely mandatory for non-Mythic content, by no means

06/24/2018 02:19 PMPosted by Gwenvyvar
This talent existed throughout all Legion and I never ever saw a Prot Paladin using it.

probably because on top of Prot Pals being very underwhelming for the majority of Legion and needing personal survivability, the only AOE mechanics after NH were "soak a billion damage with a CD or wipe"
06/24/2018 02:11 PMPosted by Raelhorn
I was just looking up some of the new talents which are coming in BfA, and I noticed this little beauty in the level 90 talent tier:

http://bfa.wowhead.com/spell=204150/aegis-of-light

And for those who are too lazy to see it for yourself:
Aegis of Light
Channeled (6 sec cast)
3 min cooldown
Channels an Aegis of Light that protects you and all allies standing within 10 yards behind you for 6 sec, reducing all damage taken by 20%.

Well, in FFXIV we have a VERY similar ability named "Passage of Arms" which is exclusive to level 70 Paladins... and it's considered overpowered in that game for a reason.

There are some slight differences, notably the longer duration (18 seconds) and granting 100% block chance (20% damage reduction in FFXIV) and only 15% damage reduction for everyone else... but for all intents and purposes, it's the exact same ability functionally. I'm tempted to call it borderline plagiarism in regards to that,

For reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_-O3JAB1Yc

Now, back to why is this thing overpowered.

Whenever a boss throws out an attack which requires the group to stack up for split damage, or just hits everyone for unavoidable damage? Throw up a Passage of Arms and everyone runs to it for damage reduction, saving the healers a big chunk of healing. Aegis of Light has a shorter duration, so chances there's a BIT more coordination involved (everyone run to the tank, THEN use the ability)... but essentially the same effect.

Used correctly, this talent will become MANDATORY... especially when you're having trouble surviving those points where bosses just throw out huge blasts of pain that the healers have trouble keeping up with.

Needless to say, I suspect there will be a higher demand for Paladin tanks based on this ability alone. It won't matter too much in low-difficulty content... but this will be an incredibly potent clutch ability for top-end content, which have the "trickle-down effect" with the community's general perception. Not to mention it's quite possibly too potent (especially as I'm not seeing the other tanks get similarly useful abilities), and very likely it will become permanently iconic for Prot Pallies in general.

... well, guess we'll wait and see how it plays out.

H paladin have a 20% damage reduction aura mastery and 30% if they spec sacrifice and bubble during the damage.

Now a team using an prot paladin and H paladin will be mandatory if you are pushing high keys, but other than that, probably not OP. It also depends on how their other abilities work. In M+ it depends on how well your whole tool-kit is, not just 1 or 2 abilities that can carry your class.
06/24/2018 02:19 PMPosted by Gwenvyvar

*checks WoWhead*
*checks Prot Pally talents in-game*
*tries out ability*

... well, I'll be damned.
It IS there.

Come to think of it, I'm surprised it's so underused in that case... because it CAN be useful in the right circumstances, just based off of what I've seen from Passage of Arms.
06/24/2018 02:24 PMPosted by Raelhorn
Come to think of it, I'm surprised it's so underused in that case... because it CAN be useful in the right circumstances, just based off of what I've seen from Passage of Arms.

different games

different mechanics

back in MoP/WoD, there was plenty of use for this sort of thing, as well as before

now though, almost no huge mechanic that requires a full raid-heal situation takes place in melee, or makes it safe to be in melee
World of NERFcraft, remember that.
06/24/2018 02:11 PMPosted by Raelhorn

The least used Talent of Legion, suddenly OP in BfA ?

06/24/2018 02:19 PMPosted by Guccisaurus
probably because on top of Prot Pals being very underwhelming for the majority of Legion and needing personal survivability, the only AOE mechanics after NH were "soak a billion damage with a CD or wipe"

Or because the talent is pretty niche in its uses.
06/24/2018 02:27 PMPosted by Beraht
Or because the talent is pretty niche in its uses

that's effectively what I said, with an explanation to it
I am a little uncertain if Aegis of Light will translate the same as Passage of Arms from FF14.

Last time I was playing the level cap at 70 for FF14, some of the bosses had an intermission phase where they cannot be targeted. They essentially yell a paraphrase of "IMMA CHARGIN' MAH LAZA BEEM" then fire the nuke everywhere. Considering there is nothing to damage at that point and there is no other telegraphed AoE for 5 - 10ish seconds, everyone can stack behind the paladin safely.

In WoW, it is rare for bosses to chicken out into "evade laser beam" mode. Even if they do evade out, they tend to send out adds. At best, you may be able to reduce damage for melee, but most of the raid wide AoEs happen too fast to allow ranged time to get behind the paladin.
When a paladin uses that he can't do anything else, meaning if the boss decides to take a swing at him while he's channeling it, he's gonna asplode.

When a pally uses that in FFXIV, he still blocks all attacks coming at him, meaning the pally won't splat if the boss decides to smack him down.
06/24/2018 02:59 PMPosted by Tigore
In WoW, it is rare for bosses to chicken out into "evade laser beam" mode. Even if they do evade out, they tend to send out adds. At best, you may be able to reduce damage for melee, but most of the raid wide AoEs happen too fast to allow ranged time to get behind the paladin.

There's also the question of healing. I have no idea how healing works in FFXIV, but in WoW there are cooldowns with the express purpose of "restore the whole raid from moderate amounts of damage" (Tranquility comes to mind). In heroic and especially mythic raiding, if there's a fight where inescapable raid damage is a major point of failure, you'll naturally stack healers who have good buttons in that role. You can also stack DPS who have defensive cooldowns for that purpose. That will make it less important to have your tank doing the same thing.
The point I was trying to make is Passage of Arms still felt situation to me in FF14. They still do nothing while using the cooldown and they normally want to attack with the DPS combo to get mana resources. Usually in 4 mans, I only see it used when they have nothing to attack anyhow. Since FF14 bosses have more phases that can make this happen, it has seen more use than the WoW Paladin Aegis of Light.

As for the FF14 healers, all 3 can use cooldown combos to handle burst healing albeit Scholars have a more complex look at it. This was how I used the cooldowns for the healers if you are curious.

White Mage - pop "Thin Air" for mana free heals then spam Medica / Cure 3
Astrologian - Pop "Light Speed" to convert the Helios spam to be instant and use 50% less mana
Scholar - have the Eos fairy prepare her Group HoT (Whispering Dawn) while you use Succor to barrier up everyone, pop an Aether Flow charge for the spell "Indomitability" during the burst, then pop "Emergency Tactics" to make the next Succor do pure healing if that's still not enough